Followers

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Of Course

One of the things that has to happen every year for me to keep my certification is continuing education.

This year, I chose a 10 hour course on ADHD.

I was able to take this class online, which shielded me from what I call The Brashley Effect, named in honor of a former co-worker who just could not shut up. Ever.

When we had face to face trainings, she knew something about every topic that came up, was quite vocal about it, and saw no reason to keep any of that knowledge to herself.

Of course in retrospect, I understand Brashley a little better. I actually feel sorry for her, but that's the effect of no more exposure to her in person. Apparently, I'm able to be a little more compassionate when someone's not driving me bugshit.

Okay, back to the course.
I expected a lot of politically correct concepts and smarmy feel-good stuff, and was pleasantly surprised.

One of the premises of the course, and a nod to our long ago forbears is that children are hard wired as either a 'Farmer' or a 'Hunter'. The farmers are the peaceful ones, able to focus on tasks, see them through from beginning to end in a logical, linear way.

The hunters are the ones who run. Think on the fly. Switch directions for apparent random reasons that only later become clear to the observer.

But the person who wrote the course doesn't like the 'negative' connotation of calling someone a hunter... why, that makes him a KILLER!!! So she changed the name to 'Explorer'.

Our society is set up for the farmers.. but the explorers are the ones who make things happen... think Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein.

The course encouraged me to view the explorers as children with special gifts and suggested ways to let them know their contributions to life in general are valued.

It wasn't about making sure all kids feel that way, that is assumed. This was about 'problem' children.
I've had more than one child who was different in some way, most often with symptoms of being a child.

Of course there are children who live life at full speed and have no filter or impulse control.

Remember Reese? I still think that's one of the best things I've ever written. Mostly because it's true and because doesn't everyone know a Reese?

Either you were in school with one or two, or you've dealt with a Reese in your life. It has to be tough to be Reese. I thought of him a lot during the course. And miss him still, even though it's been a year and a half since I have seen him.

One of those kids that got stuck in my heart. As they all do.

Anyway, the course wasn't a waste of time, and I feel better equipped to deal with some of current incoming crop of kids. But it was long, it's now past my bedtime, and I'm so sleepy I can't think about how the words should go anymore.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good course. I like the idea of "explorer" rather than "hunter".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:16 PM

    You have attention sleep disorder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:12 PM

    The more I learn about these kinds of disorders, the more the behavior of some of my classmates as I was growing up. I feel pity for them now whereas before I just didn't understand them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get some sleep so you can implement some of that newly acquired knowledge. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should take a course like this. I'd like to know more about the nitty gritty of ADHD, although I've dealt with it plenty. :)

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?