Followers

Thursday, January 03, 2008

All Night Long

When I went to bed around 10 last night, my plans were to sleep until 3:45, then get up and drive Tami and Joseph to the airport. They're headed back east to see Tami's mom, who is still in the hospital in serious condition.

I woke up at least four times because Eric was snoring. He's not usually snoring, (we leave that part up to me) but he's been sick with a bad cold and his sinuses have been awful. He's felt like crap for most of his time off this year.

::Sigh::

Instead of going to sleep and staying asleep after I added earplugs to the stuff inside my head, I woke up about every 45 minutes to check and see if Matt was home yet.


He left yesterday afternoon to go hang out with a friend who got an xbox for Christmas this year.


He planned to be home around 10. He called me about 7:30 and said he'd be 'late'. I told him to let me know when he got home, because I rest better when I know he's home safely.


Well, he didn't COME home. I don't want to be the hovering control freak mom, because he's proven that he's trustworthy, sober, responsible, and usually very considerate. I would think it would be rather annoying to have call after call from your mom, ya know?

I kept debating whether or not to call his cell phone. Finally, about 2:30, when I was awake for the 200th time, I called. He answered and said, "We're still playing video games."


I told him I had to leave for the airport in an hour and a half anyway, but to let me know when he got home. I (prudently) decided to save the discussion for when we were both awake and had some sleep.

I really don't care if he stays out all night as long as he TELLS me he won't be home, he's an adult now, but it occurred to me that I didn't even know where he was. So if he drove off the road, some drunk idiot hit him, he fell asleep at the wheel...(can you tell my mommy brain worries a lot?)

Anyway, I dropped Tami and Joseph off about 4:45 at the airport. When I got home around 4:55, Matt's truck was in the driveway and he was in bed.

I fell asleep and slept like a brick. Lyssa got up about 9:30, but she's quiet. She built a fire in the woodstove, had breakfast, and was in here playing vidiot games and drawing things on the computer when I finally staggered out of bed around 11.

Matt got up, showered, and went to work about 10 minutes before noon.
We had a short discussion about just making sure I know where he is and that if he wants to stay out all night, just TELL ME for goodness sake.

Now we're getting ready for game day, Lyssa's favorite weekly activity. I almost never get to go because I'm usually at work during the afternoons, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm not much on games, but I do enjoy the company of all the homeschooling moms and kids.

I'm really not tired, surprisingly, but I am hungry. Off to eat a sandwich before we leave.

I haven't heard from Tami at all, so I'll be waiting for that, too. What a crummy time of year to go back... all that snow and ice and cold. I'm hoping for a good outcome for her mom, but there's a lot going on there.

I think I'll sleep quite well tonight.

4 comments:

  1. We still have to call our Mom when we visit and leave to go home. Even with able bodied hubbys and all that. Your worries are valid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing more hideous than having to get up at 3:45 to take someone to the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did much better than I would have. I tend to fly into guilt trips about that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:49 PM

    Moms. What would kids do without moms worrying? I think after a while you realize that all the worrying in the world is not going to change what happens. If something happens, you will know about it. Worrying just causes grey hair :-)

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?