I managed the grocery shopping, Lyssa went with me. It's usually my weekly date with the hubby, but he worked this weekend. A little extra cash. I did a couple loads of laundry, sat around a bit, and took in a not-quite argument between my brother, who is a bigot and an asshole and my gay cousin.
Caution. Rant ahead. There's a lot more than what I've posted, but this is a big one for me.
Stop reading now if you don't like rants.
I'm sure that some of you won't respect me in the morning after reading this.
That's okay.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My brother has written a book. My cousin is a person of some political influence, and although my brother has been quite magnanimous (Well, I LOVE YOU even though I don't approve of your LIFESTYLE CHOICES) he isn't above asking her to use her influence to promote him and his agenda (although he won't stay in her home with her and her partner because the gay!!!)
If he came to me to ask for help in promoting himself, I'd tell him to shove it up his ass, but my cousin very kindly used her clout to get him in to see some pretty influential people.
And this weekend he posted this cartoon on FB with this little comment:
Ahhh.. the liberal mind never fails to confound even the wisest man.
I said, "I would like to know why Linus needs an abortion."
My cousin, who is no mental slouch, answered with this:
Can I choose to smoke pot instead of drinking alcohol ? No Pot Makes you lazy and fat. Can I invest in alternative energy? No It is better to subsidize big oil and pollution to produce record profits for corporations and gouge the working class poor. Can I choose to marry who I love. No that's offensive. Can I choose an abortion? No have the children, entitlements are wrong, and make sure those gays don't adopt you. Ahhh.. the Conservative mind never fails to confound even the wisest man or woman.
His response?
"Love you, cousin."
He's an asshole, my brother is.
And so are many of his friends. I'd venture to say they all are, but I don't know all of them.
One of his facebook friends said, "hang in there Dick.* The meaning is not lost on all of us."
*his name isn't Dick.. But it should be.
I SOOOO wanted to say, "The meaning? You mean stealing the work of Charles Schulz for a political message, then publicly treating a member of your own family like shit after they go out of their way to help you? Yeah, the meaning isn't lost on all of us."
And then maybe added 'fuck you'.
I am so tired of the "Christian" love my brother demonstrates to the world in general. He makes religion look bad.
He was practicing for archery season a few years back. Most people get a target. Not my brother. No, that fucker got rubber tipped arrows and shot them at cows. Yes, that's right. That Jesus-lovin' fine Christian man abused animals that did not even belong to him in preparation for hunting season. He just drove around with his sons and shot cows with rubber tipped arrows.
Can't you just feel the love? And isn't it an amazing coincidence that their god hates all the same things they do?
My extended family doesn't read my blog. Want to know why? Because of the 'offensive' things on my sidebars.
I refuse to hate gay people... in fact, publicly support the right of any consenting adult to marry the person of their choice. I absolutely will never set foot in a church for any reason other than a wedding or a funeral for the rest of my life for SO many reasons.
My family blames my husband for me no longer going to church... when he had nothing to do with it. I don't believe in God or go to church because the brand of 'love' I've seen demonstrated by religion my entire life is anything but love. Until I was 20, I was surrounded by people who say dumb fucking things like 'hate the sin but love the sinner.' I always hated that, but wasn't sure how to articulate it.
From here"This is a classic dodge used by many Christians to avoid the logical conclusions of their actions and beliefs. I am sure you have heard countless times, hate the sin but love the sinner. To the homosexual, they say, yes God hates your sin, but we love you and so does God. They never seem to understand how disingenuous this sounds. Telling someone they are hated and at the same time telling them they are loved is contradictory and quite confusing.
But Bruce, it is the sin God hates not the person, the Christian says. Only in the Christian bubble does this kind of thinking make any sense. I look at it this way…if you came upon a skunk in the woods and he sprayed you, would you say, I hate the smell but love the skunk? Of course not. The skunk and the smell are intricately linked. (besides the Bible says, The boastful shall not stand before Your eyes; You hate all evildoers. You destroy those who speak lies; the LORD abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man. (Psalm 5:5-6) The LORD tests the righteous, but His soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence. (Psalm 11:5) )
I wish Christians would be honest about this and quit trying to cover up the harshness of their beliefs with cheap clichΓ©s that no one believes."
I would say that they are NOT Christian if they act like that. They might want to be, but that's not it. 'love one another as I have loved you'.. end of story. Some people are just asshats. I'm sorry you are related to so many.
ReplyDeleteCan't pick your relatives. :) And even with the shit, I still love them. They're my family. I just do better loving them from a distance.
DeleteUgh. Your brother is a dick. Sorry about all of that.
ReplyDeleteMeh. Just family stuff. No control over any of it. I merely need to vent now and then. :)
DeleteYour brother is a great influence on his kids, isn't he?
ReplyDeleteDespite his influence, both the boys are pretty nice young men.
DeleteHypocritical fucking assholes. Enough said.
ReplyDelete::snort::
DeleteThat *does* pretty much cover it.