Followers

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Untrainable

So I have to head out for training today.
Five hours in an office building downtown. Woohoo.

However. Sunshine, who is as vocal as I am, talked to our manager at great length regarding our Saturday training. Three of us have been exempted from that training. A relief.

It's not that I think I know everything. A long way from that. But the topics covered in this particular training are geared toward new hires and people who can use a little extra instruction in crowd management and assorted other exciting things.

It would have been an utter waste of my time and the company's money to pay me to sit there all day long. So I'm happy about that.

It just occurred to me that I only have five more days of work at our summer site. I'm happy about that, too.

The energy level has changed. We have added children who have not been with us this summer as their teacher parents go to their respective schools to prep for fall. Some of them fit in well, some do not.

The kids are excited about new backpacks, new school supplies and new shoes. Almost every single one of them hates school, though.

They're wired. They're tired. They're climbing the walls. Literally. Yesterday afternoon I saw Bradley* brace his feet and hands against the walls of the small hallway that leads into the bathroom. He was halfway up to the ceiling before I could even get the words out of my mouth to get down.

Anyway.
Carpooling today. I'm the driver. Meaning I need to start getting ready to go, as I have a ton o' shit to do before then.
Happy Thursday.

6 comments:

  1. The first day is always full of such excitement! BACKPACKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first week or so is exciting. Then, it's drudgery until school gets out. I realize that not sending a child to school isn't always an option, but I sure wish we could do better for the children who are in schools.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3:15 PM

    Curious question here - my daughter, 18, was hired (along with other college kids) to be the before and after school kidcare workers at a local public school. I immediately thought of you, and recommended your blog to my whippersnapper. But in the meantime - the school nurse is refusing to help with any accidents that happen during kidkare. Is this normal?
    JFSinIL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, completely normal. Everyone litigates in this society. (Not just people getting shit on by work comp lawyers...) Our school and the day care program I provide are separate entities with our own sets of legal requirements. We are licensed by the state to provide day care, so there are a million nit-picky little rules.

      Delete
  3. Ours are already back to school, so the school next door is booming with activity and noise and traffic issues twice a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live across from a school myself. They start back on 9/8, so do I. I miss the morning and afternoon rush here because I'm dealing with my own morning/afternoon rush.

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?