I know I told you already that I've decided that I can't help him, fix anything that's going on with him, run a program that accommodates his issues and is still a safe place for the other kids.
Last week he got pissed off, ran across the room like a dervish, threw a student desk halfway across the room and jumped up on the table. Ran the length of the table, then jumped to another table. The tables are on wheels. They're ancient, and the locking mechanisms that were designed to make them stay in place are worn out. Both tables rolled a bit and Louis had a difficult time keeping his balance.
Miraculously, no one was injured.
The desk tossing took place on the other end of the room so the rest of the children weren't in harm's way.
But we have three little desks and a table at our end of the room, too. I guess I should feel lucky that he ran away before throwing the desk, huh?
Obviously this isn't a kid that is ever going to fit in.
Because he has, um, documented issues, the organization I work for is unable to just toss him out. There must be a paper trail and a proven effort to deal with the situation(s) appropriately before they can say, "Sorry, your child is unable to attend the program anymore."
I understand it, although I disagree. I think there are certain disciplinary infractions that should be an automatic suspension/expulsion. I think when a six year old repeatedly blurts out, "Fuck," in a mixed age group of other children, some even younger than he is, that child needs to be elsewhere. Now.
Especially when there is absolutely no remorse. He doesn't care. There is no reasoning with him, one can't sit down and discuss rationally since he won't sit. Or discuss.
He checks out as soon as I say his name. Some kids have wandering eyes when I talk to them... he does, too. But his brain wanders away immediately, right along with 'em.
Zzzzip... and he's gone.
I know he has serious issues. I am sorry he does.
He's intelligent, a cute kid, and does have some good qualities. I feel sorry for him.
I feel sorry for his parents. Having a child is a gamble.
You don't know what you're going to get. They definitely have a difficult hand to play.
Being the messed up kid can't be a lot of fun. Being different, sticking out in a group, being in trouble all the time, never being happy, content, or okay... that has to suck. And he's six. He has a long road ahead. I feel bad for him and everyone involved.
If I lacked compassion for children, even the messed up ones, the job I do wouldn't be a good fit.
I regret the necessity to document the shitty behavior.
I regret the happiness I feel at the prospect of not having to deal with him anymore. Even though it's taking a long damn time.
But he's a wreck and can't control his impulses. I never know what's going to set him off. I get no warning. What would happen if Alex had been sitting on the floor next to the desk that Louis decided to throw? Alex loves to play with the Bionicles and is often on the rug, doing just that. What if that desk had landed on his head?
It makes me shudder to contemplate.
There is no way stop Louis, since he's unpredictable.
I didn't see the tantrum coming at all.
I am glad no one was harmed.
We are not equipped to do one on one therapy/monitoring of a child. Not only am I working alone, I'm not trained in dealing with the profound issues that he's displaying. Not my area of expertise, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I'm a friggin' babysitter.
Mary Poppins, not Sigmund Freud. Or _______. Fill in with one of the psycho guys/girls of your choice.. :)
So my manager person has been trying to connect via telephone with Louis' father. To let him know what's going on, to try and figure out ways to deal with his behaviors. To get Dad to give her some input into how to guide him. Not that he has a clue. He gets the same shit at home that they get from the kid at school and I get from him in program.
She emailed me last night. I'm pretty sure she isn't even reading the same book... she can't be. 'Cause we're definitely not on the same page.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I pushed him for some ideas and we discussed creating an area in your room that could be his “reset” place for when he is feeling worked up. He mentioned Louis loves the magnets and the legos so making giving him an activity in that space for him to refocus on. He said he would touch bases with you about logistics. Again I’m not sure how much this will solve, but it’s worth a try and is part of the hoops we’re jumping through to show we are exhausting our options.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And my reply...
Thank you for the update.
Thank you for the update.
I am not sure about this.
I
don't have a problem making an area for Louis to go reset, but if I put
magnets or LEGO or some other special thing in that area for him, he
will think he is the only person who has the right to touch them.
