Followers

Thursday, October 15, 2020

While we're on the subject of faith...

I once was suspected of harboring the devil.

At least that's how I interpreted it.

I know, I know, a fat housewife with a warped sense of humor and a smartassy attitude isn't usually someone to fear, but apparently I was pretty scary.

Back in about 2002, I signed Lyssa up for a public school sponsored program. It was intended to be a supplemental thing.
Electives, really.
PE, art, band, drama.

She enjoyed the classes for the most part. One of the things we had to agree to in signing up for these classes was that we'd attend the two days per week for 12 weeks as the funding for the program was contingent on attendance.

I had conversations with several homeschooling moms during those weeks.

One morning after I'd dropped Lyssa off, one decided to stop and talk to me in the hallway at the other end of the building.

She was friendly, we chatted about homeschooling (she'd just started) and about the classes being offered.

Then she asked me, "What curriculum do you use?"
That's a standard homeschooler question, or was back then at least.
"Oh we don't use curriculum. We learn from all kinds of things."

She looked surprised. We had a little bit of conversation about it, she was under the impression that it wasn't possible to teach a child to read without first teaching them phonics. She didn't think kids would learn anything if you didn't MAKE them do lessons. She used christian curriculum, she told me, and suggested that everyone should.

I told her that my older kid had done very well without all that stuff and that neither of my children had ever had a phonics lesson.
She looked skeptical, but let it go.

Then she asked, "What church do you go to?"

"Oh we don't do church. We're atheists."

The change in her demeanor was just...stunning.
She gasped. Physically stepped back from me, mouth open, eyes wide.
She raised her hand, palm toward me.

And from her mouth (loudly) came this sentence, all the words shoved together and spewing forth like a waterfall.

"SatanIBindYouInTheNameOfJesusChrist!!" she said, and turned from me and RAN out the door. She jumped in her vehicle and I swear to you, the tires chirped as she left the parking lot.

She withdrew her two daughters from the program immediately, never mind about the 12 weeks thing. I heard from one of the registration moms that she'd called and said that she did not want her daughters hanging out with the children of unbelievers and that if the school wanted to offer these classes again, perhaps they should screen the  participants a little better.

What's the old Groucho Marx quote?
Ah, found it.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.

Ah, the good old days.






14 comments:

  1. Oh those good Christian types who hate all people who aren't exactly like them or following their cult doctrine. Such great behavior for a Christian right? I abhor organized religion!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too.
      And yes, great behavior. They wonder why people are cynical and do not trust them. THAT'S why. Because they're goddamn hypocrites. It makes me wish there were consequences in the afterlife, but alas. No afterlife. Just sleep.

      Delete
  2. One of the many reasons I shun organized religions - the utter hypocrisy so many of the "true believers" have. 'Love thy neighbor' my ass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's astounding. I have a brother who is loudly religious. I think a lot of it is virtue signalling to his god, "Look! I am not afraid to stand up proudly and believe in you, God!" I also think it's a form of fire insurance. He believes just in case, or rather pretends to. Just in case.

      Delete
  3. Many years ago, my then wife made a warm housecoat out of material with tiny black penguins on the white material. When I say tiny, I mean about 1/4" tall. She topped the housecoat with a black velvet hood. One day while wearing it, she answered the door to find two JW missionaries. Misinterpreting the penguins as some type of satanic symbol, they literally ran from our house. Strangely, we never had any JWs ring out doorbell again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's that easy to get rid of them?
      I may have to break out the sewing machine!!
      Haha, just kidding... they don't seem to bother me. Probably the sign that clearly states NO RELIGION.

      Delete
  4. Well, you know that I know exactly what you experienced. I was kicked out of the homeschooling group I organized in the first place. In fact, heck, we moved 2,500 miles to get away from that way of thinking and perceiving the world. In that way, I am grateful. We love it in Oregon and it gave me the chance to become friends with YOU, you Satanist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are now OUT as a friend of Satan!

      I remember your story about visiting a fellow homeschooling mom and that person asking you and your child to wait outside her home on the curb for your ride because she did not want you inside her house.

      There are few things as crazy as religion.

      I know some people who are believers and try to live their lives in a moral fashion. Do unto others and all that. I know a lot of atheists who live their lives the same way.

      They have decency in common. And no amount of religion will ever fix certain people.

      What's the saying? Good without God.

      Delete
  5. "SatanIBindYouInTheNameOfJesusChrist!!"
    BWAHAHAHAHA! I LOL'd at this. You should have gotten a group together and paid them a visit on Sunday all dressed in your satan best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never occurred to me. :)
      She was genuinely horrified that I was there in all my atheist glory. Allowed to be out in public just like a regular person.

      I kinda feel sorry for her, being stuck in that lifestyle.

      Delete
  6. HA HA HA HA. Well it probably wasn't all that funny at the moment, but still. For the love of all things holy that is NOT Christian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. It's off into the land of fanaticism and mental illness.
      She was kind of stupid, really. Very limited in her thinking. I did laugh after it happened. I found it funny and still do.

      Delete
  7. That's hilarious! Religious Fanaticism can be some darkly interesting stuff that is way scarier than they realize. Most of those types leave me alone, I'm certain they think I'm a Witch and I'm Okay with that perception to keep the Fundies at bay and in their own Lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a very detailed sign on my front door regarding who should not knock on the door and bug me. So far it seems to work except for one of those frozen food truck guys who disturbed me a couple times before I told him not to come back. I wish I had the courage for the words 'fuck off' but alas... not in that case.

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?