We've had the threat of Marcus returning to our program over our heads, no one knew for sure.
Today we learned that he is attending one of our programs in a different district. His mom thinks that we are the problem, not her son's attitude. I know I mentioned in another post that his mom actually called our program a 'free for all'.
Not true, of course, but telling her something about her son that isn't what she wants to hear...
So he's now in a different program. And no longer our problem. I would like to be there when they start telling his mom about his behavior issues. I understand not wanting your child to be 'that' kid. I do. But I'd be worried about my child and take steps to figure out what's going on with him. It's a lot easier to get things figured out and head them in the right direction when they're younger.
Ah well.
I know I mentioned last week that our whole program felt different with him gone. I'm really pleased at the environment and the atmosphere now. Still studying rainforests and jungles. Tomorrow and the next day (and probably the day after) we're working on rain sticks. Always a fun thing to do, and this year it's being done with glue rather than flour and water paste. Smells better and doesn't get all moldy.
Toward that goal, I will need to pick up a couple things on my way to work this afternoon. I don't have to work until a little later than usual, the kids are doing a walking field trip today to the splash pad in a local park and I'll be on site to greet them when they come back.
I have a ton of things to do, a whole list sitting here next to me.
I didn't put 'take a shower' on the list, but that's #1.
So I'm off.
I'm glad I can look forward to work once again without the threat of having to deal with a child who I suspect has O.D.D.
I guess 'deal with' isn't the right term,though. I said in an email to my manager early on, "I have found approximately 100 ways to deal with Marcus that do not work. I'm sure there are at least a hundred more. Can't wait to try them all."
I'll be interested in finding out how he did for the rest of the summer in one of our other programs.
I just stumbled across your blog and wanted to say hi. I love watching nature shows, learning about the rainforest and seeing animals in the jungle so I'll bet your program is fun for the kids.
ReplyDeleteIt was nice to 'meet' you. I'm glad I found your blog today and I hope you enjoy the rest of your week... :)
Hi Dee. :)
DeleteWe try to keep things fun for them. It's hectic and sometimes more than a little crazy, but I've spent the past eleven years doing this and still love it. My favorite job ever.
Into your life a little Marcus rain must fall and now it is falling on someone else. Enjoy the sunshine, without guilt.
ReplyDeleteIt's a series of lovely days. We do have the usual crop of weasels, but they act like children, not maniacs. It works. And zero guilt, believe me. I tried everything I knew how to do.
DeleteHey you... it's amazing the impact that one person can have on a group... and how much better/ worse things can be when they leave.
ReplyDeleteI am pleased for you that this turned out well...
That always makes things better..
No?
~shoes~
I have dealt with difficult kids before. When they have moved on, I simultaneously rejoice and feel a little sad. Marcus is one of the only children I've failed to reach in eleven years, though. Just.. no one home behind those eyes.
DeleteGuess the summer will be a little lighter and brighter for everyone... at least in YOUR group!
ReplyDeleteI really am pleased. I feel bad for being so happy about it, but there it is. I'm nothing if not straightforward. Ask those nasty asshole work comp people. Gotta say what I think. :)
DeleteI am sad for that little boy - as long as his mom is in denial he won't get the help he obviously needs- both for his sake and society's (imagine what he will be as a grown-up). Too bad the mom doesn't know you well enough to understand that if YOU of all people are having trouble with a troubled child that there is something seriously amiss - with the child!
DeleteJFSinIL
I hate giving up on a child. But I did everything I knew how to do, and even though I wasn't able to do anything to help, my conscience is clear.
DeleteAnd yes, I have seen his face and attitude on some of the kids shown on Beyond Scared Straight. The EXACT same. I hope he doesn't end up that way.