One of the things I enjoy about my job is watching the kids come up with their own role-playing games.
At my old place, it was often the restaurant game. We had a bin filled with things like plates and menu folders, order pads, little battery operated votive candles... well, a ton of stuff.
If you only click on one link today, it should be this one. That was one of the funniest things that ever happened at my job. And really, you should read about the main course offered by Annie, too.
Okay, are you back?
Feeling hungry?
::snicker::
So week before last, Amelia invented a game with the other kids.
We were on the playground when I overheard her saying, "Who wants to play 'Dave to the office'?"
I didn't change my demeanor or appear to be listening but sensing something funny, I tuned in immediately. I only bring you the best, ya know.
Dave is our custodian. He is a busy guy, runs all day long. He's doing the work of two or even three people.
We don't have a night custodian because the district pays a shit starting wage and no one wants the job. You'd think they'd catch on when droves of people refuse to even apply, but no.
So all day long over the intercom, the kids are hearing the phrase, "Dave to the office."
I listened as Amelia explained the game to the other kids. "Well, this is the office," she said, climbing up to the top of the slide and standing on the square covered platform.
She held out her arms and turned in a circle.
"And we get to decide who's gonna be Dave. Then, Dave goes to the office while everyone else hides. Dave has to count to 100. Then he finds you. And he takes you to the office, where you become Dave, too. Then we all get to be Daves. And we go find you and turn you into Dave, too. When there's only one kid left who isn't Dave, the game is over and that kid gets to be the new Dave."
They gathered in a circle and she had all the kids put one foot out into the center.
She touched each foot, one at a time while she recited, "Inky, Pinky, Ponkey, Father bought a Donkey. Donkey died, Father cried, Inky, Pinky, Ponkey."
When the rhyme ended, the foot she touched last was removed from the circle while she said, "And YOU are NOT Dave!"
Chelsea said, "Where did you get the rhyme?"
"Oh, I made it up."
Chelsea Jr (little sister Bailey) said, "I don't believe you!"
"Oh it's true," Amelia assured them. "You can google it."
I don't know if either one of them uses Google, but I looked it up. Amelia isn't the person who invented the rhyme. But as far as I know, 'Dave to the Office' is her game.
I told Dave about it. He found it hilarious, as I knew he would.
I'm sure it made you snicker a bit, too. Didn't it?
Kids are always tuning in the adult world, aren't they?
ReplyDeleteThey don't miss anything. One more reason I enjoy them. :)
DeleteAh, they don't listen but they are always listening. :-)
ReplyDeleteSelective hearing. I have that, too. Probably why I get along so well with children. :-D
DeleteOmg, I would have wet myself! Never heard of inky, pinky, pokey either....
ReplyDeleteI learn new stuff all the time at work. :-D
Delete