Followers

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

The experiment is over.

Alyssa has changed her mind about attending public school.

She hates all of it. Oh, except she liked the drama class. Sort of. But doesn't want to continue even with that. It would be a pain in the ass, but I'd drive her up there every other day for class if she wanted to go.

As her first post-high school assignment, I'm going to get her to write up a bit about what she didn't like and let me post it here.

Eric and I discussed it with her last night, and I'll be calling the high school this morning to let them know that she won't be back.

(And won't that be awkward?! 'Um, hello, my student #20388 will no longer be attending classes at your school. We're going back to homeschool.')

It's easiest to just refuse to be drawn into discussion about one's reasons, or so I hear. My guess is that the person will say thank you for calling and go on with her life.

Not that they get calls like that every day. Maybe I'm just hoping that no one will want to discuss anything. It's nothing personal against any teacher or staff person, after all. It's the general environment in which these people labor to provide an education p.s. style. I don't want to discuss it with them, that's for sure.


I think Lyssa has a couple school textbooks in her bag, so we'll need to return those. And since she wants to get a driver's permit, she'll have to take an achievement test so we can get a certificate of attendance from the local Education Service District to take to the D.M.V.

::sigh:::

I thought the testing shit was over for us. What an utter waste of time and energy. And money.

But Lyssa is back home.


::edited to add::

I called the school attendance office, and they transferred me to the registrar's office. I got a recording instead of a live person, so left the message that we're withdrawing Lyssa from school. Left them my cell phone number in case they need to call.

So it was fairly painless.

At least so far.

7 comments:

  1. That's what I was hoping for JB, but football has it's grip on him. I don't blame ya for not wanting to get into details with you, they would never understand.
    All I had to do for Aron's permit was ask for a home school form and fill it out. Have you asked if yall have that also?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad she is home. I hope you don't have to get into too much with the school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Ami--I knew it was iffy but didn't realize it would happen that fast. I do encourage Lyssa to write about it. She might even want to do it formally and I could help see if HEM might want to publish it. As you know, our oldest wanted to go to school once too. She spent a day shadowing a friend and that was the end of that. Reality can be a shock sometimes.
    Welcome back to both of you. We missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was pretty fast. I wouldn't have even left them my cell phone number. You've done your part by notifying them, so there's really nothing more to say. But then, it's kind of a habit when leaving a message to include your return number isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:49 PM

    My heart did a happy dance in the post after this one. (reading backwards)

    You need not give any reason, I would think. After all, we aren't asking permission to hs in the first place - only informing them...as a courtesy.

    I love that she will be helping out in the lower grades. Great opportunity for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Q wanted to stay all day at first. ( I think it was having a locker). That passed in a week. He is happy with his half school schedule. I can't wait to read what she has to write!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! On little week away and her entire public school experience is over and done with. Good for her for having the guts to take a chance and for having the sense to know it wasn't for her. Now she'll never wonder "what if."

    I know you did a little happy dance, I know I would have.

    Good for y'all!

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?