Followers

Thursday, October 03, 2013

I am changing my name.

I received a sign today... a sign that I need to change my name.

Her name is Amelia Pendragon.*

(Of course that's not really it... but the amount of syllables is correct... she complained this week that she has 'the longest name in the world' and will never learn to write it, 'ecspecially in cursive'.)

Amelia is six years old. I had her in my program last year when she was five. She's a little thing with huge eyes and a great laugh. She's adorable. She likes little stuffed animals, cutting paper with scissors, skipping across the cafeteria and hugging her mom goodbye when she's dropped off in the mornings.

Today, she came to me with her hands behind her back.
"What do you have there, Amelia?"

She danced a bit, held it out to me.
"I made you a card!"

"Oh thank you!!" She continued to hold it, hopping a little from foot to foot. So cute. I said, "Can I see it?"

So she handed it to me.

And explained.

"This side says, I love you Susan." she told me.





She flipped it over.
"And this is the yellow brick road.



So you can just call me Zoolin from now on.
I'm guessing she reversed the S in my name, hence the Z-looking thing... but where the L came from, I do not know.
And the yellow brick road isn't yellow. Or brick. But it's compelling, don't you think? It took her a good 20 minutes to make it for me. I always accept the little drawings and cards they make and thank them sincerely. I tell them that I am going to take them home to show my family, and I always do. Had I saved all of the drawings and cards I've been made over the years I could probably build a house with 'em.

It's been a long day. Time to head out.

Zoolin, signing off.

8 comments:

  1. Zoolin? Excellent name, I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be such a pain to switch over, though... think of all the paperwork!!

      Delete
  2. Zoolin? Somehow . . .just so appropriate. Run a zoo, right? Plus has the right nuance blend of responsibility and carefree spirit that is just so you. Smiling at you right now, Zoolin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made me smile all day long. I still have the note, haven't been quite able to recycle it yet... so cute.

      Delete
  3. What's she going to do to your surname?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh geez, there are lots of things to do with that... but most of the kids don't read well enough to decipher it on my badge that hangs from the lanyard. :)

      Delete
  4. :0) Only too well I remember the Art Linkletter Show , Kids Say The Darndest Things." Looks like the do them too. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd taken photos of more stuff for sure. :)

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?