Followers

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Apologies and Baggage

The subject of emotional baggage came up a couple years ago while I was talking to the father of one of my Girl Scouts.

He commented that he's just too damn old to carry all that stuff anymore. It's too heavy.

Of course, me being, well, me, the idea that emotional baggage has actual weight stayed with me all day and into the night and I ended up writing about it.

I'm reposting parts of that post inside this post.

What prompted this voyage to my blog past?

It was this post from
Jason .
Go.
Read it.
I will wait.
What he said really touched me, and unless your heart is a brick, it should touch you, too.

Are you back?

Okay.

I don't know if I have anyone to apologize to.
I've tried to be kind.
To be decent.
To have empathy and to be careful of other people's spirits.

I sincerely hope that I've never hurt someone in a way that will stick with them forever.

Since I've been hurt that way more than once, I don't ever want to be responsible for that kind of pain in someone else's heart.

But what's the other side of an apology?

Being able to forgive the hurt.
For me, forgiveness is much, much harder than apologizing.

If asked to forgive, I am graceless and abrupt and almost never sincere, although I try to at least look that way.

I don't want to forgive those who have hurt me deeply.
The minor things... I don't even remember them most of the time. I can easily accept those apologies.

But the life-changing hurts?
The things that ripped out chunks of my heart?
Left gaping holes in my spirit?

I'm still angry over those hurts. Furious.

Right or wrong, it's how I feel.

I've known a few people who don't carry a grudge.
I admire that quality.
I just don't think I have it.

Jason's post led to me thinking about my emotional baggage all over again and wondering if I could ever forgive the hurts.

I am carrying quite a lot of baggage. I spent a good portion of my first 20 years packing everything up and taking it with me... good stuff and bad.


My baggage used to resemble what's in the picture, except my cart didn't have any wheels. I was just dragging all those bags along by a rope, tied to my ankle.




















I've been tossing bags overboard for some time now. Tired of carrying them, tired of wondering what I could add to my cart if I had room.

I have a good man in my life, and he's been there the whole time as I've sorted through what I want to toss out and what I want to keep. By virtue of him being himself, he's added wheels to my cart.

He's not afraid to look through the contents of any bag I open. Not timid or squeamish.
Even if said contents are putrid and disgusting after being locked up so long.

Eric never looks at me any differently. His love for me is always there... and he makes sure I always know it.

Because he's willing to help me and support me and love me through every ugly thing I bring out, I've been unpacking those bags for a long time.

I have opened some of the big suitcases and found nothing in them. The contents I had stored there turned to wisps of vapor and sneaked out through the little openings, I guess.

There are bags I packed away with horrible things in them. What's weird is, some of those bad bags have... changed.

They may not have turned good, but the contents are now more benign than malignant after many years of lying quietly inside without being stirred.

Some of the suitcases that look small on the outside are roomy on the inside. That explains why they're so heavy. There's a huge amount of stuff packed inside.

In a sort of weird, treasure-hunt way, there are bits and pieces of certain hurts contained in more than one bag. I have to rummage through a lot of bags to find all the pieces.

Occasionally, I think I've rooted out all the parts of a hurt, only to open an innocuous bag and find traces of anger mixed in with what should contain only happiness.

Evidently, I have a lot more clutter to clear out.

My anxiety and fear have increased exponentially from a 23 year old incident.

I can't go anywhere without the suitcase that is holding that incident.
I hate that.

And if I hate it so much, why am I still hauling it around with me?
I don't know.


That memory has so much... power over me.
So much of my current anxiety is based on just that thing that happened to me 23 years ago.


One could argue that the brutal bastard who hurt me won't do so again and that I'm guarded by a lot of people who love me and care about me.

One could say that I'm not the same gullible person today that I was 23 years ago... and that I'm no longer helpless.

That person would be right on all counts.
But knowing that doesn't heal what hurts me.


Thing is, we all have suitcases.

I'm sure you know at least one person who is carrying a suitcase so full and heavy that just the idea of trying to lift it is astounding. And you wonder how they do it.

Are some people just really strong and able to fling the weight around like it's nothing? Where does that amazing strength come from? Why do some people have so much of it? Why do others have none?

And if we were to forgive the hurts... even if we received no apology... ever, could we stop carrying all this baggage?

Imagine that.

16 comments:

  1. I think about that a lot. And that picture you have of all the suitcases? Well, pretty much perfect. That's what it feels like.

    It's hard to forgive. It really is.

    Beautiful writing. Sorry about your pain.

    I haven't forgiven issues from childhood. And I just can't move on somedays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:55 PM

    Interesting post.

    Most of my childhood pain comes from my family; I barely remember what happened in the schools around me, and from when I was younger, in the elementary schools, half of it might have well not have happened for all I remember. By nature however, I let things go.

