Followers

Monday, August 04, 2014

Barbarian Rituals

This isn't a post about scratching in private places, picking your nose, belching in public or tailgate parties.

Just thought I'd get that out of the way.

Didn't want you to be afraid I was gonna talk about ballsweat or something.

Although I'm sure you're not surprised that I actually have a story about that. I thought I'd already written it, but in a cursory search of my blog this morning, did not find it.

::making mental note to talk about balls soon:::

Yes, today's topic has been approached with my usual irreverence.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Funerals.
My maternal grandparents were very proper people. My grandmother was from an old money Denver family. Maids, nannies and a whole lot of money.

My grandfather's family was also on the have rather than the have not side of the scale. They didn't get there by having it handed to them, though. They worked very hard for what they had. Years and years in the florist business, building things from the ground up.

He and my grandmother took over the business from his parents while his parents moved to a new town and started over. They had an entire city block under glass. Many beautiful things grew there, it was a favorite place for me to visit as a child and still springs into full bloom (ha) in my memory. I can see every nook and cranny of the flower shop, smell the Carnations and the Stephanotis and see the big blooms of the mums and hydrangeas.
It's been physically gone for many years, and doesn't exist except in my memories.
I'm glad to have it. :)

When my grandparents and their business did funeral flowers, they put a great deal of thought and effort into making them beautiful.

Giving people a proper farewell was then, and is now, a very lucrative business, but their heart was really in the right place, I think. Making sure the friends and family of the deceased are spoken to with compassion and that their wishes are followed is extremely important, and was something they were both very good at.

More of 'the customer is always right' philosophy.
Although I don't agree with the sentiment that they're always right, I do miss the society that spawned those ideas.

There was more compassion and more care then than there is now. A person who wronged you was often apologetic and tried not to hurt you again.

We've definitely changed.

For people who were in the flower business, and very conscious of their place in the community and keeping up appearances, my grandparents were surprisingly pragmatic and thrifty in their choice of funeral arrangements for themselves.

They both wanted to be cremated, and agreed that whichever one went first would wait until the other one went, then their ashes were to be scattered at the site of their first date.

My mom found it disturbing and odd that they chose cremation, particularly since they'd spent so many years helping others with their funerals and flowers. I think my mom's religious beliefs played a part in her discomfort, too. Or rather her religion causes her to be upset when things don't seem... normal for want of a better word.

She still has that inner business person, too. "What will people think!!??" sometimes to her detriment.

What started this train of thought was a conversation on Facebook in a group I'm part of. One of the members had driven family to a funeral, but was not attending. This person found the whole thing barbaric.

I do, too. Barbaric and astonishing. I hope my family honors my wishes when I am gone. I want to be cremated, too. I don't want a bunch of people to gather 'round and cry and moan and be sad. I want people to continue and think of me on occasion and be glad they knew me.

Of course, they might choose to spend a fortune on a completely unnecessary funeral and a cemetery plot. Useless, of course. But I won't care and won't be able to do anything about it if they do.

My great grandmother used to say of a man she had heard sing at many funerals, "When I die, I want him to sing at my funeral."
After she learned that he was a crooked businessman, she said she'd changed her mind and would like to sing at his funeral instead.
So what do you think about funerals?
What would you like yours to look like?
 

9 comments:

  1. I, too, laughed until I cried at that news item. UNTIL I CRIED!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee... I am glad I'm not the only person who remembered it. :)

      Delete
  2. Well, we are getting to age we should be thinking about our funerals, but so far, haven't written anything down for the kids. My sis wants to be cremated, and I think we'll go that way, too, even though, in our community, very few choose that option. It is about 1/3 of the cost of a casket! Our services will be in our community church, with rejoicing that we are 'absent from the body, and present with the Lord'. I'd like a few hymns sung, not very many flowers, because I'd rather the money went to a good project. I guess, in the end, I don't really care. Your post was thought provoking, but I miss your stories about your 'kids'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have SO MANY things to say about my kids!! Just no time to write right now. I'll be back, though. :)

      Delete
  3. I believe funerals are very private, so honestly, I avoid them at all costs. I also believe that they are for the living, not the dead. I mean who hosts a party they can't even attend??? :)

    My ex husband, as you may remember, wanted to be cremated and spread into the ocean. The thought was that no matter where on earth the boys ended up, they could always go to the water (since it's all connected) and "be" with him when the needed to. And that is just what the boys did (I think it's a post called December 12, 2011 if you feel like checking for it).

    Tony has one rule for funerals/burials/cremation.

    "Just make SURE I'm dead. Because if I wake up in a box, or on fire, I'm gonna be pissed."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those events very well. I know that it's supposed to be bad to be glad someone is gone, but since I live a long way away and *I* thought he was better gone, I say good riddance. Other than the sadness for your kids, it is pretty much a good thing to have him gone.
      Love Tony's rule! lol

      Delete
  4. weird, have not thought at all about my funeral,figure it will be what it is , I have no particular wishes for my remains, just dont leave 'em in the house I guess

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know BUT the one thing I do know I want is a good obituary picture. One of me looking happy - big ass smile showing me looking like how I think I am when I am happy. Haven't quite found that picture yet, but am on the look out and will designate my friend Krissy the ONE who makes sure that is the picture that gets in the paper or whatever since I'm sure my Hubby will have no clue, even if I tell him.........

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to be cremated, hubby wants to be buried. I want no flowers, (flowers are for the living) and I want no service... although what my family decides, I won't have a choice in the matter) If someone wants to visit me, do it while I'm living, not after I'm gone.

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?