So Doctor Opinion, where my podiatrist sent me, told me that what we needed to do was get a Lidocaine injection in the joint.
"If that works, and takes away the pain for awhile, then that means the less-invasive surgery. Instead of fusing the ankle, it becomes an arthroscopic surgery and not as much discomfort and not as long a recovery period."
So that's what I did today.
I have done things that were more fun than having a needle stuck into my ankle. No, really. Seriously. On the list of things that are fun, that is actually near the bottom of the list.
However. The lidocaine worked. I had almost no pain in my ankle for most of the rest of the day. It started to bother me again around 4, so I had a good six hours without the constant aching and the lovely locking up trick my ankle does. I appreciate that more than I'd imagined.
The idea of having the needle stuck in there was really horrible. I'm not afraid of needles, I've had enough surgeries and stuff that it no longer worries me. But right in the joint? ::shudder::
So, next step is to talk to my doctor tomorrow, let him know it worked, and then set up an appointment for surgery with Dr. Opinion. Apparently my doctor wants that surgeon to do the surgery. I expressed that I didn't really care for the way he ran his office (the person who originally took my call was not only stupid, she was snotty and I wanted to tell her to fuck off and die), I could hear the conversation about other patients... AND about myself, while sitting in the exam room. In addition, he sent his P.A. in to talk with me, then the P.A. went and talked to the doctor ABOUT me. A game of telephone, medical office style. Not my favorite way of dealing with stuff. And when I go back, I will say so.
So that's the news about the ankle.
Tomorrow, if I manage it, I will give you news about summer program. Which started today, and was understaffed and out of ratio for awhile. It would have been longer, but 2nd staff person showed up WAY early.
Another, "I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO!" moment.
Have I mentioned lately that I really dislike the "manager" we're stuck with?
Blech.
I just got some new socks for my feet. They hold ice packs... it's like wearing boots full of ice. Fingers crossed it works, otherwise I too am off to the doctor.
ReplyDeleteI had cortisone shots back in the day... pain so bad I threw up and then passed out on the table. Good times really.
Too bad we didn't live closer... we could rehab from our "minimally invasive" surgery together. :)
Sounds fun. We could tell dirty jokes and drink. ;)
DeleteOr, more likely, draw little pictures and discuss the universe and our place on the fringes. :)
Ugh, just reading the words (about the shot) makes me nauseous. I'm glad that it means you won't have to have the fusion though, that is good news! I thought you weren't going to work during the summer???? Or just until you have your surgery?
ReplyDeleteUh, I just read your previous post, so I see you are off for the summer. Oops.
DeleteYes, off for summer. My doctor even wrote me the little note.
DeleteI have been working on the two weeks of curriculum 'enhancement' they asked me to do. Hours and hours and hours.
Of course I'm not qualified to do curriculum, you need a master's degree for that.
ouch! I have had injections in my knees and sciatic joint... so not fun
ReplyDeleteIt's pretty low on my list of 'things I really must try again before I die'. But the relief from pain for the afternoon was a nice thing.
DeleteI'm beginning to think that the BS at work never ends, nor the pain and discomfort that seems to be ongoing.
ReplyDeleteWell, work sucks because the big fish keeps hiring idiots who really shouldn't be managers. Fluffy is just the latest in a string of idiots.
DeleteI am aging. Not even gracefully unless you consider how great my hair looks for 55. :)
So I'm hoping that after the ankle surgery, things will improve somewhat. I am beginning to consider the knee replacement, too. Weighing pros and cons.