    James, not so much. He remembers all and forgives little.

    Maybe the key to forgiveness truly is forgetting (I'm not being snarky here).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post..... For the most part... I just ignore the weight.. but sometimes... once in awhile.... It drags on me hard..... and I have to reorder the bags on my cart so I can then carry on with flinging them around.... =)

    Big hugs and thank you for sharing this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgiveness is difficult by times ,but you made one statement in the post that I want to touch on "That memory has so much... power over me."
    Even if you cannot or will not forgive (and there are some things we can't ) take back the power and it will in time fade some,If we let someone or thing have power over us it can and will begin to control us. This is an incredibly brave post! You are among other things a class act girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've forgiven the people who made me an adult at a very young age. That doesn't mean I wouldn't try to kill one of them if I saw him face to face.

    You know I have baggage. I have a lot less than I used to. Writing/blogging about the issues that come up and releasing the hurtful and hateful emotions that wrecked me for so many years is freeing.

    I recommend a private blog or diary to sort through the feelings. Or, you could hire a hit man! ;)

    I'm hear if you need to vent.

    BTW~ I tagged you for a meme. :)

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that this is a very brave post on your part.

    You are so right that we all have suitcases. Somedays it's downright hard to keep them from all tipping over. It definitely helps to have someone who helps you carry the load. I'm glad you have Eric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...you are being so honest here..many say they have forgiven but have not really..I used to think I forgave but I hadnt...then years of therapy helped me to take responsibility for my self and my actions and through that I have learned to forgive..and to actually see things in a different light...and Im not saying that is the answer or that is the way to go for anyon...Im 49 so It takes time...I loved your post and Jasons as well..I have someone i want to apologize to..I see him around town and I wasnt always nice to him..he had a hard life and I can tell still does...I am very fortunate to have come over here today on this particular day and hear this message..I asked Jason if I could also link with it as you did..may be to pay it forward or to just share an honest and inspirational post...Thank You..!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't want to sound cliche, but have you seen a good therapist? I know some people don't really buy into that idea, but once I finally found a good therapist, she helped me sort through so much stuff and let so many things go, finally.

    I loved the way you described your baggage and the process of going through it. I think talking about that baggage is a really important step.

    Thank you, Ami, for sticking with me for such a long time...you're my first real regular reader aside from my sister and a couple friends that live nearby.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ami..I linked my post regarding this to you and Jason as well..Thank You..!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes...I have a few bags packed myself.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's not Easy by any means to "let go!" But we have to find a way to let go or it will consume us! Hate can consume so much and I dislike the word HATE so I prefere to say I was very disgruntled with my family and peers. My twenties were my trying years. WHO was I, and is this really the path I want to take. To continue carrying all this BAGGAGE! My back aches enough....lol. Not that is was a laughing matter. But, I know oh to well about hanging on! You just have to LET GO! I'm not saying that you will forget; because you won't. But you can Really begin to LIVE! I wasted too much time with poor little me. On the outside I was TOUGH as nails, but on the inside I was a hollow, empty, nothingness. Or so it felt that way, at times. Thankfully my husband and I have "survived" and we can grow old together and not apart.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Only YOU have the power to let go, perhaps not forgive just yet but at least release the grip a little.

    Your hate, fear, regret, sadness gradually nibble away at the good stuff. You need to throw it out.

    See a professional. It helped me.

    You learn to forgive but you don't forget. That sadness doesn't go away when you think back about certain incidents.

    It never will - but it gets easier to unpack the suitcase, it gets easier to unfold, look and pack it all back up again. Because thats were it belongs, folded away and put back in the shed with the cobwebs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm here via green-eyed momster...
    Ironic post, as I'm struggling with an event that happened over the weekend with my in-laws, some who have hurt me very much and very often over the years.
    I'm debating on whether or not to blog about it to vent my emotions. I'm tired of forgiving, I'll certainly NEVER forget, and just pushing it aside for the sake of keeping the peace doesn't seem to be working either.
    My baggage continues to grow. Perhaps only professional counseling will help deminish it in time... if I'd only seek it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12:44 PM

    I think it's terrible that a woman can be brutalized and then the person who attacked her just goes on with life.

    And then what happened stays with her.

    It does not matter if she goes to a counselor or files charges. If the case gets tried, the woman is on trial to.

    I am sorry for what happened to you

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is EXACTLY how I feel! I am so glad that you led me to read this. I hope your suitcase pile starts to dwindle down. I haven't found out how to forgive those who have hurt me but, I figured one thing, I need to forgive myself for feeling responsible for allowing those people to hurt me. I need to realize that those things weren't my fault and force myself to think ''if I 'forgive' them, maybe they'll go away.

    very interesting read :)

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?