I have seen frugal and I am not it.
Oh, I do things to save money. Some of them even work. I don't know how cost effective they are, though.
Example:
Everyone in our family except for Alyssa uses the same shampoo.
I buy a large pump bottle of it now and then. If you're familiar with pump bottles, you know the last half inch or so doesn't pump. So I break out the new one.
What I should do is turn the old one upside down into a funnel and pour it into the new one. And eventually I do. After six or eight bottles with a half inch of shampoo accumulate on the bathroom counter or in the cupboard under the sink or in the hallway closet.
I spend an hour or so on an occasional weekend afternoon upending one after the other into a funnel and into one bottle. Did it last Saturday, in fact. Ended up with a bottle that's more than half full and stuck it under the bathroom sink. Rinsed and recycled the bottles.
Was the hour worth it? A bottle of shampoo is about five dollars. I didn't have to stand over the sink and babysit the process. Actual working time was probably a total of five minutes. Which averages out to a dollar a minute.
::shrug::
Let's see. How else do I save money?
I buy the cheapest per pound or ounce size of whatever product it is. A 16 oz box of cereal vs the 32 oz package... 16 oz for $2.99, 32 oz for $3.50. Obviously the larger box is a better deal, although I'm spending 51 cents more up front, I'm saving.
I don't worry about brand names on some items. Ketchup, for example. On the other hand, I prefer to have certain brands of other things.
I buy 99% of my clothing at Goodwill. Even when I didn't know about shopping at thrift stores, I wasn't label conscious. I don't like my body being used as a billboard for products, and the only people I'd impress with certain brands would be the bubbleheaded sort who find that sort of stuff important.
But I was looking for a white zippered hooded sweatshirt to dye recently. I have learned a couple new techniques/designs through messing around and wanted to try something specific.
I didn't find the sweatshirt I wanted at Goodwill. I didn't find it at Dharma Trading, either. I found one at Sprawlmart, but it was 50% polyester. That won't dye properly, and polyester makes me sweaty when I wear it. Not a bargain.
I finally found a 90% cotton one at Amazon. It was $32.00. Which is a lot. But I will wear the hell out of it. Unless I really ruin it with the dye process.
That's NOT frugal. I don't need the jacket. I have a lot of them. But I really, really wanted to try this idea.
I figure that I have saved so much buying my clothing at Goodwill that I've more than saved the amount it took me to buy the jacket. Which of course is rationalization, but what the hell.
:)
We buy bottled water. Yeah, I know. It's just tap water from somewhere. The bottles are a wasteful thing. It's not cheap. However. The shit that comes out of the tap where I live smells and tastes like a swimming pool. We have a filtration pitcher, but it doesn't do shit for the chlorine smell or taste. The school I work in is ancient. They have an ancient water system. And the water that comes out of the drinking fountains tastes and smells nasty. Oh, and then there's the yuck factor... ever watch kids drink from a fountain? So I take a case of water to work and store it in the back room so I won't get dehydrated. Eric takes it to work with him for the same reason.
I DO recycle the bottles. And I feel bad about buying them, but I won't drink the crap we get from the local tap.
I go to Goodwill first for most things. Clothing, furniture, dishes, towels, sporting goods, toys and games for work, lamps and light fixtures and office supplies and crafty materials... we've done the Goodwill Tour 2011 here already, so you know about my addiction.
We do drive a large, inefficient vehicle. But it's paid for. The insurance is very inexpensive. Even with the poor mileage, it still costs us about 250 a month to drive. Cheaper than a car payment, higher insurance premiums etc. Better for our bottom line.
And I'm still way greener than Algore, the guy who's the poster boy for greenest of the green. You've heard of him, right? Nine or eleven or whatever mansions... a huge houseboat manufactured in a different country, a fleet of private jets that he uses to travel around the world to lecture everyone about being green and caring for the planet. I'd be willing to bet just about anything that Al does NOT buy anything at Goodwill. I'll bet there is nothing in his closet that cost less than 500 bucks.
We have cable. The internet. Netflix. Several computers. This and that. Things we don't need. Definitely some luxury items, but not many of them. No expensive hobbies. Almost never take a vacation.
So I refuse to feel guilty over the few things I'm doing 'wrong'.
If we suddenly were faced with having to give up 'luxuries' there would definitely be things we could cut, but I don't know how much we'd really save.
So I guess I'm not frugal. Cheap on occasion would be a better description, I think.
