About a month ago, I got a sales call on my personal cell phone. I answered it because I was wearing my headset and driving and was expecting Eric to call me.
When I found out it was a sales call, I disconnected. If I want to buy something, I go to the store and buy it. Or go visit Amazon. Goodwill. I'm sure you get the idea.
My voice message says something like, "This is Susan, sorry I missed you. Leave me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can." What I don't say is, "If this is a sales call, I hope you brought a book to read or something to do, 'cause you're going to be waiting a long time for that return call." I probably should add that to the message. Maybe it would help with the sales calls?
If I don't recognize the number calling, I don't usually answer, either.
So I went online to make sure my number is on the do not call list. It was. Is. And since I did that, the sales calls have gone NUTS. I am getting like three a week! What the hell???
This morning, an 800 number rang my phone. I didn't recognize the number so I let it go to voicemail. Usually sales callers don't leave a message, but this one did. Verizon. They wanted me to know that my contracts on our phones have expired! Um, yeah, that's the idea. I don't want a new contract, I'll just keep paying my bill for the old one. Apparently we qualify for 'free' upgrades, too. Uh huh. Free. As in an extra 20 to 40 bucks a month. Don't need it. Don't want it. We have three lines of service for about 70 dollars a month.
I use my phone to say things like, "Hey, do you want me to stop at the store for anything?" when I call Eric.
Or to text pictures of funny things I see to Lyssa/Matt.
Or to send myself emailed reminders of things I need to do or buy or get.
So I don't need a new phone. I definitely don't need to be spending more money on stuff, either. I do that just fine.
It's sort of weird to have your cell phone carrier call you and try to sell you stuff, isn't it? I know I'm not answering the phone when it's a strange number anyway, but I'm curious to see if they will call again.
We stay at Wyndham resorts when we take our anniversary trip. Apparently that means they can call us even though we are on the no-call list. When my phone buzzes and 'Ignore Wyndham' blinks at me, it makes me giggle.
So I can't think of any good reason to upgrade my phone or lock myself into another phone contract.
I know a lot of you are probably reading my blog on your phone.
I use my laptop to write, though.
It's amazing how fast they get your number into their systems too! I don't like it!
ReplyDeleteReally fries my shorts. ::sigh::
DeleteText messages. We use Cricket and autopay (saves $5). They text me the day before the payment is due and again after the payment is made. OK, but why do it late at night when I'm asleep?
ReplyDeletePGE, the giant conglomerate I pay a monthly ransom to for electricity, had an option to sign up for text messages. They did the same thing, text when they received payment. They thought that two or three AM was a good time to do that. So I had to get rid of that great 'helpful' option.
DeleteMy very favorite thing about my iPhone is the "block this caller" feature. It's a work phone and I get plenty of calls from numbers I don't know so I have to answer them. But as soon as I hear "Rachel from card services" I hang up and block the number.
ReplyDeleteWe have iPhones at work. I do appreciate that feature. Have a recycled number there, and whoever 'Theresa' was, she owes a LOT of people money. They call at least once a week. I have figured out how to block them, though, and I agree, it's a nice feature. I don't have that feature on my LG Octane.
DeletePlaces you have done business with and non profits including political campaigns can still all even if you are on the do not call list
ReplyDeleteYep. That pisses me off, too. Instead of having to opt OUT of calls, we should be allowed to opt IN. And if we do not wish to be called, it should be easy to keep those calls from happening. Of course we (collective of no one in particular) can't afford to buy politicians.
DeleteOn our land line you wouldn't believe how many hang-ups we get in a day. We use the ans. machine to screen our calls. friends/family know that I'll pick up if I can get to it in time.
ReplyDeleteWe don't have a land line anymore. Got rid of it about two years ago. Funny, I felt guilty for doing it, too. Poor little phone number had been with us for 25 years.
DeleteThe do-not-call list does nothing. On my cell I have an app that let's me block these people. After you block a few they all stop calling. It was worth the 7 dollars.😃 if they call I must admit I do enjoy when it rings and I see that they are cut off. I'm twisted like that.
ReplyDelete