Followers

Saturday, August 04, 2012

Playing Possum


I got up about 3 AM Friday because I really, really, really had to go. It wasn't one of those, 'well I will try to go back to sleep' things... I would have exploded.

So I grabbed my flashlight from beside the bed. I don't always do that, but I was really groggy and thought maybe I'd be able to navigate a little better if I did. It's so damn bright that I have to put my hand over most of it, but it certainly lights the way.

I got into the bathroom, laid the light on its side still on, facing the wall by the sink and sat.

Now one of the things that has happened in our marriage is that when one of us gets up, the other one does, too. Same reason. Tinkle tinkle.

So when I heard a little brushing/rustling sound at the door, I thought it was Eric. I started to say, "Hang on a second." when I saw... something walking on the floor by the door.

I was not alone.

I attempted to focus. 'Oh holy shit it's a rat. Shit shit shit.'

I yelled. "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

Then I focused a little better. It was not a rat, it was a small possum. In my bathroom. I am really glad I took my flashlight with me, because I really don't take it quite often.

I finished peeing. Tore off some tp, watching the little guy pace back and forth in front of the door, ready to raise my feet up if I had to.

Yelled, "ERIC!!!"

No answer. I climbed into the tub, figuring that at least the little guy wouldn't climb up my leg in fear, and bellowed for my husband again.
I heard his feet going through the house, but not in my direction.

Yelled again. "ERIC!!!"
Heard his faint, "What?!??"

"IN THE BATHROOM!!!"



He came to the door. I said, "Open the door a TINY crack!! There's a possum in here."

Silence.
"A what?!"

"A possum. It's a little guy."

"A possum?"

"Yeah, you know, possum?"

"Well what do you want me to do?"

"Get a laundry basket, we can trap him under it."

He was back in a moment, and he opened the door just a crack again. The possum, seeing the motion, ran behind the toilet.

Eric came in, shut the door and turned on the overhead light. Poor little possum was scared and quivering, trying to climb up the little silver hose that connects the toilet to the water supply. Feeling trapped.

I understood and sympathized, since I was still trapped in the bathtub. :)

Lyssa was standing outside the bathroom saying loudly, "What's going on???" and I was trying to tell her we had a 'possum in the house, no I did not know how it got in and Dad was catching it, hang on.'

He got the little guy into the basket on the 2nd try and headed for the back door of the house. Lyssa (who I learned later woke up at my first 'Aaaaaaaaaaa!') opened it up for him and he took the little critter outside and tipped the basket into the shrubbery along the fence. Mission accomplished.

So Eric used the facilities while Lyssa and I had a conversation about the events.

She said, "I heard you yell at first. But I thought maybe I was dreaming. Then, I heard you yell 'Eric!'." And in the classic hands up, pushing away gesture, she said, "I figured if you were yelling Dad's name it was not my business." Which of course, totally cracked me up.

After I yelled for him again, she decided it was okay to get up and see what was going on.

Is it nutty that while I was standing in the bathtub, I thought about my camera? Thought, wow, this would be great for my blog if I had a photo....

::Snicker::

So I consulted teh Google. This is pretty much what the little guy looked like, except mine looked more... nervous.





22 comments:

  1. It's kinda cute. I wonder how it did get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a rather large gap under our front screen security door. We're pretty sure he was just wandering around and came thru under there.

      We have it blocked now, although we've been using that door for 10 years and this is the first time (that we know of... haha) that we've had a critter come in through there.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:55 AM

      Totally too funny! Laurel

      Delete
  2. Baby anythings look cute to me. (((hugs)))Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He/She/It? Was really cute. I didn't have time to appreciate the finer points of cuteness, though. Things happened pretty fast.

      I really, really wish I'd thought about taking a photo.

      :)

      Delete
  3. Awww poor little guy. Hope he found his way home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, too. Eric said it was more than big enough to be separated from its mom, and that it would do just fine. And of course it's not like we drove it out to the country, we just let it go in the same back yard it probably lives in.
      :)

      Since we don't have Maggie anymore, we have a lot more critters, raccoons, skunks, cats, squirrels.

      Delete
    2. We had them in the storm cellar when we lived in Oklahoma. They can be vicious, but are beneficial in your yard as they keep the rodent population at bay.

      Delete
  4. Wonder how the little feller got in? Check your utility room. Do you have a pet door? That's why I never had one. I preferred to let my dogs out, so I know for sure what came and went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a rather large gap under our front screen security door. We're pretty sure he was just wandering around and came thru under there.

      Eric is putting something on the bottom of it just in case, but we've never had any trouble before. Just a freak thing, I guess. Every time I got up last night, I was sure to shine my flashlight allllll over the place.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous3:29 PM

    D'awwww! So cute, but such a surprise in the middle of the night. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a cute little thing. My hubby stood there holding the laundry basket going 'awww' and Lyssa was glad she had been awake to see it, too.

      And yes, a surprise. Of a variety I really don't care to have again.

      Delete
  6. Wow! That is a lot of drama for a middle-of-the-night pee break! I would have screamed like a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it did surprise me, but I didn't panic or freak out. I'm sure partly due to the magic of modern pharmaceuticals. But it was just a small possum. Much different than a crabby adult one.

      Delete
  7. ROFL - I love this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's 'cause YOUR bathroom doesn't have any possums.
      :)

      Delete
  8. Now that would totally freak me out in the wee hours of the AM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute, but Holy crap ! that would have woke me up in a hurry too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so weird...I went right back to sleep, no trouble at all.

      Delete
  10. Holy cow!! I do wonder how he got in...and where is momma is. (last statement said to make you a tad paranoid, cuz I'm nice that way.( : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. s/he was big enough to no longer need Mom... she's probably out with Dad, making more babies.

      Nice try, though.

      It got in under the front security door, but now that we have it blocked, I'm pretty sure it won't happen again.

      Not 100% positive, of course. I still go into the bathroom in the dark AFTER shining my flashlight alllll around.

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?