I was wandering around my blog this evening looking at old posts and trying to think about what I'd like to write about tonight.
Many of my older posts (remember, I've been at this since 2005) have comments on them from people who no longer blog.
Some of them weren't the most brilliant writers, but had a ton of heart and... sweetness. They were real people and all of them had something important to say.
Some were funny and witty and engaging. And they just stopped writing for no apparent reason. No goodbye letters.
I clicked on some of the comment links to go back to a few blogs and was surprised several times with 'permission denied, it doesn't appear as if you've been invited to read this blog'.
Huh.
I guess I wasn't that important to them.
I started blogging because I thought it might be sort of fun.
About a year ago, I realized that my blog is a chronicle of a lot of things in my life, and I'm glad I have a record of those things.
I'm sorry the internet wasn't around when my kids were smaller... this blog is the only time I've ever been successful in keeping a journal of any sort for more than a week or two.
I took a typing class when I attended high school in Montrose, Colorado. I joined the class about two weeks into the semester as I recall, and never managed to catch up. My typing teacher wrote me off fairly early, I think. Not that I blame him. He kept nagging me not to look at the keyboard. I couldn't do it. I had to see my hands on the keys.
The over-four-year-old laptop I'm using wasn't a big expensive one when I got it, and there are eleven keys that don't have a letter on them at all. Worn off.
I can type now without having to look at my hands and although I do still make a few errors, most of the time I just write. There's a smooth connection between my brain and my fingers and stuff just flows.
I wish I could remember the name of that typing teacher and maybe look him up on Facebook and let him know that even though HE didn't teach me to type, I eventually learned.
Have you 'lost' blogs? Favorite bloggers who just.. stopped?
I kept a few people in my reader for a while, a lot of them were mommy bloggers who went back to work, or quit blogging as their kids reached school age, nothing to talk about maybe? Just too busy.
ReplyDeleteMaybe they felt disheartened like no one was reading? I feel that way a LOT. I have a few comments from the older generations that have been there done that, but cant' seem to engage any younger people with kids the same age, etc. no matter how many giveaways I run, etc. I still feel like I'm trying to build a community from scratch every single day... while other people just throw meaningless garbage and seem to have people begging to give them money, send them on trips, and yada yada... It's not that I want any of that, it's that I want the fact that I've been blogging for like 8 years and they have for 8 minutes.. umm what? sheesh..
It's strange, isn't it? Some of 'those' blogs just leave me shaking my head and wondering WTF??
DeleteI always read when you post (well, not about the diapers) but I don't always have something to contribute.
I don't blog regularly enough to gain the number of followers you do--I'm up to 19 I think, after several years. However, I do have you beat on keyboards. I am on #5 in the last two years because I wear away the keys. And while I don't have to look (I have been known to complete assignments while sleeping at the keyboard), I want to be able to see the letters on the keys. When they fade away, I start looking for a new keyboard.
ReplyDeleteWell,if I wrote as much as you do, I wouldn't blog much either. :)
DeleteSince my keyboard is part of my computer, I am not sure how I'd replace it. :)
You and I must have been on a similar wavelength last night, although I didn't go to my old blog posts. My manage blogs hasn't worked since early 2011 and when I finally found a way to pull all the blogs up at one time, it was shocking to see how many said, no longer exists, or permission denied. I've hung on to so many of them since the beginning, but finally decided to just let them go, even if it pains me greatly.
ReplyDeleteNothing else to do but let them go, I guess. Many don't even have an email address so you can say WHAT????
DeleteAt the time I graduated from high school, I was the only student to have won any typing award in a annual county contest! I def. type better than write!
ReplyDeleteI love looking thru my old posts!
There are several blogs I read regularly that I'm no longer "allowed" to view. It's sad but...that's their choice.
I enjoy reading my old stuff, particularly work things. I love my job. :)
DeleteYeah, it happens all the time. The novelty wears off for some or they get busy I guess. I come and go, change urls, etc but am always out there somewhere. LOL
ReplyDeleteYeah... where are you NOW?
DeleteI still read your posts everyday that you do post. I guess I feel like my life is plenty boring, and not of much interest to others. I don't even think my kids read mine!
ReplyDeleteMy mom doesn't read mine. She thinks my brother Dick is 'a good writer' and is offended by my sidebar stuff about marriage equality.
DeleteWhatever. :)
I have several blogger buddies who seem to have faded, some are at least on facebook, but some have gone completely never to reply. and one in particular it broke my heart a little to read of , shared her life, loves and struggles with cancer, and finally a family member posted simply on her blog that she had passed away, funny how we connect on the internet. I too was a disappointment to my typing teacher, yet I overcame later in life and most recently at work was pinch hitting for the admin support and typing the psychiatrist's notes! so there, I did so learn it !
ReplyDeleteI have fallen behind though with posting and commenting, just busy and tired these days
I understand the busy-ness and trying to keep up. Sometimes something just has to give.
DeleteI love reading your blog and love seeing all your critters. Your blog always makes me smile.
And I still love Winston the most. :)
You are the most prolific of the blogs I follow. Then there are those like me who are a bit haphazard and a few of the ones I followed from the beginning have simply stopped. I hope they are ok and only stopped because it had served it's purpose.
ReplyDeleteBlogging, or more correctly keeping a diary/journal has been huge fun and very therapeutic. I'm not one to look back and wish this or that had happened but would I be a different person if I'd blogged back in my twenties. We had electricity but not laptops :-(
Be lucky Aims, onwards and upwards :-))))))))
I do like your blog, Spanner. You encourage me to keep thinking about life in general and not to settle for things that are making me unhappy.
DeleteI really miss Med. Hope he's okay, that the new baby is doing well and that he's feeling well.
I really miss a few. I found though that if I leave them in my list on the side bar if they pop back up I will know.
ReplyDeleteOne woman though (My own brand of crazy) just disappeared for good... right before Christmas. I do really miss her, as we also "talked" via email as well.
And where the heck did Portia go??? Too busy being a grandma I guess. :)
DeleteIsn't it strange how some just... are gone? *poof*
DeleteAs for Portia, I can't tell you all her secrets here, but she and her hubby took an Alaskan cruise in May and they were able to visit Portland.
I've known her online for 15 years or so, and we were finally able to meet in person.
Unfortunately, not too long after they returned home a lot of upheaval happened in their lives and Portia's mom passed away suddenly.
But the babies are doing great, about to turn one and three and there's a new one on the way. Things are looking up. I'll tell her you asked.
:)
She just emailed me. :) I had forgotten that she visited you (I had figured it out from your post and my super ninja sleuthing) So sad about her Mom, and great news on the babies! Thanks!
Delete