Followers

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Learning at Lunch with Friends

Had lunch with Sunshine and Carey today. Sunshine had a birthday this last week and her partner set up a lunch date for the three of us.

We met at noon. I had to walk a couple blocks, but it was fine. I am wearing shoes on both feet now, although I have to loosen the right one, it's not too bad. It did not hurt me to walk that distance. Both in the larger sense (It wouldn't hurt you to get more exercise, you know...) and in the regular sense. It did not cause me pain to walk.

Carey is now working for a different branch of the company. The difference is night and day. She is being treated with the utmost respect, she has gotten a raise to bring her pay to scale with the highest paid people on our side of things, and she's very happy. She gets 40 hours a week, which she really wanted, and things are going well.

Also working with Carey in the same little branch is Karen. Karen worked as my assistant for quite awhile. She transferred to the other place earlier this year, but not before Fluffy offered HER the top of the pay scale to take over as site director at another school. That particular school had Shelley, a site director who was doing fine, but Fluffy didn't like her. So Fluffy started a campaign of harassment and finally drove Shelley out. She offered Karen a starting wage that's higher than what many of us make after years and years and years of service. No, it's not fair. Yes, I know life isn't fair. But fuck.

I got a raise this paycheck. A whopping 40 cents. Bringing me to within a dollar and 20 cents of the hourly wage she offered to Karen as a NEW SITE DIRECTOR.

I happen to know that she's paying one of the male site directors that amount as well. Which puts it in a whole different category. When you're paying men more than you're paying women to do the SAME JOB, you're in legal trouble if someone wants to pursue it.

I'm not at all certain that someone doesn't want to pursue that.

I resent the shit out of having to be the one to leave.
Fluffy needs to get the fuck out.

Even though I have to say my feelings about lawyers are pretty similar to Shakespeare's, they do have their uses. I may even call someone.

Or maybe I'll get a job somewhere and be able to just tell her to fuck off.

But I will be sending some emails up the line.

Fucking jerks.

6 comments:

  1. Two shoes and walking okay! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really, really happy with how easy this recovery has been. It hasn't been painless, but I was up and walking about an hour after surgery, and I have very little pain now.

      Delete
  2. One of the few things I can say about the PO is that our salaries are all public knowledge. Our pay scale is posted on the internet. So I know that myself and my male counterpart (with the same exact start date) make the same.

    Now... do not get me started on the quality of work... but the basic job... we get paid the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish our company would do that. But since they're shitty people, I don't think they really care. Fucking jerks.

      Delete
  3. Recently one of my coworkers and I were discussing the salary comparison and recalled how our employee manual states that discussion of salary between employees is not OK, and could even result in termination of employment.....however, there is a rather obscure law that states clearly that employers can not terminate an employee for discussing their pay between themselves. I was completely shocked, because every single employer I've ever worked for had this same addendum in their policy manual.
    ~We saved a copy of the article. My coworker asked where we should keep it, and I said "lets put it in the file with all the other stuff. Why should we hide it?" And there it sits in case we ever require it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been threatened before when starting a job... 'now don't discuss what you're being paid or you will be fired'.

      I always think, 'Don't shit on people... this is a definite sign that YOU are an asshole!!'

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?