I have had some difficulty finding something to wear for Matt and Amy's wedding, which is, as I begin writing this, exactly a week away.
I finally found something to wear at the outlet stores up the road. A turquoise-y colored skirt with inset lace panels and a white shirt with a lace inset. I will need to go grab a camisole, as it's not exactly a heavy shirt, but it's nice enough.
The girl in the clothing store asked me for my phone number. I asked, "Why?Are you going to call me?"
"Oh no, we just get your phone number and email address and stuff to tell you about special deals!"
I wasn't sure if she was stupid or she thought I was. Either way, um, no.
"Well, I'm not giving you my email address," I told her.
She looked surprised and I think a little insulted. Not that I care.
I managed to pay for the transaction without giving blood or email address.
Then, Lyssa and I wandered over to Famous Footwear. I'm not sure why it's famous. :)
As we were walking over the store, we got behind some people who were loitering along with cigarettes. I started to feel sick from the smell. We stopped a couple times to let them get ahead of us, but for some reason they took that as a signal to stop TOO. And blow out more clouds of foul odor. Yuck.
When I walked into the shoe store, the smell of rubber and leather hit me like a wall. Within three minutes, I had a full blown migraine. Goodie.
So we picked out some sandals.
Lyssa found hers quickly.
Not me, though.
Writing it down is a lot easier than the actual activity. I had to try on four or five pairs to find something that works. I wear big orthotics and men's shoes most of the time. It's not as unwieldy and clumpy as it sounds, though. I found some New Balance shoes that are mostly blue, added some tie dyed laces in pink and blue and they're quite comfortable. If you don't know that they're men's, you'd never guess.
But. Because of the amount of time I've spent wearing them, my feet are wider than they used to be. Problematic when shopping for womanly shoes.
So I found some. They're not the right color, I wanted white, but they will be comfortable for me and I'll be able to wear them all afternoon and evening without discomfort, which is far more important than having them be a certain color. Only someone who's had horrible foot pain would understand. If you haven't, I hope you never do.
So we got in line. Along with about 6 other people. ONE line. One register open.
And she was trying to get everyone ahead of us to sign up for their frequent shoe fucking card. "You can save FIVE percent!!" she chirped. "That's a great deal!!"
And son of a bitch.. they were doing it. I stood there trying not to barf on my shoes while a guy with a heavy accent tried to get her to spell his name properly and then waited another agonizing three minutes for her to get his email address right.
I figured in my head that I'd save about $2.50 if I were to sign up. It was worth a 20 to me to just get the fuck out of there, but she tried anyway.
"No, thank you." I told her.
"Are you sure? You can save FIVE PERCENT!!!!"
"No. Thank you. Let's just get done."
Annoying as hell.
I don't worry about giving out my personal information, I'm sure there are a few people out there who don't have access to it, but for the most part, we're all out there, ya know? My objection is to the process itself. There were at least six people waiting in line to complete their transactions. Harassing each one was taking TIME...and I was trying to maintain long enough to get outside and take more than the flat and shallow breaths I was taking to avoid sucking more of the horrible smells into my lungs. Heat is really, really bad for migraine pills, and I don't carry them in my car for that reason. I knew I was going to have to drive home after I got my damn shoes. And the perky little bubblehead behind the counter wanted INforMAtion!
I also don't like the assumption that we're going to just hand over our email addresses etc. If I want something, I will go and buy it. I don't generally buy anything that I don't need. If I have an impulse to buy, I'll handle it.
Don't get me started on the whole catalog thing, either. I hate that when I buy something from Amazon or another online retailer, they take it as a license to bury me in catalogs. Those catalogs go straight into the recycling. I wonder if they knew that, would they continue to pile them on?
So anyway, I have something to wear. I will find the jewelry that belonged to my grandmother and wear that with my sort of dressed up outfit.
I will look almost respectable when my son gets married.
One thing about being stuck at home and not going anywhere... no chemical sensitivities! I know exactly what you are talking about!
ReplyDeleteI sure hope you're feeling better. And yes, the chemical sensitivity SUCKS ASS. Anyone who hasn't gone through it doesn't have a clue.
DeleteFamous Footwear, the store I love to hate. I've bought over 50 pairs there over the years. I wear a 4E, and two New Balance lasts fit my feet. FF usually has them in stock. If I'm not in a bad mood when I enter, I am almost always in a bad mood when I leave. Not many alternatives for me.
ReplyDeleteIt's really hard to find shoes for me, too. The orthotics require a deep footbed. Women's shoes don't work anymore. I can buy women's shoes made for the orthotics at 150 to 200 a pop or I can buy men's wide shoes at Big 5 for 40 bucks. Not a difficult choice.
DeleteYeah, it's a royal pain in the ass. I hate being asked personal information when I buy something. Just take my damn money and let's go.
ReplyDeleteI am going to start lying about my zip code, saying 10019, which is what pops into my head after years of watching game shows as a kid.
DeleteI'm a terrible consumer. Awful. I go to Goodwill first for most things. I resent being marketed to. Leave me alone and let me get what I need when I need it!!
GET OFF MY LAWN!!
BUT FIVE PERCENT!!! ;)
ReplyDeleteI must admit, I hate shopping too. Unless it's for books... But it sounds like you found a nice outfit. So, yay, it's done.
I hate shopping. Even when I can afford to. I have everything I need and then some.
DeleteYeah, I will look respectable on Sunday. :)
I can't wait to see the pictures from the wedding. Yes feet/foot issues are a bitch. Glad you were able to find some shoes that will work.
ReplyDeleteI am happy about the shoes, too. It seems a terrible waste to buy something I'm not going to wear but a few times, but the alternative was wearing my athletic shoes with a skirt. While I don't care all that much, I am sure my mom would have been scandalized. :)
Deleteoooh amazon. son of a ... never figured out that's where they came from it's like.. who thinks we could ever want to buy XYZ? and how we get on those lists.. makes sense now. my hubby buys from amazon all the time..
ReplyDeleteanyway... I feel your pain about shoes. I wear boys shoes. nothing girly in them, and at a 4.5 size? no LACES. I don't WANT to wear velcro, but have no choice. blah! I had ingrown toenails forever due to too tight shoes and an inability of the damn things to stop growing down into the sides of my toes.. wth? so I finally had them cut out, cauterized, whatever on 3 of 4 sides of my big toes and that takes care of most of the problem.. but I still can't wear women's shoes. feet are too short, too wide, too tall. Gah!