Followers

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Hey, at least I don't work for Johnson and Johnson?

Had to stop at our local Sprawlmart last week for a few things. I needed a shirt for my dad's Christmas gift, the one I dyed for him didn't turn out the way I wanted it to and upon further inspection, I decided it was too thin, I wanted to give him something a little nicer. Has to be white, 100% cotton, decent quality.

We did the grocery shopping on Sunday, but we didn't get several things we needed because as usual, everything didn't make it on the list.

So because I needed to stop at Walmart anyway, I got the other little things we needed.

Apparently we missed the daily pep rally today, though.
If a person gets there early enough in the morning, the manager of the store and the poor schmucks who work there can be found gathered in one area of the store. In ours, it's the paint department.

And you can hear them all over the store, clapping, chanting, cheering. On occasion I have walked past them as they were going through the motions. It was quite obvious from the looks on more than one face that it's just as humiliating and stupid as it sounds.

I know I'm not the only person who hated that kind of shit in school. I hate it now, too. Actually I pretty much hated everything about school, an opinion that has not changed in the years since I escaped from institutional schooling.

What a disrespectful thing to do to the people who work for you.
Whoever came up with that shitty idea ought to be slapped in the head
every single time some poor store has their pep rally. Bet it wouldn't take very long to catch on.

Last week, Lyssa and I stopped at our local Fred Meyer. And damned if there wasn't some kind of rah-rah thing going on there, too. It was abundantly clear that the poor saps who'd been forced to stand around in the Christmas Crap were not appreciating their forced participation.

Although the company I work for does its share of pooping on the little guys, at least it's done semi-privately, as any self-respecting sweatshop oughta.

While I was pondering this evening, I recalled a joke that made the rounds on the internet several years ago. I don't want to take the time to type the whole thing up. And I don't want to copy and paste it, either. So you get a link. If you haven't heard the joke, it will probably make you laugh. If you have heard the joke, it's still funny, dammit.

11 comments:

  1. Giving your employees a pep talk isn't bad, but forcing them to join in as though they were overjoyed is hideous. Pay them a bit more and it may not be so forced, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pep talk is something done in the office, mano a mano. Or womano a womano. Or mano a womano. Or womano a mano... well, you get it.

      The public chanting and pep rally stuff should have been left in middle school.

      And Walmart treats their employees like shit. They could definitely afford to pay them more and treat them like human beings.

      Occasionally I shop there, since my family's bottom line is more important than my principles. I think I have my priorities straight most of the time...

      Delete
  2. One measure of your success will be the degree to which you build up others who work with you. While building up others, you will build up yourself.

    James E. Casey

    The man took a bicycle and a telephone and made it into a multi billion dollar logistics company. He did it by treating people with respect and expecting everyone who works with him to do the same. (not always the case) But it is unfortunate that others can't learn from his example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. It's too bad that someone who sets an example like that is an anomaly rather than the norm. Imagine what the world would be like if everyone treated everyone else with respect!

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmas & a happy , healthy 2016 to you & yours.
    (((hugs)))Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, too. Hoping all the best for you and your family.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for linking me up to my laugh. :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to make at least one person laugh every day.

      Delete
  5. I understand that Home Depot does this also. It's ridiculous to me to make adult employees go through such crap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I imagine the managers don't love it, either. Having to force other people to do stupid shit like that AND pretend you think it's okay just to keep your job... very disrespectful.

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?