So many things I can't tell you that it's hard to figure out what I can say. :)
The summer kids are a mixed bag, as always.
During an exciting game of foosball this afternoon, one of the veteran kids yelled out a heartfelt "SHIT!!"
Yeah, that went over well. My coworker was closer, so she handled it. Not the way I would have handled it, but I won't undermine another staff member. Not cool.
We spend a great deal of time the first couple weeks *adjusting* the kids. Teaching them simple respect for each other, our 'stuff' and for us. One rule that never changes between shifts is that if it's a rule on your school playground, it still applies.
So that means we don't run down the slide. We don't stand in the swings. We don't pick up rocks or sticks off the ground, and if caught doing so, we just drop them instead of throwing them. You'd think that goes without saying, but we have to remind several of the kids that it's usually not a good idea to throw rocks on a playground.
Personally, I think a child should be able to stand on the swings or swing while lying on their stomachs. Or run up the slide or go down it backwards. Jump off the play structures onto the bark chips. Pick up interesting rocks or sticks and examine them. Maybe even build a little structure with them.
But that's against the rules during school. And it doesn't do a child any favors to have them learning two sets of rules. It's easier for everyone to just have one set. That way there is no question.
I have a couple kids this summer who will be in my program this fall. I have met them before, and worked with them a couple times. Very cute kids. Artistic and polite. But they have a terrible time keeping their hands off each other. They are constantly pushing each other, or smacking each other or getting angry with each other.
When I call them on it (there is no need to have your hands on another person) I get, "But he's my brother/she's my sister!"
"I know that. You still need to keep your hands off each other while you are here."
You see, at their regular site, there is a slightly different set of rules for them. They get a little slack because they're siblings.
But two siblings crashing into each other and making someone else fall down (which happened today) is still a bad idea.
In the first three days, I have had to fill out two accident reports.
If there is a mark left on a child, I fill one out. Period. So on Tuesday Eric* fell and skinned his knee. We got it all cleaned up and bandaged and he was just fine, but I did the report and notified my bossy boss.
Wednesday, Tyler* sat down next to a milk crate on the floor (it was being used as a table in some game or another) and for whatever reason, he decided to lie back with his book without checking behind him and whacked his head on the corner of the crate. Small scalp wound that actually didn't bleed much. He spent 15 minutes with an ice pack on his head and I gave his mom the report to sign when she came in.
Neither parent was concerned or upset. I'm the one upset... I hate filling out accident reports. I don't like kids getting hurt.
Things are still a bit disorganized, and part of the problem I CAN help solve... but there are quite a few things I can't take care of. Not authorized. And it's frustrating, and there isn't anyone I can go to with possible solutions.
But you know, as always, I am there for the kids. And we have a bunch of them. All of them are fun, unique and I'm glad I have the opportunity to get to know them.
Per usual...enjoyed being brought up to date on what is going on in your life. :0)
ReplyDelete(((hugs)))
I'm glad I still have an audience. But the kid stories just beg to be told. :)
DeleteSounds like your summer is off to a great, but typical start. Who doesn't want to yell "SHIT" out loud sometimes? ;)
ReplyDeleteOhhhhh,I want to!!! I wonder what would happen if I did??
DeleteMy usual is 'Sugar!'
The kids think that's hilarious.
Chuckling at the word slip. I have a hard time with that one, too.
ReplyDeleteYou mentioning two sets of rules makes me think of my granddaughter. She divides time between her Mom and Dad. (and her Dad's parents, who have very few rules) I've often wondered how in the world she keeps things straight and isn't a totally screwed up kid. I'm proud to say she is pretty darn well adjusted, considering.
It sometimes seems the kids handle things like that better than the parents. I see a lot of different families and custody arrangements in my job. Even though I often know what's going on behind the scenes, I really try to just.. function normally for the kids. Present the same face to them every day. I can't fix their problems, but I can be steady.
Delete