According to my local newspaper this morning,
" A group of people opposing Oregon’s new domestic partnership law for same-sex couples failed to gather enough valid signatures to block the law.
According to state election officials the group fell 116 valid signatures shy of the 55,179 signatures required to suspend the law and place it on the November 2008 ballot for a popular vote.
On January 1, 2008, Oregon will become the eighth state to have spousal rights in some form for same-sex couples. "
Well, it's about damn time!
( I'm still waiting for the constitutional amendment that creates a separate state for those who have appointed themselves guardians of what's in my pants and who can touch it, but I think it will be a few years yet.)
I don't care much for our governor, but I think he somehow managed to do the right thing when he signed this bill back in May.
Since I personally know at least two people who will not greet this news with joy, I am posting a link to my favorite Roy Zimmerman song/video.
I *can* sing, but am not as eloquent as he is.
That song was funny. As I'm against same sex marriage don't mean I don't have friends that are gay. I do think the government tries to have too much control over our lives in which we choose to live thou. The government in my opinion is confused on its views anyways.
ReplyDeleteWhy are you against two people who love each other getting married or having some kind of legal 'together' status? How does it affect you personally?
ReplyDeleteCurious, not trying to argue. I truly don't understand how anyone has the right to decide who I choose to be with.
In my experience, those who base their aversion on one sentence in the old testament (and throw the REST of the old testament out, btw) are very narrow in their thinking and deserving of my sympathies for being so limited.
Yes, I was raised that way, but my reasons are personal. I had a friend that was/is gay. We were really close. She acted like she went straight to get pregnant. She had twins, she said she got pregnant to raise them in a gay atmosphere.
ReplyDeleteThere is more to the story and for you wouldn't think I'm just being blind, I told you part of the story.
I wouldn't argue, because everybody is entitled to their thoughts and beliefs. IMO
Well good for Oregon! I don't think the government should have a hand in everything. What a person does, in the end, is between that person and their God. I am in no position to judge anyone for what they do, how they feel, etc. I take that back, there are some things, but those are heinous crimes.
ReplyDeleteYou're right, Ami. That video was funny. LOL
ReplyDeleteAwesome videos views. In a world with so much hate, I support LOVE. Wish everyone would.
ReplyDeletePeace,
Kelly
okay i didnt watch the video, but i have to agree, its like, whats wrong with a little more love in this world? and who are we to judge? and even though I'm a Christian, I take a lot more from Jesus' words as to "love your neighbor as yourself" and "let he who has not sinned cast the first stone" -- of course i'm of the 'being gay is probably most like biological anyway' front, so its like, you can't change that, just accept it like blue eyes or blonde hair or any other recessive trait. its not less, its just different! and difference is good!
ReplyDelete