Several years ago, my parents left the church they were attending. When asked by the people in their community, they simply said that they'd had 'a philosophical difference' with Pastor Cheatem.
Yeah. That.
Here's what happened.
My parents (and the other people in the church) had to fill out their "tithing card" every so often. Not sure what the interval was. But it was a 'contract' between them and God. No weaseling out... you had to promise a certain amount.
My brother, Dick, was having some financial problems at the time. I know quite a bit about WHY, but since I am not the greatest money manager in the universe, I won't cast aspersions. I think most of us just do the best we can, and they were going through a rough patch. I can relate, as much of my life has been a rough patch. :)
So Dick and my sister in law Snatchie* were in danger of losing their home, the few acres they had, and everything they'd worked for. They appealed to my parents for help. And my dad, who would do anything he could for his family, maxed out his credit card and did some other stuff to come up with the money to bail Dick and Snatchie out.
Yay. The man on the white horse rode in at the last second and helped them. I'm glad. I wouldn't wish a loss like that on anyone.
But Pastor Cheatem didn't see it the same way. He called my parents in for a
And my parents, who are sometimes nicer to assholes than I would be, left the church. They figured ol' Pastor Cheatem could get along just fine without them. No word on what God thought, he was mum.
So fast forward about six months.
I went to visit Dick and Snatchie.
Snatchie and I were in the car late one evening running from here to there, and the subject of Pastor Cheatem came up.
I was righteously angry about how he'd treated my parents, and particularly pissed that he professed to know the mind of God with regards to my parents' financial situation. At the time I hadn't completely given up my beliefs, but they were on pretty shaky ground.
And Snatchie snapped at me.
Yes, really... in the snottiest tone imaginable she said, "Well, your parents were in the wrong, it was BIBLICAL for the pastor to speak to them. God has placed him in authority over your parents."
Are you fucking kidding me, Snatchie??? Really??? MY PARENTS bailed YOUR PAMPERED ASS out, you still have a home because of it, and you side against them?
That was the beginning of the end as far as our relationship went. There was this happy incident, too.
I am not a perfect person, and I don't always say or do the right thing. I try to keep my heart in the right place, though. Sometimes I manage to do that.
Anyway, I was involved in another little exchange with Dick on FB this afternoon, (noooo! teh GAYS are taking over!! Marriage equality and the hand of God and the world on FIIIARRRRRR!!) and I'm a little aggravated.
In addition, some of the little Dicklings he goes to church with chimed in.
With something I hate so passionately that if they were where I could see them, I'd be face slapping.
"I hate the SIN, not the SINNER."
And instead of continuing the discussion, I decided to rant here. Because Dick doesn't read here, Snatchie doesn't read here, and none of the Dicklings even know I exist, really.
Ah. Wasn't that fun?
Now I am going to finish the dishes and do a little tangly stuff. I actually am supposed to work tomorrow for a few hours. Kind of pisses me off that I'm getting a little sore throat.
Seriously, that doesn't happen in other places. People, especially churches understand when there is a lowering of incomes. Can I tell you a secret? You're acting way more like Jesus wants people to than anyone you've mentioned says they are Christian in your family. IMHO, anyway. Trust me, I am NOT perfect, but I've run across a few atheists or agnostics and generally they have more Christian blood running through their veins than some who profess the faith on Sunday and shame the sinners over the water cooler Monday.
ReplyDeleteThe 'pastor' of that church was asked to step down eventually, because people were leaving in droves and someone somewhere took notice.
Delete::shrug::
My religious creed is as follows:
"Try not to be an asshole."
That's it. Simple. To the point. Do I sometimes 'slip' and not be the person I want to be? Yes. But generally, I try to be kind to everyone I meet and know. To accept that their life doesn't have to look like mine to be okay.
I don't know much about churches, but I've heard stories of ones that do that - shame people for not doing certain things.
ReplyDeleteThere's a story in my family, actually. When one of my great aunts was born (I'm too lazy to dig out my great aunt Espezzia's story to look up which one it was), my great-great grandpa Bartolomeo didn't have any money to pay the priest at the time of the baptism. Yeah, my family is Italian on that side, so they were Catholic.
