Followers

Thursday, November 07, 2013

waaah!!

Interesting afternoon at work.

Molly* decided to cry over a thing I view as a small issue, but of course to her, it's the entire universe.

We were in the gym, and the kids were playing 'helicopter' which is where one will stand in the center of one of the painted circles on the floor and spin in a circle while holding the end of a jump rope near the floor. It goes around in the circle while kids jump over it each time it goes past. She kept jumping at the wrong time. The rope would either hit her on the ankles or she jumped squarely on it. Both outcomes gave the same result... a mad blush and tears. Hands over her face and a blind shuffle to the nearest bleacher to sit down and cry.

The other kids were not sure how to deal with it. At first they were concerned and ran to her. "What's wrong, Molly??"

I said, "Leave her alone. Go play."

So they reluctantly went back to their game, looking back at her sitting alone on the bench, crying.

I gave her a minute to see if she'd get some composure on her own, then went and sat down with her.

"Why all the tears, Hon?"

"They're just b-b-better than me!!! I feel stupid!! WaaaahhhhhH!!!!!!"

I didn't disagree with her.

"Of course they're better at this than you are. They've all been doing it for awhile. But when they started, they weren't good at it, either. They're all at least one year older than you are, some of them are even two or three years older. No one expects you to be perfect, you know."

I pointed out to her that Annie* and Jennifer* and Ariana* were getting put out as we watched. And when they got put out, they cheerfully took a turn at spinning the rope. No one was upset, as that's part of the game.

"So you get put out, then you get to go back in. It's just how the game works. EVERYONE messes up, Sweetheart... you're not the only one. It's fine to miss. You can just try again the next time!"

She peeked through her fingers at me and at the kids still playing. Decided after a minute or two to take a chance and try again.

Only to get the same results.

And the tears came right back.

This time, she just came to me for a hug and cried for a minute or so, then went back to it.

She did the crying and embarrassed run away from the game thing four or five times. Finally, she ended up staying in the game and trying again and again. I was proud of her, as it really shows some growth. She is one of those kids (they all are, really) who thinks the whole world is looking at her and finding her lacking in whatever it is.

She's such a cute little thing.
And I have to admit that the drama that accompanies her like a little cloud is part of her charm.

She's already shown a lot of growth since I first met her during summer program, and I know she will do fine. She just needs to grow into the environment a little. She's really a lot like Jennifer* was at this time last year. And Jennifer has grown into quite the mature little person. I think she's cried once this school year, when five or six meltdowns PER AFTERNOON was her average during the beginning of the school year last year.

And she's helpful to the other kids, is able to compromise and discuss rather than melting down like she did last year, and seems to really be enjoying her time with me.

I'm expecting the same results with Molly, really. They're a lot alike. Both of them have great parents, are brighter than average, and have HUGELY magnified feelings.

I love my job.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe there IS hope for me! (only I'm not a cute little thing and I'm an orphan)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:52 PM

    It's right to leave alone when some one is crying. If we go on asking y are you crying they may get irritated and may cry more. If we leave some for sometime they will settle down soon and be back to the form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. she sounds sweet, and little histrionic, but hey she is a kid good time to be that way I would love to howl and cry at work some days but...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still think the World is watching when I screw up and I'm almost as old as God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing and Thanks For Caring. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?