Followers

Monday, December 08, 2014

Break Time

On Saturday, I found a big-assed bag of gimp at the thrift store. Some of the kids at winter break will behave better when they have something to do with their hands, because it seems that their hands have been getting them into trouble.

The program we had at my old school on Friday was more of the same. We get a bunch of kids from different programs, and some of them come from programs where the rules are either non-existent or so flexible they may as well be.


It's exhausting and frustrating. My least favorite part of the job. Breaktime programs are a little.. nuts.

On Friday I stopped kids from hitting, throwing toys, hitting, throwing toys, using things inappropriately, breaking things, stepping on things, saying mean things to other kids, throwing toys.... did I mention they were throwing toys? And hitting other kids?

We work hard to monitor what's going on.
Sometimes we're sort of effective.

There are plans for themed days during the upcoming winter break, but the kids who are throwing toys and being a pain won't be terribly interested in themes or projects. Or changing behaviors. Because as soon as the program is over, they go back to their regular programs. And they know it. They know that whatever we suggest, try, change or do, they get to go back to a place that doesn't hold them to any particular standards.

It upsets the kids who are in programs with regular expectations. They want to have a place that feels safe and calm. It's not fair to them, either. I'd like to devote a block of time to a project, taking as long as we need without having the constant interruptions of having to mediate and redirect the same four or five kids all. the. time. Grrr. Hate it.

On the good side, break programs provide an opportunity for me to leave things set up. To do more involved projects with the kids. To sit down and actually play a game with them. By the end of a week long program, even the kids who don't understand rules are doing a little better. And I really can spend extra time.

During my regular program, I am busy. I'm often running the whole thing alone, which means dividing my attention. The kids like to have someone teaching them how to make stuff. They're full of ideas and fun and love to have someone paying attention to what they say and how they feel and what they want out of life in general.

I don't have time except at the end of the days to be able to do that, I'm pulled in 20 directions at once. There just aren't enough hours in an afternoon. Our school schedule used to allow us an extra hour on Wednesday afternoons. We used it for crafty things, usually.

So now I enjoy *parts* of the breaktime programs.
And don't enjoy some other parts.

Like the whole throwing toys thing.
Sunshine has put away a ton of things, she won't allow them out at breaktime programs anymore. I don't blame her.

And only two more weeks until our two week breaktime program. If my calculations are correct, I will have at least three hours in those two weeks to work on crafty things or play chess with the kids.

My mantra during those weeks?
I love my job I love my job I love my job.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not okay with it when something upsets my applecart, either. Good thing you have more patience than I do!

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?