Do you remember Liam*?
If not, put his name in the search field at the top there.
I wrote a lot about him over the years, really.
He was in my program for 1st thru 5th grade, although the last few months of 5th grade he wasn't, his parents wanted him to get used to being home alone for a bit each afternoon since he was going to be in middle school in the fall.
This was my first full year without him in my program. Haven't seen him in quite awhile.
This morning I was driving home and idly wondered how he was doing. No particular reason, it happens often. I think of one of 'my' kids and wonder how he or she is doing.
But considering what happened later today, it's sort of interesting at least.
This afternoon, Molly said, "Hey! Liam's at the back door!! Can I let him in?"
I was closer, so I opened the door myself.
She ran over and said, "I have really missed you! Can I give you a hug?"
He assented, and she gave him a hug. Then I hugged him, too.
He said that he had gotten out of his homework club early, and although he could have waited at his school, he just 'got the urge' to stop by.
So we caught up a little. He has grown a great deal in the past year. It's amazing to me that he will be in the 7th grade this fall.
We chatted about this and that while he waited for his dad to come pick him up.
He told me that he really misses being in my program after school.
I told him that it took awhile to get used to him not being there, but I was glad he was doing well in school and having a good time.
Then, he said, "My favorite memory of being in your program was way back on my first day of first grade. My mom couldn't stay to take me to my class so you told her you would do it. You took me to my first day of first grade!"
To have that be his favorite memory of his time in my program was one of those moments.
When there are days that I wonder if I am making a difference in the lives of my kids, I will remember that.
It made me happy to see him today. Great kid.
:0) Thanks for sharing. (((hugs)))
ReplyDeleteIt was great to see him. I'm still happy about it today. :)
DeleteHow positively touching! Way to go, Liam!
ReplyDeleteHe has grown up SO much.
DeleteAlways been a neat kid, now he's a young adult. Amazing how much change happened in a year.
Well, I think you know that you make a huge difference in these kids lives.....having Liam stop by, and tell you his fav memory just clinches it! It is nice to be thought of in such a positive way. :-)
ReplyDeleteIt means a lot to me.
DeleteI always feel so fortunate to be where I am, doing what I do.
A gift. :)