Honestly, I'm neither frugal nor cheap. Though I try to handle all things in moderation. We make sure money goes into savings every month and such. I try not to go overboard on Amazon.com orders. Other than that, hand me the $10 shampoo. ;)
ReplyDeleteHi friend/follower......I luv ur style of writing! :0)
ReplyDeleteI don't buy stuff at goodwill, I shop at the megamart out of habit (hey it fed my family for a lot of years and one of my brothers still works at a megamart and it has fed his family for a lot of years too)... but I also am trying to garden. I recently got to share some of my produce. makes me happy! I also buy from the discount food store. you know, where they chain the carts together and make you put a quarter in (you get it back), it's simple incentive to return the cart, and why all other stores haven't.. well, I digress. anyway, you're right, brand name does NOT matter on a lot of stuff. if you're 'home making' your food anyway, a can of tomatoes is a freaking can of tomatoes. by the time you add it to juice and chili seasoning and a whack of beef to make chili.. yeah who knows where the tomatoes come from or cares by then? Also, when you can get enough for food 3-4 weeks (having to go back for milk, duh) for about $100, that's a win. You know that I recycle. Just about everything. It takes over our garage every few months. It's crazy. I wash $hitty diapers in my washing machine. Then I re-use them. A lot of people find that gross, but they are clean once they come out of the dryer, so...yeah. We do our best to be crunchy/green/ eco friendly without being stupid about it. We use a lot less paper products than ever before, but we're not at the recycled toilet paper point yet.. everyone has their comfort level. I try and live as good as or a step above where my parents have been. I figure if we can keep the generations 'about the same' as far as waste goes, maybe it won't continue to grow. And I'm SO with you on the 'price per ounce' or whatever. Makes total sense. Man, I ramble too much!
ReplyDeleteMy grandparents use to cut the napkins in half. ANYWAYS--GREAT POST! Have as great Saturday.
ReplyDeleteI figure the $32 sweatshirt worn an average of twice a week for a year is more frugal than the $3 top purchased at Goodwill and worn only 5 times before realizing I really don't like it. For some reason this reminds me that my Grandpa once refused to buy a new pair of pants because he figured he'd die before the pants wore out, therefor it wasn't a good buy.
ReplyDeleteAnd we've lived some places with really nasty water. Wow, I hear you on that one.
I try to be frugal, but not nutty about it. Alas, my husband is not frugal and is a bit nutty about it.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are coming outon the side of frugal for the most part, but shessh girl! lou do have the right to splurge on the stuff you really wnat now and then
ReplyDeleteI grew up really poor, poverty in fact. Now that I am not poor I just don't want to care about frugality. Life is too short. Just do what makes you happy.
ReplyDeleteI think we're a lot alike on the frugality issue. Although, I can't handle the sprays they use on the clothes in the thrift stores (sets my asthma off every time), so I usually buy new but with really steeeeep discounts for less than I could buy used at the thrift stores. And we rarely get bottled water, but I admit to not recycling the bottles when we get it. I have a slight problem with keeping too much stuff I shouldn't, if you hadn't heard by now, so until I've got things cleared out, I don't recycle. Besides, the emissions from the car to drag all the recycling across town to drop it off probably negates the savings for the environment for turning everything back in, anyway.
ReplyDeleteAnd I do the same thing with my lotion bottles as you do with the shampoo. But lotion doesn't flow from one bottle to the next very well. Last time I did the transfer, I heated the lotion in the microwave for about 30 seconds, and it poured out like water. Thickened up again as it cool. It was so nice to get rid of all those extra bottles, and I ended up with a bottle half full of my favorite lotion. Definitely a win/win. :)
Can't wait to see how your sweatshirt turns out!
I guess I could mention that we have curbside recycling here. So whatever it is, we just toss it in the blue bin instead of the brown one. Water bottles, paper, cardboard, soup cans, milk jugs, newspaper etc. It's part of our garbage service. So I don't have to work all that hard to recycle. If it weren't that easy, I don't know how good I'd be at it.
ReplyDeleteI'm not that frugal either. Take couponing. People save buttloads of money but I just can't make myself do it. Heck I am broke about 4 months a year and still can't make myself coupon. I don't spend money on ridiculous things..well "I" don't think they are. I used to have a clothes addiction when I was married with Money. Now I am without money and also realize..really who cares what I wear? I mean it is clean and nice, just not designer. Kei has never cared about labels but she loves to look 'cool'. I often wonder if she would still be so uncaring about labels AND such a funky dresser if she was in PS.
ReplyDeleteI think that as long as you save where you can, and do what works for you, it's all good.
ReplyDeleteRecycling, being smart with money, and repurposing things shouldn't be painful. If it is then no one would want to do it.
I coupon, so that once a week I can get McDonald's for the kids. I bought shorts at Savers so that I could bring the kids to Water Wizz for the day. The money gets spent, it's just my choice on how to spend it. :)
I'm frugal and cheap. So tight I squeak when I walk! (and it's not because I have to be, I just am)
ReplyDeleteHi Ami, I don't know about frugal but I wanted to comment on your lovely post because this is something Alicia and I have been giving some thought to recently. It is something I've been meaning to blog about. We are coming round to paying what stuff really costs... along the lines of fair trade, sweat free etc, buying locally rather than produce that has travelled a long way, supporting smaller, honest local businesses, shopping for less, more frequently. We've abandoned advertising as much is possible, turned our backs on supermarkets and their 'weekly shop' ritual and questioned the lives and environments that went into making the product we are buying. It isn't that we are being political, joining a movement or trying to set an expample to others. It is none of those things. It is just that we have become more aware of the human and environment cost of all this consumerism and waste, and we care about people, and we find it hard to live with ourselves if we take part in something that we know involved exploiting somebody/something else. It is early days and we are having to do a fair old bit of research, but it's a learning curve for us.
ReplyDelete