WERE.
On Sunday the priest told the congregation that he'd performed the baptism, but hadn't been paid. Grandpa Bartolomeo paid the guy and told him they were done with his church. The never returned, though they did start attending a Methodist church later.
So I guess that mentality about money isn't just for 1900 to 1920...
Oh, and I love "Snatchie". Great pseudonym.
You want to tell Dick to shove his sin/sinner thing up his ass. I can tell.
So cool to know stories from the distant past like that. One more reason to write down memories for your kids and their kids and their kids and their kids and.....
DeleteSnatchie made me snicker when I thought of it. I wonder what she would say if I called her that? Hmm.
And right now, no, I don't want to tell Dick ANYTHING... I don't care about talking to him at all in any way. Because he's a dick.
20-ish years ago I stopped trying to go to church because I was volunteering at an animal shelter on Sunday mornings. I stopped feeling guilty about it when it occurred to me that I was doing more for God's creation than most of the tithing church-goers.
ReplyDeleteI donate time and money to any number of God's children, all the time. Any pastor who thinks he's better qualified than I am, to decide how my "gifts" are spent, can kiss my ass.
Hell yes!! And I was a little disappointed that my father, who doesn't like that kind of thing, didn't tell the pastor to kiss HIS ass. And that my parents didn't tell anyone else in their little town WHY they had stopped going to that church.
DeletePersonally, I would have told everyone I knew. And maybe taken out a discreet little half page ad in the local newspaper. ;)
Churches are businesses, created by man. God's church was the entire world, it was not contained in a specific building with bills and overhead and pastors that think they ARE God.
ReplyDeleteI had a disagreement with someone about that very same issue this week. Yes, churches are businesses. And I think it's appalling that they don't have to pay taxes. I get separation of church and state, but doesn't that work both ways? Why should they be entitled to police and fire protection if they don't help pay for it?
DeleteAnd churches make a TON of money. It's obscene.
I can't really understand what the big deal is here. Believe what ever you want for yourself, and leave others alone. Personally I think it's all about taxes and SS. If someone can be married, they can collect SS benefits when the spouse dies, etc.
ReplyDeleteAll this talk though, and still many states don't allow gay adoption, married or not. Which is a shame, because the gays I know who have raised children, have raised them to be pretty damn tolerant of everyone else.... even the bible thumping assholes.
Okay... end rant... :)
I just can't understand why people care about homosexuality. Love. And how the love of two people is a threat to me or my children or the future of our country.
DeleteAnd my cousin, the person behind my passionate defense of gay rights, gently told me this week that, "Dick can't help how he feels. He is a product of his environment, and his fear and loathing aren't his fault. Mostly, I feel sorry for him. He's in need of compassion and understanding. Don't be mad at your brother. Love him."
How can you NOT read something that says "feel free to skip." I get older and realise that everything isn't black and white but there are still people who refuse to see what's in front of them. As Wendy says " Great pseudonym." I'm looking forward to your post on "my bar fight with a redneck" :-)
ReplyDeleteBe lucky, Spanner.
I don't go to bars. :)
DeleteAnd I think that aging has a bit to do with it, I used to fear homosexuality, too. I was raised to think that way. I'm glad I broke free.
ReplyDeleteHolier Than Thou's....I can live without them.
Loved your snarks and observations. :0)
I can live without them, too. Makes me crabby. :)
DeleteSnarky should be MY pseudonym!
What bullshit.
ReplyDeleteTithing.
A friend of mine tithed as well. She contributed so much that when she was in a financial bind instead of giving less to the church she literally ONLY ATE FUCKING RICE FOR TWO WEEKS.
I could not believe how this good friend of mine, whom I considered SMART would do such a thing. Go hungry so a fucking church could get a new addition built. Pisses me off to this day.
I can tell! :)
DeleteIt makes me angry, too. The tax exempt status of churches (even though we pay taxes to support their fire, police protection etc) the way they treat "the evil gays", the way their God hates everyone they do...
As for giving money, I think if people want to help other people, they should find ways that don't have anything to do with any sort of middle man. Church or charitable organization. Just person to person. Anonymously if possible.
Of course that's just what *i* think... ymmv.