While wandering around news websites this morning, I found a link and an article regarding this 2010 study.
While I don't think something like this should be forced, the
participants were volunteers, contributing to the advancement of
psychology.
The gist of the study was can we make being in a relationship accessible to laboratory study and experimental manipulation?
I found it fascinating, but the cynical part of my insides was jumping up and down hollering Whatttt??? They paid someone to come up with this???
I always want to know more. How did they come up with the questions they asked/answered in their sessions? How much honesty/validity is there when the participants know that all their conversations are being monitored and that they're being controlled/manipulated? (PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!)The gist of the study was can we make being in a relationship accessible to laboratory study and experimental manipulation?
I found it fascinating, but the cynical part of my insides was jumping up and down hollering Whatttt??? They paid someone to come up with this???
Anyway. There were three sets of questions. Some superficial, some with a little more depth. And although it's been a long time since I saw a meme go around on blogger (does anyone besides me actually blog all the time anymore?) with a list of questions and a tag or two to get other people to do the same questions/answers, that's sort of how it struck me.
The questions ranged from
Deeper thoughts than I'd share with someone I hardly know, but maybe that's just me.
I think that there's a lot of room for dishonesty, too. Not necessarily because the participant may be a liar, but because in a situation like that, it seems that you'd try to impress the person more than you ordinarily would. Make an effort to be likable and approachable and give the impression of being open. And a room full of psychology people would be evaluating your body language and tone of voice. Or I'd think so, anyway.
The people who wrote the study must have had some sort of preconceived notion(s) about proving their theory, thereby slanting questions and the process toward reaching that conclusion.
So there really is no point to this ramble. I found the study interesting but I can't think of a way to use the results to do much of anything other than write a research paper and get some more grant money to do another study.
Like most educrats, justifying their existence to they can continue to exist and justify their existence.
And do the really important questions ever get asked?

I have no idea... the study lost me on the first page. Maybe it's because I'm toast right now, or maybe I've lost some of my intelligence from sucking in too many mail truck fumes. Who knows. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd while I barely blog anymore, I'm right there with you with the memes... no one wants to know that much about me, ever.
I doubt you've lost your intelligence. I find the older my kids get, the more brain I actually remember I have. :)
DeleteAnd you should definitely blog more. Maybe in your spare time.
I used to cringe when someone would tag me for a meme. Never liked those things! Felt obligated in the beginning, but finally just said, no thank you.
ReplyDeleteI usually enjoyed doing them, it gave me some stuff to write about. A couple of them were really enjoyable.
DeleteI did get a few that I had to say no thanks to, though.
I am always pondering what I want to say next. I seem to get spiritually constipated if I don't write something. And of course my tens of readers are counting on me.