I talked to a friend this week who recently lost her mom. She said that it was really strange that she can't feel her mom's presence, when after the loss of other people she loves, that feeling has been there.
I thought about it a bit, and realized that some of the people I've lost seem to stay with me in spirit, and some do not.
It led me to thinking about my grandfather, Don. When I was looking for something else on my blog this afternoon, I came across this post and felt a need to repost it. It's old... like six years or so, and I know that many of the people who read here have never seen it.
Mostly he's just really on my mind today. I have felt his presence, actually. Which may sound strange, but is true.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Several
years ago, I started interviewing my grandfather Don about his life.
His wife and life partner of 55 years, my grandmother Del had just
passed away, and I'd read my great-grandfather's book all the way
through for the first time.
Grandad
Johnson (Don's father) wrote his life story in longhand and had a book
binder from Cedaredge, Colorado put it together for members of the
family. I realized what a gift it was after Del died and I wanted to
know more about where I came from. My family. My ancestors, you know?
I figured I'd call him every week and ask him a few questions about his life and write down the answers.
I
called him a few times with that specific purpose in mind, but the
conversation always drifted, and we ended up just chatting for awhile.
Don loved lawyer jokes because he hated lawyers, and every time I heard a
new one, I couldn't wait to call him.
He
always laughed at my jokes, but he found other things funny, too. After
Seattle had a major earthquake that we felt here in Portland( in, hmm,
2000?) I called him just to chat. He asked me if I had felt the quake. I
had not, I was helping Lyssa wash her hair in the shower, and didn't
notice the shaking.
I told him about the news item I'd heard
earlier that morning. Some woman had been sitting on her sofa, lamenting
all her woes, and she flung up her hands and said, "OH GOD, CAN THINGS
GET ANY WORSE?!?" As she finished, a large chunk of frozen shit fell
from a passing airliner and crashed through her roof into the living
room and smashed her coffee table to matchwood.
When I told him
that, he laughed until he cried. Every time he'd start to slow down with
it, I'd think about how hard he was laughing and start laughing myself.
And when I started to laugh, he started up again, too. We laughed
together for quite some time.
A little after that, he had to move
to assisted living. For a few months, he was in the same nursing home
my grandmother lived in for so many years. Around September, my aunt
finally talked him into moving closer to her. He moved to California to
another assisted living center just up the street from her house.
He
so enjoyed his trip to California in the front passenger seat of the
car. He hadn't been out of Montrose for many years, and loved seeing all
the sights between his old home and his new one. We talked about the
high points of the trip several times after he moved.
Christmas
of that year, the Elks lodge in Montrose, Colorado did their annual
holiday visitation of members who were in nursing homes.
When
they showed up at the San Juan Care Center, the lady behind the desk
said, "I'm so sorry, Mr. Johnson is no longer with us."
A week or
so later, the sympathy cards started arriving at my aunt's and at my
mom's house. Evidently the Elks interpreted his westward move as one
that went a different direction.
When Don found out, he once
again laughed until he cried. He really enjoyed reading all the sympathy
cards, and chatted by phone with many old friends who had sent them.
I
thought it was hysterically funny, but it sort of bothered my mom. She
has a sense of humor, but it's not really much like mine.
That's why I never shared this last one with her.
When
Del passed away, she was cremated. Her ashes were stored in the funeral
home in Colorado until a decision was made as to their eventual resting
place.
Don passed away peacefully in his sleep on March 10th,
2001. The attendant checked on him at eleven PM and found him sleeping.
When they checked on him again at midnight, he had left the earth.
He
had said long before that he wished to be cremated, too. So he was,
according to his wishes. The decision was made between my mom and my
aunt to scatter the ashes of both grandparents at the location of their
first date.
My aunt and her hubby packed up Don's ashes and drove
to Colorado, where they met up with my mom and dad. Then, they drove up
to Black Canyon
Black Canyon is now a national monument, ( It was just a nice place for a picnic when my grandparents had their first date... with a chaperone!! They were both in their 20's!) and
they probably have rules about things like scattering ashes. My family
took care of that by just going and doing it and not asking permission.
I
could not afford the trip to Colorado, but really, they are still in my
heart, (always so) and I wasn't sad.
In fact, during the hour I knew
they were scattering the ashes, I thought of something and laughed 'til I
cried.
I know Don would have appreciated the humor, too.
He took his last trip to California in the front seat of my aunt's car.
And rode back to Colorado in the trunk.
Thanks for the post - makes me remember my Grandma and our times together. W.C.C.
ReplyDeleteMy grandfather was a wonderful man.
DeleteMy daughter's middle name is Dawn, a tribute to him.
I'm glad it made you think of your grandma. And glad I had all my grandparents for so much of my life. :)
Awe that was so sweet Ami, kinda made me all teary too. That was the best reminder to just pick up the damn phone and say hi, the rest will follow. Those little things can mean the most.
ReplyDeleteI am soooo happy that I made those phone calls to him.
DeleteIt really hurt when I would forget he was gone and pick up the phone to call him and then remember... but now what's left is just happy memories.
Thanks for sharing. Loved it!
ReplyDelete(((hugs)))
I'm glad I made you smile. :)
DeleteThe trunk? I guess he wouldn't mind that, might have even found it funny.
ReplyDeleteHe would have found it hysterically funny. He had a terrific sense of humor. I miss him a lot today... he's been around, I swear.
DeleteI thought the sympathy cards when he was still alive funny too. It is amazing how people view humor though. Funny to one person. Not to another. This is a lovely tribute to your grandfather. Am so glad that you gave me your blog address. When I clicked on your name, it didn't come up. BTW, are you on FB, too? If so, I'd like to LIKE your page and then I'll be notified when you write something new. If not, no problem. BTW, are you living in Portland now? Will you be attending the Willamette Writers Conference this weekend at the Sheraton. I'm trying to get a publisher for my book. I have a small press that said it had significant potential but needed a developmental edit. I'm cautiously optimistic.
ReplyDeleteI've been missing my dad a lot lately and this made me smile and cry a little, but mostly smile-- It's a wonderful post and I'm glad you shared it with us. I hadn't seen it before. Your grandfather wounds like an awesome guy.
ReplyDeletexo jj