Followers

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Kids and Processing loss

In 1973, we lived in John Day, Oregon.
The town was so small we had no full time firefighters or ambulance drivers. It's still that way, actually, these things are done on a volunteer basis, meaning that if one or the other is needed, when they hear the sirens, they need to leave their regular job, drive to the ambulance or fire truck and then to the scene of the problem.

In '73, there were no full time police dispatchers, either.

The following incident changed that forever.

In a house trailer down next to the John Day River about a quarter mile from our house one Christmas morning around 6 AM, a string of faulty lights sparked a fire in the Christmas tree in a family's living room.

I remember the sirens going off forever. I'm sure it was at least 20 minutes. There was no 911 then. No police dispatcher. No one minding the store, so to speak. And the whole family died. They were all found in the same room, apparently overcome by smoke while trying to escape. It was a sad thing, and everyone in town talked about it for weeks.

Bend Bulletin December 26th 1973

The entire Skidgel family perished in the fire. Darcey was in my brother Jim's class.
I recall Jim being sad about it for a couple days, but life went on.

Children are resilient and get through things like the death of a friend fairly easily. It's not being callous, it's just how kids are. They're wired to be able to go on, it's a defense mechanism, I think.

They handle and process life events differently than adults.

In the news here a few weeks ago was the story of six year Vinesa Snegur, who fell into the Clackamas River while on an outing with her family and drowned. The poor little thing never had a chance. The river was very high, the water very swift and cold.

They searched for her for a week, and finally found her body so her family could have a burial and get on with their lives.

It was a very sad thing, she was an adorable little girl, only in first grade.
Not fair and not right that a family went to play in the snow and lost their beautiful daughter/sister.

But the aftermath of it just amazed me.

She attended a school in the Portland Metro area.

The school had a bunch of counselors brought in from all over.

In case.

I know someone who works there... the kids were told basically that they should feel bad since their little friend died, and to come talk to the counselor.

And they were bombarded with it all day long. Periodic announcements were made about the availability of people to talk to. The staff was told to keep an eye on kids and to alert the professionals if they suspected any of the kids were having trouble with it.

"Do you feel bad because your friend died?
Of course you do! Come talk to the counselors!"

"If you don't feel sad, you should!!
Come talk to the counselors if you're not feeling bad!!"

My friend told me that the streets around the school were packed with news media, and that some of them had tried to gain entrance to the building through a non-public door to be able to talk to the kids they saw inside.

She said that a reporter from the Oregonian had procured a photo of another little girl and was shoving it in people's faces on the playground until she was asked to leave, saying, "Is this her? Is this her?"

It was a zoo for days.

The principal of her school was quoted on one of the news stations saying that 'a staff member' had sat in Vinesa's chair in her classroom to be a representative of her, which struck me as sort of morbid and weird.
Is that just me?

And I had a visual thought with the recent loss of little Vinesa.
I could see kids going, "Oh, that's sad."
And then going out to recess to play.

Of course they'd miss having her in their class, and some of them might have a rough time with it, but most of them just... go on.
I KNOW that children don't feel some things the way adults do, I work with them. The small stuff... 'he took my toy, she said I was stupid' are HUGE. The huge things? Seem to just finish and go away.

Except in this case, it seems like kids weren't allowed to just go on.


I visualized Vinesa's classmates running off to play and a grownup grabbing them by the coat sleeve and physically yanking them back. "You can't go off and play and feel good! Your friend is dead!!"

It bothers me, this vision I have. I am not sure how to put it all into words. It just feels... wrong.

I'm sure there are children who might need help processing this, but just in my experience, most of them would just go on. Think about it a few times, maybe remember her once in awhile. But with all the reminders, it's not going to work that way, I don't think.

Why does this feel wrong to me? Does it seem okay to you?

9 comments:

