Followers

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

My poor dog

Poor Maggie is doing the whole vestibular disturbance thing again. You can look it up on Google and learn a little about it, but basically she gets confused on her way through the kitchen, loses her balance, goes all stiff-legged, and eventually turns around and goes back to lie down next to the bed instead of going outside as she had planned to do.

This morning she did it like three times, and Lyssa decided to help her get the rest of the way through the kitchen. It didn't go so well and the dog ended up falling on the floor in the kitchen with her legs all splayed out. She laid there, crying a bit and trying to get up.

Lyssa could not lift her up, and I had her go get Matt out of bed to help. With the aid of a bath towel made into a sling, he got Maggie outside.

She's pretty stiff and sore tonight, and not getting around all that well, but is able to walk. We're keeping her dosed up on aspirin, which seems to help her with her arthritis in general, so hopefully she will be better Tuesday morning.

In all my contingency planning, I did not ponder what might happen if something goes wrong with my dog while everyone is gone.

She is 14 years old. Things do happen.

We were talking this evening that we certainly don't want her to die, but that if she's going to, we'd really prefer not to have to make that choice for her. It would be better if she just went to sleep at night and did not wake up in the morning.

This is why I did not want to get a dog all those years ago, and why I don't ever want to get another one when she is gone. Too hard to lose them.

7 comments:

  1. You know I understand! Making that choice was the hardest thing I ever did but it was necessary in this case. My poor babies! Getting Tucker has gone a long way to help me feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard when they get old and infirm, but to me the years of love are worth the hurt at the end. Hope she gets feeling better and you enjoy more time with her

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Darling! I feel for you and your pup. My old kitty is starting to feel her age as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry. We just got our puppy and Kei loves him so much that I live in fear something will happen to him. I can't imagine having to make such a hard, heartbreaking decision. I hope you and yours cherish each minute you get to spend with Maggie.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, man.

    Don't even get me started on doggies dying. My dog is only 5, and I already get teary-eyed just thinking that there may be a day when he won't be with us. The idea is similar to thinking of losing a child. I know people will disagree, but my doggy is like my perpetual 4 year old. He never stops wanting hugs and kisses and needing me to take care of him. He's PERFECT!

    I'm so sorry your family is going though this. I hope your doggy gives you many more years of love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hated our dog. Seriously. In our marriage, we had more fights over that dog than anything else.

    To this day, I cannot speak about her without crying. It was such a horrible experience, when she died. But, I am thankful she went peacefully, out in the sun, in the front yard. (for all the neighbors to see, I might add).

    I was so surprised how attached I was to her and how used to having her under foot I was.


    They say there's "dog people" and "cat people" but I don't think it matters what category you're in--no one likes to lose a pet, a much loved member of the family.

    I hope Maggie is feeling better today! I would love to see a picture of her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand completely where you're coming from, and I'm sorry. :(

    Have you tried glucosamine chondroitin for her arthritis? It greatly helped our dog that no other dog can seem to live up to. She was that special. :) Anyway, it gave her a couple more decent years, too. She was over 16 when we had to take her in.

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?