Followers

Thursday, September 07, 2017

Weak..er Week One

It's been... busy. Interesting.

Our cafeteria is small. And the space I can utilize for my program is even smaller. I can put a couple tables out, but all my stuff has to be pushed against the wall until all the other kids have been picked up.

Everyone is dismissed to the cafeteria after school if they're not riding the bus, and their parents come in and get them. So I sit with my kids over at the far end of the the room, we chat a little and watch all the activity, and we wait until everyone is gone before we lay out the rugs and put out the bins of LEGO and the dollhouses and art supplies.

I have to arrive quite a bit early to get my things out of the storage area and brought up to where we're going to be hanging out.

Then I have to stow all that stuff against the back wall, carts turned around so they're facing that wall because it attracts other kids. Sort of funny. I had to tell one persistent little guy this afternoon four times, "Dude. Unless you're part of the SDCC, you can't be over here. Please go join your class over there."

He apologized very cutely each time, "I'm sorry, I was thinking that just anyone could come play with the toys," and walked away slowly, backward. Looking at each bin and box carefully. And then very slowly coming back, moving from one table to the next, sitting at each one for a few moments before moving again.
I guess he figured if he moved slowly enough I wouldn't notice him creeping up. Very funny.

It's cumbersome, but it's only one school year.
I keep telling myself that.
It's just one school year.

I've had several families stop by and request a registration packet. That doesn't mean they'll all enroll, but there is considerably more interest exhibited this year than there was at this time last year.

I lost Dane... he is now in middle school.
And Billy. He's going to The Madhouse day care. That's exactly what it is, too. I have had several kids in my programs over the years who went to that program. It's nuts. I wouldn't put my dog in it. Of course I don't have a dog these days.

As sensitive as he is, and as tightly wound as he can be, it's not going to be a good fit. I hope that his mom gets him out of there before he's damaged by it. It took me a whole school year to get him feeling decent about himself and behaving appropriately. I'm sure it will take much less time than that to mess things up for him. Not that there's a damn thing I can do. My office staff at the school was quite vocal about it... "What the hell is she thinking?" about his mom.

I can tell you in one word.
Finances.

Although our company offers a scholarship program, it's not a full ride unless the family's need is very great. So they were getting a partial scholarship, but it was still a reach for her to afford the after school program.

::sigh:::

Nothing I can do.

Caden's mom 'forgot' to fill out the paperwork that I gave to them at the end of May, so Caden can't rejoin us until next week.

I have the rest of 'my' kids back. Oh wait..Gabriel. Gabriel is going to a new school, so he's moved out of our district.

Everyone else returned.
Parents have been extremely complimentary and word is getting out. The people who have stopped by for registration packets say things like, "Colin's mom has had so many good things to say about you!"

It's nice to have the support from the program families for sure.

I made up a little care package for the office staff, the principal, the cafeteria lead person and the custodian. I saved the cans from green beans/peas all summer.

The cans with the pop tops. If you flip them over and use the type of can opener that takes off the entire lid rather than the inside, which makes a sharp edge, you can preserve the pop top.

Clean it and dry it... in my case for a few weeks. Eric harasses me (raised eyebrow, sardonic grin... "Why are we saving THIS garbage?") but he is just teasing. He knows I have a reason for keeping trash around.

Pack stuff into the can, this time a note and a bunch of different candies,(NestlΓ© Crunch, 100 Grand, Hershey Hugs and Riesen)  glue the bottom back on and wrap it with scrapbook paper or gift wrap.


The note said
It's CRUNCH week.
I'm sure you can use some HUGS.
What you do is worth much more than money, but who can't use an extra 100 GRAND... am I right?
When things get crazy, have some chocolate and remember the RIESEN you do what you do.

Have a great year,

Susan

The feedback has been positive.

So I'm tired, my knee hurts (and so does the ankle they 'fixed' a year ago) things are hectic, I am not keeping up with paperwork and need to do more sorting and boxing and figuring out what needs to stay/go to storage for a year. But the kids are having fun and so am I... which is why I do what I do.

8 comments:

  1. Love the candy can idea. You are so clever, but then I guess that is why you do what you do. (and patient because as I read this some times I think I'd just cry and walk...bad me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am great at seeing an idea somewhere and filing it away in some corner of my brain for 'later'. I saw the can idea (it wasn't candy in the can, though) a LONG time ago. And it just seemed like the thing to do this time. :)

      Delete
  2. Like Peggy, I like the candy idea, and it shows your thoughtfulness. Could you approach someone (like housekeeping) and ask for help with setting up and putting away? I realize they wouldn't be paid, but there might be someone who would be willing to help you. Sometimes all we have to do is ask.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the setup is all on me, unfortunately. But I'm concerned about the asbestos hazard in the storage area. Long story. Will try to write it up this week.

      Delete
  3. And I thought I had an "interesting" first week of school...
    And hey, your note is exactly what I would have sent to you if you hadn't beaten me to it!
    (Insert smiley, it turned out as two weird ?? when I tried to add a yellow one)
    I wouldn't have thought of the can though, but maybe it's better this way (especially considering your husbands nuts...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thinking about Eric's nuts governs everything I do. Haha.

      The candy thing made a lot of people smile, I think it was worth the effort.

      Delete
  4. What a week! I couldn't do it....but glad you can

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wonder if *I* am up to it. Geez. It was a good week but busy. And I'm glad our district didn't start classes until Wednesday, made a nice short week.

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?