To feel a little melancholy after going to dinner at Matt and Amy's. After all, it was the first time we've seen where he's living. He moved out four months ago. It's not that we haven't seen them, they've been here a few times, and we keep in touch and all that... but we hadn't been to their home.
It was dinner and conversation. Matt cooked dinner. Amy isn't interested in cooking and doesn't know how to cook much. So he cooks and she cleans the kitchen. What cook doesn't love a kitchen cleaner? :)
(I had no idea how to cook when we got married... so I am not casting aspersions. And they're happy with the arrangement, so who cares, right?)
A pleasant evening. They complement each other beautifully.
Their apartment is small and cute. Very clean and uncluttered. And they are so happy together. It's very obvious that they were meant to be a couple.
So I left there feeling happy and my feelings haven't changed today. I'm really pleased that they found each other.
I have started keeping my clothes in the 'spare' bedroom. We don't have a traditional closet in our room because we don't have a traditional bedroom. Our bedroom used to be the living room of this house until the previous owner turned the two car garage into a family room. No closet space.
So Eric's stuff is in our room, mine is in the other room.
Also in the extra bedroom? A ton of stuff that I either need to take to work, give away, throw away or, well, something.
It's really hard for me to get rid of things. I understand why, too. Being deprived as a kid has turned me into a hoarder. The only reason my house isn't stacked wall to wall with stuff is that there are other people living here who need to be able to walk in the house.
You watch. I'll die all alone at 90 or so, and my house will be on television. Everyone who didn't really know me will be saying, "Wow, I never had any idea!!"
And everyone who does know me will be saying, "My god. How did she ever live to be 90 years old?"
Off to finish a tangly thing I am working on to send to a friend. And sleep. And get up at 5.
Why is it that the weeks go so slowly and the weekends just zip by?
Anyone?
When you figure out that week/weekend time thing, let me know! Good to catch up with you.
ReplyDeleteI will never understand the weekend/week time thing. Ever. But I heard we get an extra hour of sleep THIS weekend. Something I will appreciate the hell out of.. .until they steal it from us again in six months.
DeleteGlad you had a good dinner!
ReplyDeleteI'm starting a new, temporary job next month. I will be getting up at 5am. Don't know HOW I'm going to manage that as now, 7 seems ungodly.
I can do 7 and manage to go all day long. 5 for some reason just kicks my ass. I already go to bed around 9. Can't imagine trying to get there earlier, although I suspect that might help. I didn't know you were starting a new job. Do tell.
DeleteAwww. Oh my gosh, I remember when he was... Well, not an adult. :D
ReplyDeleteI didn't know how to cook much when I first got married - just Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, pasta, rice, corn, and toast. And I didn't have any real interest in cooking at first.
But then I grew to love cooking. Only, AFTER my MIL stopped putting pressure on me to do everything her way. Blargh.
My hubby likes to cook, so I appreciate that we switch off in that regard. It's nice. :)
Eric is a really, really good cook. I can cook, too, and love doing it when I have time. Matt and Lyssa have both learned to cook very well, explore new recipes, and toss some of this and some of that in and make it their own.
DeleteI was determined to make sure they could both cook and do their own laundry. :)
Aren't mother in laws wonderful? ;)
Knowing your child is with someone that suits them and that they are happy, is a very comforting feeling. So much better than when you know they aren't.
ReplyDeleteIt really makes my heart happy to know that he is with such a lovely person, that they are good to and good for each other, and that they're content to be together forever.
DeleteThat feeling you talked about? How they were meant to be together? That is wonderful. To know your child is with their equal, someone he can take care of as well as KNOW he is being taken care of. Pretty special and I think not very common.
ReplyDeleteI didn't cook much when I got married either.
I think my hubby would be a horder too due to the same reasons you state. Not me tho, if I dont need it right now - except for some items that have sentamental value, go.
I have to start getting rid of some stuff. It's so very hard for me to do, but every time I get started on it, each thing that I toss out helps me feel better. I know this, yet am resistant to starting. Arghggggh.
DeleteFor Oldest's (13) birthday we are cleaning out the office/BB's temporary bedroom and giving it to him. (I asked BB, and since he doesn't stay over hardly at all anymore, he said it was fine) Needless to say, it was where Tony kept his sports hoard. We have spent the last three days cleaning, painting (ceilings, walls, furniture) scrubbing the rug (6 year old chocolate anyone?) and patching holes. I'm aiming to finish by Wednesday... because if it goes much longer the process may kill me. I am not kidding either. I am so tired, I'm living on caffeine over here. As I type this, there are still boxes of Tony's stuff lined up in the kitchen waiting to go downstairs.
ReplyDeleteSo I get the too much stuff, no space thing (in my own way) and the closet thing? We have one... in the whole house. And since Tony has more clothes than any woman I know...
*sigh*
Maybe I should just go to bed now. :)
You embarrass me. Matt moved out in June, and his bedroom still hasn't been repainted. Hell, we haven't even pulled the nails out of the walls or done, well, anything other than dust and clean in there a bit. Oh, and add boxes of my work crap to it.
Delete