  1. Kids are very resilient! I think if we see one struggling, then we seek help for them on an individual basis. Not push and goad them into it. If they are able to move on, let them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont' think some random counselor will help. we had a kid die in junior high. apparently? it was a heart defect he'd had forever, literally. the big issue? I was totally crushing on the kid. he was the NICEST kid ever, and I really mean that, it's not memory getting in the way. Basically none of the other kids were nice to me, but he really was, we danced together at junior high dances and he talked to me like I was a real person (which back then was really hard to come by)-- so obviously I was completely shattered when he died. I hadn't even known something was wrong. I guess 'everyone knew' so it was never talked about. You don't even want to guess my mental state going through denial. Wow. They had a public funeral IN THE SCHOOL. For jr high and high school graduations, they put an extra chair out and roses on the chair. He was a great kid, but to me that seemed like an odd thing. They didn't do that for everyone who left. The anniversary of his death depressed me for years. I think I was in college before it went by without being huddled in my room, holding back tears. Another kid the grade above me died, and come to think of it, they didn't put flowers out for him in his graduation. His was perhaps a more tragic death. I dreamed that he visited me and told me everything was okay. Was it real? I don't know. But I was at peace after that. I take death of older people a lot easier than younger, they have had long lives, experienced many things. Maybe that shouldn't be a factor, I dont know. But I move on from that easier... I do wonder every now and then, though, if that nice boy from junior high had lived. what would have happened? I'm not saying we would have been together (because obviously I love my husband and so on), but maybe we would have been friends, good friends and I'd have had someone to lean on through some of the other stuff that happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ongoing process of people with useless degrees sucking the public tit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, don't see it. I wonder when this shift happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in 7th grade when 2 boys I'd gone to school with from 1st grade on had a horrible accident. They were sniffing gas downstairs in the one's house. He'd gone upstairs to get munchies, and the water heater kicked in. It ignited the fumes, and Herbe was burned inside (from inhaling the fumes, and the fire following those fumes) and out. He ran up the stairs and apparently left footprints burned into the carpet on his way outside. They couldn't even cut his clothes off his body. They'd melted into him. He lived for a very, very painful few days before he let go. I don't know, if it's because I had a slight crush on Herbe, because we lived just a block or so apart, or if it's because I knew him personally, but it's something that still quickens my heart and makes me very sad. Not so sad that I can't cope, but sad, nonetheless.

    Kids typically are resilient. They get over things in their own time. And while I don't agree with the constant public announcements over the PA system, I do think it's good to have counselors available, if needed. Bugster was in 5th grade when her student teacher and her children were killed by the husband. He didn't kill the child they had together, but he did the rest of them in. It was hard on Bugster, but having someone at the school to talk to did help.

    I know that when Herbe died, the funeral was at our junior high school. After the funeral was done, I remember that several of the teachers shushed anyone who brought Herbe's name up in class. He was completely off-limits. I don't know that that is the answer, either.

    In fact, I don't know what the answer is. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so weird, I agree. As I went to school there were kids that died. One in a freak lightning accident, another in a DUI situation, one on a bicycle as she went down the road and got hit, another that commit suicide...and not one word was even said at school by anyone other than us kids talking about it amongst ourselves and like you said, it was sad and we felt horrible for a bit, but we went on and after a few days no one even mentioned it any more, not even the ones that happened when I was in highschool. I don't think kids really fully grasp the concept of DEAD. I think that is an adult thing when you outgrow that immortality state of mind you have when you're young.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watching my kids now, a mere two months after their father died, I am amazed at their resiliency. While he wasn't apart of their everyday, he was still their father, and honestly they have many many people to talk to.

    Know what?

    They don't. They are really OK. Things come up now and then, they will say something and then go right back to what they were doing. In fact the only time they have even looked sad is when a doctor was saying how sorry she was for their loss, and even then, they just moved on. But I will say that when his family was around (they have since found a new flavor of the day) and were constantly reminding them of "how sad it was" and "how their dad would have loved to be there"... it was BRUTAL. It was like they were imposing their own guilt/sorrow on them. I suspect the adults in this instance are trying to do the same thing.

    OK. That's all I got. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...

    What a powerful post... and equally powerful comments.

    As adults, sometimes we get in the way of kids grieving.

    On 09/11/2001, the news of the attacks came early... and many profs were cancelling classes on campus. I got word out that my classes would meet... attendance wasn't mandatory, but I would be there.

    Someone asked me about that later, and my response was that the students for the most part are upset.... and need some continuity...

    I had full attendance for those next few days...

    We have to know when to be there, and how much to be there.

    What a touching post...

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was in 1st grade a boy in my class was killed in a farming accident. It was a really small school and all of us had been together since Kindergarten (and most of us in Sunday school for even longer). I remember our teacher, Mrs. Steurer, telling us about it. We were sad. I remember the teacher telling us how important it is not to climb on farm equipment ever without a grownup right there. Then we moved on.

    Obviously it was important to me because nearly 40 years later I still remember his name and the warning to be careful around big equipment. But we didn't have counselors at our beck and call and I don't think we needed it. I'm sure Mrs. Steurer would have recognized if any of "her" kids needed more help and would have talked to our parents right away. That's what teachers did. A circus atmosphere would have made us far more upset than having lost a friend.

    Come to think of it, it was much, much harder when a close friend was killed when we were in our mid-20s. I don't think 6 year olds have the same grasp of life and death as 25 year olds. That's when I could have used a counselor.

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?