Followers

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Facebooking and Fires and Feet

Oh my.

First, my cousin is engaged to her partner of several years, not sure how long they've been together. I'm hoping they'll have the wedding in the state of Washington (where it's legal to marry the consenting adult of your choice) because that way I'd be able to go to their wedding and hug them and cry on them and stuff.
I'm such a sap.

Also on Facebook this afternoon, this fascinating link. A personality quiz sort of thing, which, if you know yourself, should not surprise you with the results. God what a horribly constructed sentence. Anyway, you get the point. Go check it out and see if you learn anything. You don't have to create an account or give out a ton of personal information.

I got home from work a little after one, and was talking to my son on the phone. Lyssa was in the kitchen. I thought. But I started smelling smoke. It smelled a lot like burned toast, and I wondered what she was over cooking. So I got up and went to the kitchen to check. The air was pretty thick with smoke, but I realized that so was the rest of the house. I glanced out the window and the entire street was a haze as well.

Turns out Government Island, which is in the Columbia River, not too far from my house, was on fire. The news said tonight that it was out, but they were monitoring it.

I think they should have let it burn all the vegetation off. It's a party and picnic destination for people who have boats. And there are no improvements... picnic tables, bathrooms... and as a result, people have been shitting in the woods for approximately a hundred years, give or take.

My feet are feeling a lot better. Still haven't started breaking in the new orthotics. Can't seem to find the right time to start it. If I put them on first thing in the morning for 10 minutes or so, my feet will get tired and uncomfortable just before I head out to work. When I get home, my feet ARE tired and uncomfortable, and the last thing I want is to make them worse.

I'll get there. It took me about two months to get the original ones working my way.

So now I'm going to go visit the local shower, start the dishwasher, toss in a load of laundry and set my alarm so I can get up in the morning and make some important phone calls.

I should have added 'fun' to the title, then I'd have your basic four 'F's.

12 comments:

  1. Fantastic news for your cousin and partner! Hope you'll be able to attend.

    Good luck breaking in the orthotics. They can be tricky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really happy for them. I fully support their right to be married and be together, always have. Now if I can just get the rest of the world to understand that you don't have to fear love...

      The last pair took forever, and I made it a very gradual process. While we were arguing with the insurance company this time, my doctor modified the ones I had a bit, and I'm actually doing fairly well this week.

      Definitely want to get into the new ones, though.

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised you aren't getting a migraine from all that smoke!

    Congrats on your cousin's upcoming wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smoke went away fairly quick.

      And I'm happy for them. They don't need any wedding gifts, they have a ton of money. But hugs and happiness from family? They won't have as much of that as they should, since some of our family won't ever approve of their "Choice."

      Gah.

      Delete
  3. I loved the quiz! It had very few questions that don't apply, and I think it was pretty accurate - it caught the nuances in seemingly contradictory answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My profile was very much who I am. I felt like printing it out and saving it to hand to people when I first meet them. :)

      Delete
  4. Well, I'd invite you to MY wedding, but since you have confirmed you will cry and such...sorry. Actually, I have practiced my "vows" and can't get through them without crying myself. I don't see how I can DO it! Well, smoke---UGH and cough. Glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you set a date?
      My son and his fiance have decided on a date about a year from now. I'm excited. And yes, I will cry. Like a baby.

      Delete
  5. congrats to your cousin, and partner, I cry at weddings too, hope the smoke doesn't make you sick, and your feet are feeling better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to a wedding in a long time, I think the last one was in 1990 when my baby brother got married.

      Delete
  6. very interesting quiz! seemed pretty accurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I didn't learn anything new about me, but had a lot of things confirmed. I found it fascinating myself.

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?