I've been doing a bit of cleaning.
Figuratively and literally.
It's not very clean around my house or in my brain for a variety of reasons, and what's finally happened is those reasons have all come together and reached critical mass.
Although I can list several, I can't even tell you which reason is the biggest.
I think they all just sort of combine and sit in one big lump in my heart and my house.
I have been laid up with one physical injury after another for more than two years.
The things that have happened to me aren't huge.
They've been very uncomfortable and painful, they've taken a long time to heal, and constantly trying to fit physical therapy and medical appointments and heal and work and be a mom and a wife and all the things I want to be has been less than easy, but I have no illusions or woe is me thing... the injuries and pain are just an inconvenience.
But they're a fact, too.
It's also a fact that when your body is in pain, your brain produces different chemicals.
They aren't necessarily fun.
I was talking to a medical person a couple weeks ago who ended up in a serious manic episode after a traumatic injury. She said that her doctor explained that what likely sent her over the edge into the episode was the huge chemical dump her brain took after the injury on top of other issues she had going on.
I can certainly see that.
And surgeries to repair things like torn rotator cuffs and ACLs and fun things like that are nothing if not traumatic injuries.
It hasn't been all that enjoyable, really.
And not only has it affected my general outlook on life for two years, it's kept me from doing anything but the bare minimum around the house.
I don't feel up to doing a lot.
I have to sit frequently.
I'm tired and I hurt.
My family has been understanding. And they've helped quite a lot. But you know how you clean your kitchen? And then someone else does it and it's not done your way? It's still clean. You still have utensils in the drawer and plates in the cupboard and the meals are mostly on time, but they don't do it the same way you do. It isn't your kind of clean.
There are things that my family does not do unless I ask. And it's at the point where I hesitate to ask, because I have asked so very much from them for the last two years.
So I come home from a shift as a glorified babysitter, and all I feel like doing is sitting down and getting off my knee. You know, the right knee. The one there's 'nothing wrong with'.
I don't want to fold laundry. Put it away. Scrub the bathtub. Clean the floors. Change the bed. All I really want to do is sit here in front of the computer, chat with my imaginary friends, and wait until it's FINALLY time for me to sleep.
I don't want to talk to my family, either. Okay, that's not true. I want to talk to them, but only if they come into the kitchen and hang out with me. I don't want to go sit in the living room, our falling apart couch is so low that when I actually MUST sit on it, I have to stack cushions to sit on because I can't get back up without a good deal of pain in my very healthy right knee. The one there's 'nothing wrong with'.
So really, most of what I do around here involves making bigger messes. I pile the mail up on top of the other stuff that's already on the table.
I pile dirty laundry on top of furniture in the bedroom. Or I toss it on the floor. And then eventually I get it to the hamper. Sometimes. I am not alone in this pursuit. Eric has a drift of laundry in front of the door to the outside that's in our room. I know how odd that sounds, but let me 'splain. We bought a two bedroom house. But we needed three. And the people who owned this house back in the 70's made a big assed living room out of the attached garage. The other end of the house, where we sleep, used to be a living room. Eric built a wall. Hung a door. It's actually a really nice, large bedroom. It would be larger if SOMEONE got rid of some of the crap she's hoarding. Although she's not the only one.
My dresser drawers are full of things I don't wear. And won't wear. The big shirt toss of 2011 went so well and made me feel so good that I'm ready to toss more. There's only one shirt I've slightly regretted tossing... but I wore it a total of three times last year. I think I can live with that.
So my goal for this week is to do four things before I sit down after work. Whether it's tossing four items from my room or folding four towels or picking up four pieces of garbage off the kitchen table or ???? I will do four things.
Of course that doesn't really make a dent in the four million things that need to be done. But it's a start. Right?
Feel better very soon!
ReplyDeleteIt is a start. Sometimes we need some more subtle clearing to help us start, and if you keep at it, you will see a change. Maybe that little change will clear more than your home. :)
ReplyDeleteDon't even get me started on my cluttered house or my cluttered brain. Both could use one of those big trucks that say... "Got Junk". It might take more than one truck and Lord knows how many loads.
ReplyDeleteOh my, I feel your pain. Hubs has to do the laundry (as well as everything else) because I can't. I am nearly out of underwear. When he does do the laundry he just piles it neatly (sense he sarcasm) on my dressing table. I have a difficult time putting things away,too. So I have a little sign in my room that reminds me to "Do One Thing." I commend you for aiming for four!!
ReplyDeleteFour things, four minutes whatever. If you do four things, that's four things you don't have to do tomorrow. It breaks my heart to hear you call yourself a glorified babysitter, you are so much more than that. When my kids were little I would have thanked God for someone like you to look after them.
ReplyDeleteI understand this whole 'cleaning' thing. People told me I was crazy when I said I wanted to do spring cleaning this year. The whole house was a wreck. I took ONE thing a week that I deemed a major mess or health hazard (okay I'm overstepping that a bit, but still) and cleaned it. So one week was the front of the dishwasher that everyone slopped food down and made a runny mess, and the inside lid that was streaked with stuff. The next week I did the outsides of the fridge and freezer. The next the washer and dryer, and cleaned the lint trap really well. Small things, but they do add to the overall tidiness of the house. The last thing I did was windows, and that was about 8 weeks ago maybe. I just don't have the energy to do the big stuff anymore. I'll be happy to have the laundry mostly caught up and the dishes not overpiling the sink (like they are RIGHT NOW, dangit) when I go into labor...
ReplyDeleteFour is an excellent number. And hey, if you pick up five things off the floor, you could bank the extra (like weight watcher points) for the weekend so you could only do three on Saturday. :)
ReplyDeleteIs it wrong that the biggest reason I want the wedding to finally come because I can finally get all this Shit out of my house? I can't stand it, it's everywhere.
Four things is better than NO things, so keep up the good work! Maybe you can up it to five one day. Hugs to you!
ReplyDeleteYou do realize that those of us who manage to do THREE things consider you an overachiever, right?
ReplyDeleteSeriously, you're awesome to do all that you do. I can't imagine being in constant pain and dealing with small children all day.
With all you are dealing with, of course general life gets overwhelming at times. Hang in there. Hope you feel better soon!
ReplyDeleteIt is a very good start , a little at a time you will get your space back
ReplyDeleteDare I say it? Fly Lady? *shiver* never mind. The "four things" is very similar to that fling boogie thing she has people do.
ReplyDeleteP.S...."Jax" here, saying hello! *wave*
Some days, I count these as my four things:
ReplyDelete1. Get out of bed.
2. Use restroom as needed.
3. Eat/drink as necessary.
4. Go back to bed.
But I like the idea of folding 4 towels, too. I could do that! ;O)
I Like Judy's 4 things. Yes 4 can be very productive and all the small things do add up!
ReplyDelete