Followers

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Update on the Beeeeez. And Jeezus.

Apparently the exterminator came out again today.
The hive was large. And the critters who were out whoring around when they poisoned the nest came back to a bunch of dead friends, which pissed them off. We were told not to go near the playground until Monday.

That works for me. I'd be just as happy to never go near that place again.

In other news, we have a little girl who's been with us for the first time this summer. Amanda* is a very sweet kid. Always looking out for the smaller kids, opening doors for people, helping the staff if we need help, being just... kind. Yesterday when Erin was stung, the first thing Amanda did was make a card for her and get all the kids to sign it. Just a nice person, you know?


I met her dad for the first time yesterday afternoon. And as I always try to do, found something nice to say to him about his child.

"Amanda is one of the nicest kids I've met," I told him. "She just has the kindest heart. I am really enjoying her company this summer."

He smiled. "Yes," he said, a little pompously, "We're youth pastors. God has been good. She is nice because she wants to please Jesus."

It's hard for me to keep my mouth shut sometimes. I'm okay with someone believing in a god. I'm really not okay when some invisible guy in the sky is getting the credit for something like the behavior/personality/kindness of a person.

She isn't being nice because she's being watched. She's being nice because she has a kind heart. And it ticked me off for someone to say that.

I said something non-committal. Inwardly rolled my eyes.

Sometimes it's hard to say nothing when something really needs to be said.

8 comments:

  1. Dorothy Law Nolte wrote a poem called Children Learn What They Live. I think that every expecting parent should be required to attend a discussion group regarding that poem. It says a lot about how to instill the values we desire in children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read that. It's really wonderful.
      I am a big 'model the behavior you wish to see' person.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:58 AM

    In case my long comment didn't post. You are not alone in that eye roll. How great to be around a kind kid.
    Diane J Standiford

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a neat kid. And her dad is really a nice person from the little I've seen. I don't have a problem with him believing in whatever he believes, religion-wise, but I hate that he's giving credit to an invisible man for his daughter's kindness and depth of character.

      Delete
  3. You know where I stand on the whole God thing. But, that father's response made my jaw drop!! What a turd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really doesn't seem like a bad person. Seriously. But whether one believes or does not believe, the child deserves some credit for how sweet and kind she is.

      Delete
  4. OY! Glad you managed to hold back a snappy response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier than you might think. I say a lot here, where I don't mention the name of the company I work for or the real names of children/co-workers. Having the blog has kept me sane through all the work comp stuff and other craziness.

      Like I said, I have no issue with the guy's religious beliefs. Religion brings comfort to millions of people,who am I to take that away?

      But that adorable little girl, with a deeply kind heart and spirit is getting no credit. And that does bug me.

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?