Followers

Thursday, April 03, 2014

They grow so fast...

This morning Jennifer announced to everyone, "I grew four inches this week!!"

Annie* looked at her carefully.
Disagreed.
"No you didn't," she said. "You're still seven."

Jennifer looked affronted. "I'm almost eight!"

Annie said, "No, feet. You're still only seven feet tall."

:)

Lyssa was my assistant this afternoon, and will be with me tomorrow, too. My regular assistant is subbing at another school. Due some changes in scheduling and attendance, I will have way too many kids to legally handle on my own, something we didn't know at the beginning of the week.

I have had a lot of different assistants at my school. I've never had one that wasn't good. I've had a couple that were excellent. My regular assistant right now is one of the excellent ones. Really good with the kids and fun to work with.

But I have never had anyone as good at the job as Lyssa is.
She is just so wonderful with the kids. Tuned in to what they say and how they're doing. She can tell from across the room when it's time to intervene or just wander over to see what's going on with them to divert them because they're heading in the wrong direction with their conversation.

She has a sense of humor (essential), a genuine interest in what the kids have to say and how they're doing, and a wish to make their time with us special. She manages to make every kid feel important.

I wish Alyssa was my assistant every day.

Alden* had a much better day today. He was anticipating some one on one time with his grandma this afternoon, and very excited about her coming to pick him up. He was watching the clock and counting the minutes. It was adorable. And it gave him something to do besides go around and annoy his sister and the other kids. ;)

And with that ('you're still only seven'... hahahaaa) I am heading for bed. Early again. Yay me.

3 comments:

  1. Lyssa has had a very good role model and example setter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:00 AM

    Ah, a good assistant is a wonderful thing, isn't it! Lyssa sounds like a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading about"your kids", is like watching a re-run of an old favorite of mine, Kids Say the Darnedest Things with Art Linkletter. :0)
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?