Followers

Saturday, June 22, 2013

26. And rocks in his head.

Today is Matt's birthday.
I've been a mom for half my life.
It's so weird, thinking about how time works.

For example when I was 40, I realized I'd been married a little over half my life.

More now, of course.

And now I'm 52 and my firstborn is 26.

I remember back in June of 1987 I was thinking I'd be pregnant for the rest of my life.
He was two weeks late.
And yes, he's been running late ever since. :-D

Anyway, my son is 26 today. Which is really hard for me to believe.
He's a nice guy, about to propose to his girlfriend (that's supposed to happen on Tuesday, and she doesn't read my blog so it's all good...) and the soundtrack of our lives lately in the evening is punctuated by the sounds of the tape gun as he packs his things to move out a week from today.

A person of compassion and integrity and humor. He is a great big brother, a wonderful son and person, and I'm proud of him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today, before I got to work, one of the kids threw a softball up into a tree. Had I been there, he would not have thrown it up there at all, since we have a rule about being out in the field to throw that ball, and they all know I'm serious about rules.

He repeatedly threw it up in the tree, causing small branches and leaves to fall on some of the other kids. It finally got stuck.

Then, he found chunks of concrete and some other little rocks to throw up to try to dislodge the ball.

Now one would think that the person in charge on the playground would, you know, put a stop to the behavior. But not this particular person. I seriously doubt she even noticed what he was doing until it was too late. She's not terribly observant.

I'll refrain from making remarks about professionalism, vigilance and taking things seriously. But if you could hear me in person....

Let's just go with, "We may have at least one person working there who possibly isn't as personally invested in the safety of the kids as I am." and then leave it at that.

You've heard the saying, 'What goes up must come down', right?

The last chunk of concrete that he threw up to hit the ball DID come down. Squarely on the top of his head.

I heard from several children and at least one staff person that the scalp wound was pretty bloody.

And that the 'caregiver' who allowed him to repeatedly throw the rocks into the air embarrassed him over it.

I had an accident report clipped onto the clipboard to give to his parent/guardian when he was picked up this afternoon, but I left before that p/g arrived.

I know p/g was contacted regarding the accident, though.

It really bothers me when not everyone who deals with the children has the same safety standards and the same worry about the kids.

I don't like having accident reports, as I mentioned, but when it's something that happens because of consistent rule breaking and the person who's supposed to be watching ISN'T, it really pisses me off.

13 comments:

  1. I would be furious. I am a nobody and if I had seen that from across the street, I would have been right over there to stop the kid and find an adult in charge. Common sense plus I live by all children are my children. So far that has never gotten me in trouble. (And I'm 56 with no intention of stopping now.) Congratulations on raising a good man. Cheers to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) Happy to have had a hand raising a good person.

      I can't believe that he was allowed to throw rocks up into the air for so long. If someone were to ASK me (no one has) I would call that negligence.

      Of course I can't say that here. But it's not the first example of unprofessional behavior I've seen in specific coworkers.

      :::sigh::

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Matt! Exciting times for you and the famiy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting and perhaps a little melancholy. I love the girl he's picked out. And I'm happy that HE will be happy. But of course it will be an adjustment for me. :)

      Delete
  3. As well it should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I'm just too crabby. :)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6:39 PM

    Happy Birthday, Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Matt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first baby. I can't even believe he's done being a baby, a child, a teen... he's all grown up. ::sigh::

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday to Matt! Compassion, integrity and humor are some of the best traits you can have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very proud of my kids. They're both such amazing people.

      And maybe a little smartassy.

      Delete
  7. Thx for sharing your days and thoughts with us.
    Happy Birthday to your Matt.
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?