When Caden's dad came to pick him up this evening, he smelled very strongly of cigarette smoke. He left a cloud of odor behind in our tiny room.
After he left, two of the three boys who were still there had some comments to make.
Dane waved a hand theatrically in front of his face.
"Man, that guy stinks!!"
Colin agreed. "Eww! What is that smell?!"
Billy said, "It's cigarettes. My dad smokes, too."
Dane said, "WHY??!?"
Billy answered, "Well, he says it's because the smoke smells good. But," (and here he lowered his voice confidentially), "I think he's just a dick."
I wasn't sure I'd heard him correctly.. he didn't really call his dad a dick, did he???
So I asked him, "What does that mean?"
He answered, "You know! When you can't stop doing something! You're a dick to it!"
I answered him with, "Yes, it's hard when you're addicted to something. I hope your dad will stop smoking someday."
No, I didn't laugh.
I'm snickering now, though.
Priceless!
ReplyDeleteHe was so sincere, too.
DeleteCracked me up.
I'm glad you asked him.
ReplyDeleteAlways, ALWAYS ask. Kids sometimes say things that would blow you away. And you think you know what they're saying, but sometimes it's a totally different thing they're saying. Like this blast from the past..."Yesterday, two of the smallest kids, A, age 5 and H, aged barely six had their own little apartment. One of the older kids came to tell us that A and H were 'playing nasty' and that their dolls were naked and lying on top of each other on the bed.
DeleteSunshine questioned them. "What were you doing with the Barbies?"
A said, all wide-eyed, "We were sexing them."
Sunshine didn't laugh. I swear I would have at least snorted.
She asked A, "What were they doing?"
And A said, "Sexing! You know, when you lie down naked with someone and you kiss them."
So she had a little talk about some things being inappropriate and suggested they dress their dolls and have them stay out of bed.
Good advice, I think."