He does that already, actually. I need to intervene more than once daily so that other kids have an opportunity to touch/build with the magnets as it is.
So I would need another set of magnets specifically for the cool down area. In addition, it's not fair or balanced to have an area set aside for one child.
He does that already, actually. I need to intervene more than once daily so that other kids have an opportunity to touch/build with the magnets as it is.
So I would need another set of magnets specifically for the cool down area. In addition, it's not fair or balanced to have an area set aside for one child.
I
also think that it's important to work at including him in the group
rather than finding still another way that he is different/set apart.
He's not like the other kids and he knows it already.
I don't think being unsafe, defiant or rude should be rewarded with a private space and toys that are just for him.
I don't think being unsafe, defiant or rude should be rewarded with a private space and toys that are just for him.
If
we can work something out that meets the goal of allowing him to reset
without setting him apart and making his abnormal behaviors something to
strive for, I am all for it.
I do feel that it's counter-productive to reward his behaviors with special privileges.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kind of pisses me off, to be honest.
:::sigh:::
Sucks!
ReplyDeleteYeah, that's one way of putting it.
Delete::sigh::
Excellent response to the manager ~ you're spot on, and from what I've read will not solve any problems. If the desk tossing wasn't the first time he's put other kids at risk, I would think the danger he poses to the other kids would be enough to boot him out.
ReplyDeleteAs WSF says: sucks!
His dad is thinking only of his own child. Understandable. I know as a parent that other people's kids aren't even close to being as important as my own kid(s). So when he comes in to talk to me this week, I am going to speak carefully. But rewarding shit behavior with special gifts isn't going to happen on my watch.
DeletePlus then you have to explain to the other kids why they can not go to Louis's special chill place, or use his special chill toys. Unless their is a specific 1:1 aide glued to this kid to keep him and the other kids safe he really can not be in the group. My daughter had a similar kiddo with special needs in the after school program she worked at last year - the special rec. folks came in a couple times to give advice, but expected my dd and her co-workers (young college kids mostly) to handle things. Did not work out well.
ReplyDeletethere not their in second sentence. I am Kueen of hte tyypoes.
DeleteTypos don't scare me. :)
DeleteI am really not pleased with the way this has been handled. And because I am not afraid to speak up, I plan to let them know. I do understand that due to ADA they must take specific steps to cover their own hineys... and I respect that, as I like to have my (rather large) butt covered, too. And I know they will back me up. It's just that their timetable is different than the one I'm using.
I do feel very sorry for Louis. I wish I *could* help him. It hurts my heart to give up on a child, even one who is most definitely not okay.
Oh, and you correctly hyphenated co-workers. Hyphenated because one doesn't wish to be accused of being a cow orker. Hahaha.
DeleteI think he might notice he gets his way either way. The thing that bothers me more is that the other kids around Louis don't get rewarded for bad behavior! Also, Louis is allowed (or takes), a lot of leeway for his use of bad language. Oh, most of the kids have heard, (even used) the "f" word, but not around you, and hopefully not at home.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine what teachers did with students like this in the '50s, when I started school! I've tried, and I just can't imagine my classmates throwing desks, using any curse words, running and ripping like Louis. Of course, that was 60+ years ago.
I just admire you for continuing to work with clueless "managers", when you have to wonder if they truly think before they offer impossible solutions to you!
Back then I suspect actual hands on punishment and/or expulsion were in use.
DeleteNot to say I agree with either - but back then that is what happened.
I've learned that it doesn't matter who signs my paycheck, I work for the kids. So the manager isn't really a big issue here. Although the killer bitch from Hell that I walked out on was. :)
DeleteBut yeah. I work for the kids. Even ones like Louis, who need support and care. I don't want him in my program if he's going to continue being the way he is, but I also know he can't help it.
I don't know what they did 'back then' but I suspect that most kids behaved out of fear. Louis and kids like him seem to be fearless. I bet I'd make millions if I could figure it out, though.
Probably our parents told us how to act, and we didn't want to even think what the future held for us if we got a note from the teacher. :Gasp:
ReplyDelete