Followers

Friday, March 12, 2010

Just whining...

Evidently being a little tense affects the way my shoulder feels.

Visited Shawn today (Thursday) and he was a bit surprised at both the increase in my pain level and decrease in comfortable range of motion.

After we talked about my week, we decided that maybe I'm a little tense. And that hopefully next week (I see him again on Monday) will be better.

I sure hope so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the risk of sounding even more whiny, my knee hurts.
In the general scheme of things, a little knee or shoulder pain isn't that big a deal. I know that.

And I sympathize with everyone who has it worse. I know there are a lot of them.

But my knee has been hurting off and on (mostly on) for almost a year now. If it worked better, I could kick myself in the ass for letting my warranty expire. :)

The knee pain isn't huge, really. But it's enough to wake me up several times in a night. That has its good side, though, if you think about it. It means that my shoulder pain has become small enough now that I'm once again aware that I have a knee.

My knee is waking me up at night. And it hurts when I get out of bed in the morning. And it hurts all day long. And it freezes up and then POPS at random. I never know when it's going to happen. It's not stable, either. I barely kept from crashing into a wall this morning at the school. There are two inclines leading down into the cafeteria. Since I know the knee isn't reliable, I am careful going down the slopes. I slow way down and hover my hand next to the wall just in case.

In this case, it was good to take that precaution.

Except it was my right hand and I ended up hitting the wall with my right shoulder.


::Sigh:::

Because it's been bothering me so much and I'm so very tired of all of it, I've been pondering about the best time to have the surgery done on the knee.

Our entire staff is put on seasonal leave at the beginning of the summer, meaning we have to pay our share of our benefits out of itty bitty paychecks... but then I get to KEEP my health benefits over the summer.

But I'll be collecting disability payments while I'm unable to work.
I'd rather have those payments based on the amount of time I average during a regular work week than based on the very few summer hours I'm likely to get.

But that would mean having the surgery done before school gets out in June. Or waiting until school starts in the fall and trying for November again.

Which sort of worked, except everything at my site went to hell.

If I had surgery over the summer and ended up on leave, I might lose benefits again due to how long I have worked/not worked full time. I don't know how many hours I have put in, but my guess is... not enough.

And I will not go without the benefits again, so I may have to postpone the surgery based on what's best for my family and have the surgery during the 2010-11 school year

Head spinning.

Any advice?
Anyone know how to navigate Oregon Worker's Comp law?
I don't know what to do.

I'm leaning toward just working all summer on a sore knee to give my shoulder all the time it needs to finish healing so I can be on friggin' crutches for six weeks. But of course that means me leaving my site again during the school year for surgery.

And that sucks, too.

::sigh::

Come back tomorrow, I will try to post something that isn't whiny.

Leave good advice in the comments... I don't know what to do.

8 comments:

  1. You can get more money, you can't get 'more' limbs, so do what you can to tighten you budget (I know, hilarious, right?) and do whatever will be best for your recovery overall. What gives you the BEST option, and talk it over with your PT too, because he'll be guiding you through it all and may have some suggestions as to what would be easier that you may not have thought of. Seems like you trust him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking to the PT is a great idea. If you will be on crutches after the knee surgery then you will need a strong shoulder to hold the crutches properly. If you go too soon, and the crutches hurt your shoulder more, you may fall and hurt your knee even more. Then you have two injuries ..... again. Just a thought but I am certainly not a health care professional and I am not actually feeling your pain. (of course you know that I emotionally feel your pain! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:58 AM

    I really have no idea about the health and insurance system in the U.S. (as I live in Switzerland), but I have been reading your blog for some time now and just wanted you to know that I find the stories of your work very interesting and I learn a lot from them - how I want to raise my kids, once I have them (I'm not even married yet).
    I send my best wishes to you, your shoulder and your knee, hope you have a lot of pain free days and nights in your future!
    love, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no good advice but didn't want to NOT comment.
    I think between you and your hubby, you'll figure out what's best.
    I hope you get to feeling better soon though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no good advice. I'm sorry! I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:08 AM

    I would definitely completely heal. I know it will suck to leave your site again, but I wouldn't want to risk re-injuring my shoulder. I also agree with asking your PT, since you trust him.

    Good luck in your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, maybe I will get the chocolates sent for *this* surgery. :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know squat about your insurance situation and a no help there. That said until you figure out what to do I can suggest a couple things to relieve some pain. Get a "choke strap"(looks like and works like a tennis elbow brace ,fits below your knee and supports the tendons and ligaments so there is less risk of hyperextension,) at night in bed either use a rolled up towel or a small pillow,if you sleep on your back place it under the knee to keep it slightly flexed ,on your side ut it between your knees to cushion it. Good luck , take it easy on yourself .And if you can take it use ibuprophen(anti inflamatory/anagesic)

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?