Followers

Monday, September 29, 2008

I got nothin'.

It's not that my life is totally boring. Or is it? I just don't have anything really exciting to report today. No political statements. No rants.

Hm.

I have a lovely new bruise. I got it when I was trying to step over the dog on Friday night and crunched my knee on the bed railing. We have a waterbed, with padded rails, but I learned that the lower edge isn't really all that padded AND that one's knee can make a lot of weird grinding noises as the cartilage in one's knee is pulverized. Took my breath away for a minute. Ouch.

I am slowly digging out of the mess in the house. I am going to get a few bags of stuff ready for Goodwill soon. I want to empty the cabinets in the laundry room so I can use them as a pantry and get some of the canned goods and baking dishes I don't use often OUT of my kitchen and away. It would help when we come home with a buttload of groceries. It's hard to find a place for it all.

Lyssa's been making some stuffed creatures. She comes up with the pattern on her own, she cuts it all out, embroiders the face and makes whatever she has planned. She's doing all her sewing by hand (I ought to suggest to her that she make some quilts... who knows, maybe I would benefit from it?)

She sews beautifully. Little tiny, uniform stitches. And she's fast, too. I have offered to teach her to use my machine, but so far, she isn't interested in doing so. By the time she wants to learn, she'll probably sew faster than the machine anyway.

She volunteers today at the institution across the street. I'll be waking her up pretty soon so she can get ready to go. She doesn't like to go with wet hair.

Over the weekend, Eric and his guys did more work in the front yard. He brought home a dump truck full of gravel and they dug up and transplanted the big rhododendrons that were planted at the end of the house. It's looking pretty good, although he still has a bunch of stuff to dig up from the back yard and move to the front.

When his company puts in a job and the old landscape has to be dug out, he often brings home the plants that would otherwise be thrown in the trash. We have quite an interesting and eclectic collection in the back yard. He told me yesterday that we're going to have to pick out some bulbs to plant up front. That suits me, I love bulbs. I love that you can stick 'em in the ground and never mess with them again. I have read all the 'dig 'em up and divide 'em stuff, but I never do. I just ignore them and they go nuts. That's one good thing about the climate here.
It may rain from October to June and depress the hell out of almost everyone, but bulbs grow pretty well.

Lyssa wants to go visit her grandparents in November. It will be interesting to see how much bus fare has gone up when I get her ticket. I will probably order it on Friday since the fare is bound to do nothing but increase anyway.

I can't sit here any longer, too much to do before I head out to work.
Happy Monday, y'all.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck on the de-cluttering~
    I'm so jealous of Lyssa. I wish I could sew by hand like that. That is gift! A wonderful one~ Since my brother's wife brought my machine back it don't work, so I can sew. Arrrrh!
    Good luck on the yard! I want pictures!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds busy busy busy over there.

    I can barely sew uniform stitches on the sewing machine, which Mom #2 still has to thread for me, so there will be no hand stitching going on here.

    Happy Monday right back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:26 PM

    It rained here today. At first, he freeway was wet and people were slaming on there brakes and I thought, "Ok people, they're cleaning the street, whatever, keep going." And then, I realized it was raining out of a clear blue sky. And a bubble of joy rose up from me. I wanted to park the car and dance on the freeway (but I resisted). "Look, James, Rain!" And, like that, it was gone.

    Like Kitten, I would love picture of the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:34 PM

    One of my favorite places from WA was Bellingham and the tulip farms. Bulbs DO grow well out there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:35 PM

    Oh and she'd probably like those felt ornaments I made last year and posted sometime in December. Hand sewing was a must.

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?