I mentioned the summer food program training I had to attend on Thursday.
I don't agree with the politically correct bullshit (we must post a specific photo of the Statue of Liberty with the stirring phrase, "And Justice for All." within a certain distance from the food, for example. If we do not, "we are violating their civil rights.")
but we're required to complete the exact SAME training every year in order to
point to a sack lunch and say, "You must take a sandwich and milk. If
you don't want a part of your lunch, you may place it on the sharing
tray in ten minutes."
We heard several stories from people who've served
lunches for years.
Examples of the things that can happen in your feeding program.
Many of the lower income apartment complexes run a USDA
feeding program during the summer. I have ZERO problems with the idea of
feeding children. In some cases, that will be the only meal the child
gets each day all summer. There is no food available on weekends for them, either. That's NOT okay, and it makes me angry.
So the
actual food is a good thing.
But it's meant to feed children.
The adults who own the kids often are hungry, too. We are to explain
that the food is only for children, that they are not to take the food
from the premises, and that no adult is to consume any part of a child's
lunch. That's not us making up rules, that's the USDA.
So according to some people who administer the feeding program for a
nearby apartment complex, there was a family that for the first two
weeks tried to take the food with them every day. Not only did the people in charge have to remind the parents continually that 'the food is for the kids', they didn't want to
stay and eat, they wanted to take it home.
The third week, they showed up on Monday and announced to the server that their religion now
required them to wash their children's food in a certain way as they
prayed over it, then they had to sprinkle it with holy water before the
children could eat it. And that it could only be done properly in their own home.
Suddenly it was okay for the adults to take food AND to take it off the premises. Because RELIGION.
We're
not qualified to decide whether it's a valid religion, ask any
questions of the supposed adherent to the religion, or you know discriminate against them.
So this family took enough lunches for their children every day for the rest of the summer and there was not a thing the program could say or do about it.
So where's the problem here?
I
think it lies with feeding only the kids. Perhaps allowing the adults
to, you know, just eat or buy a lunch at a very reduced rate would be better.
Let's face it, this is not a gourmet meal. I eat a lot of crap, but I won't touch one of these 'meals'.
It's
turkey turned into "ham." Or turkey that's just turkey. Between two
slices of bread. With a slice of processed cheese food. A little bag of goldfish
crackers or some other small snacky thing like raisins or celery or
carrots. Sometimes a little packet of ranch dressing.An apple or an
orange. No peanuts or nut products.
This is not good,
nutritious food. It's cheap, nutritionally void crap, paid for by you
and me. And a great deal of it is wasted, the lunches that aren't eaten all over our city and your city and everyone else's city
are trashed. Think about assigning a dollar value to that. Disgusting, isn't it?
So I guess I don't understand why people who
are desperate enough to make up a story about their religion in order to
score a bag of crap to eat shouldn't be fed by the same program we're
paying for anyway. I am sure there is ample 'food' to make sure that
none of them are going hungry. It may be crap, but at least it's a meal.
So
I find myself pissed off on one hand that people are scamming, but then
I think about what it is they're getting for their story. It would be a
lot different if they were getting money or something of great value, but they're doing this because they are HUNGRY.
What a shitty state of affairs.
Justice for all indeed.
Something definitely needs fixing with this system. Either offer the lunch to the parents at a discount rate or let the kids take the leftovers home for their family. It would just get thrown away, wouldn't it? I'm talking the food that is on the "sharing" tray?
ReplyDeleteIt ALL gets thrown away. We put it back on the cart it was delivered on, it goes back to food prep, it's counted and tossed in the garbage.
ReplyDeleteThe whole program is an appalling waste of taxpayer money, since twice the amount of people could be fed without extra cost.
If I ran the world...
The amount of food that gets thrown in the trash is appalling. I say, if you give it to them, it's theirs. If they want to take it home, let them take it home. I despise waste!
ReplyDeleteI hate waste, too. Especially since I am helping to PAY for the damn stuff!!! And in MY home, we do not waste food because we can't afford to. So yeah, this pisses me off big time. Not that it does me any good to get angry.
DeleteNot only is this rule sinful, it's a disgrace!
ReplyDeleteNo one in this country of ours should go hungry!
Thanks for taking of your good time to rant and share. :0)
(((hugs)))
I just hate the waste. We, the taxpayers, are buying this food and it is being thrown in the garbage. And it's one HELL of a lot of food.
DeleteWith all of the food stamps, and SNAP cards... and lunches for kids... and all of those other abused feeding programs, how in the Hell are these kids/people starving?
ReplyDeleteOf course, I know that many of the parents sell their cards/stamps and use the money for drugs, but why should the tax payer be double slammed for these people's inability to better manage their families?
In response to Ms. A., we had a group of high school kids visit the College of Business a few weeks ago, and we fed them... had the event catered. Instead of taking one or two pieces of chicken, they took four or five pieces... ate just a bite or so off of each one, and then threw the rest AWAY!!!!!!
WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?1?!
~shoes~
See, you sound like my hubby. And I know there are people like that out there. Tons of them. It's appalling. But since the food just gets thrown out after we serve, it just seems so wasteful to not allow people to eat it.
DeleteDuring the summer, the only feeding program available is the one provided by the USDA, at least as far as I know. I personally know of one family whose children wouldn't have been fed during the day if the program hadn't been available. During the school year, they get all kinds of free food at school.
But again... given all of the money that is spent on them to eat, they are the ones that are screwing it up... their 'parents' anyway...
Delete~shoes~
A few years back I received a phone call form the head of the cafeteria. Oldest was out of money AGAIN on his "Card". She asked me if he was eating enough at home. I thought so... he' eat breakfast at home, then breakfast at before school, snack (that I packed) buy lunch, then snack again, then snack again at after school, and then dinner. She said he was STARVING at lunch (his words) and always bought double or triple lunch, which of course I had no idea. (hence the running out of money so fast) She wanted to talk to me about limiting him to a lunch and a half... which I had no problem with, but didn't want to over step if we didn't have food at home. Seems A LOT of kids who get double lunch don't have food at home.
ReplyDeleteDon't know why I'm sharing, just thought it was nice that she was looking out for my son AND my wallet. And religion had nothing to do with it. :)
I work in a school (I'm sure you had NO idea...) and our cafeteria supervisor is the same way. Really watches out for the kids, will feed them if they're out of money and keeps in contact with the parents very well. She really cares about all the small people she's in contact with.
DeleteIt's sad that not every child knows that they'll be fed at home, and that they have to eat double lunches just in case. :(