If you are a medical professional, and I am seeing you for the first time, you will know within about five minutes that I have anxiety issues with medical people. I will not tell you what happened to me, because you don't need the details.
You just need to know that I do not like surprises and expect to be informed about exactly what you're doing all the time and act accordingly.
If you're a friend of mine, you know why I have those issues. It's been more than 20 years since the incident that caused me to be this way, but that has not lessened the impact of what happened to me.
So I am very straightforward with the people who are taking care of me, and it's usually not a problem at all. I have received good care and been taken care of by a lot of good people.
I like the orthopedic surgeon I've been seeing. He took good care of me through my knee surgery in June, and has been informative and careful in his dealings with me over the shoulder. He always has time to answer my questions, and I never feel rushed or unimportant.
And until Friday, I have never been surprised under his care.
He breezed into the treatment room, pulled out the pictures of the surgery and went over them with me.
He looked at the incisions, asked me some questions about how I was feeling and about the pain management so far.
Then, he walked up behind me, grabbed my right arm, pulled it out to the side and started torquing on it. I gasped and said, "STOP." He stopped, only to grab it and pull it at another excruciating angle that almost brought me to my knees.
Then, as I stood, shocked and gasping, cradling my now horribly painful arm and shoulder, he started showing me different exercises and telling me he wanted me to, "Push that arm, we don't want it to freeze up." I have no clue what he told me to do or how to do it, I was frozen mentally and physically.
Then, told me to wait for the assistant and he was out the door.
I was left shocked in his wake.
Now I didn't get the feeling from him that he was trying to be an asshole. Seriously. But the whole 'no surprises' rule?
He tossed that fucking thing right out the window, now didn't he?
Betrayed all the trust I had built up in about 20 seconds of shock.
::poof::
So I want to write him a letter.
I want him to know how hard it is for me to ever go back and see him again.
I don't want to accuse him of anything, or call him a jerk or anything like that. I think the most he's guilty of is very insensitive treatment. He's been competent and reliable until now, but I can't go see him again until we get this issue resolved. Because I'll hyperventilate. And cry. And act stupid.
So what would you tell him?
Harsh treatment! Tell him he has betrayed your trust. Sending you lots of hugs.
ReplyDeleteTell him how he made you feel. How you felt tortured and shocked. Better yet, just send him the link this this post via email. He should know that he hurt you! He's lucky I'm not closer to you, I'd offer to kick his ass for you.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry that you had to go through that!
Hugs!!
Tell exactly what you said in that final paragraph. That pretty much sums it up without being overly dramatic, accusatory, or using foul language . . . all of that is better than anything I could give you.
ReplyDeleteI would definitely be overly dramatic, accusatory and I MOST DEFINITELY would be using foul language.
Of course, your mileage may vary.
Just what you told us.
ReplyDeleteGlad you are recovering at a quick pace (save the pain of the pulling). It is too bad you had to go through it all and the sleepness nights. My doctor did a similar thing with my broken finger, grabbing it and pushing. I thought it was mean. I still can't bend the finger much; it is pretty stiff. This week it is worse as I caught it on someone's arm playing volleyball, but at least I had the splint so the joints that were injured were okay. As for what to tell the doctor, just say it how it is. I am sure he wasn't really thinking as he seemed to be in a hurry to get somewhere which doesn't excuse it, but at least you know it wasn't malicious. Good luck with the letter and happy healing.
ReplyDeleteYep, what they all said, and that you are afraid to see him again because you don't know what to expect.
ReplyDelete((((Gentle hugs))))
I'm glad to hear your surgery was a success thus far. As for the Dr...What the hell is up with that?
ReplyDeleteYou should tell him exactly what you wrote here...
ReplyDelete