One of the unique things about my program is that the kids can rearrange items in our space to suit themselves. For that reason, I pile up the beanbag chairs in a haphazard stack when we bring them out of the back room. We also have four kid-sized folding camp chairs I found at Goodwill the first year I worked at my school, a couple of padded seats with backs that sit on the floor and various small rugs they sometimes use to sit on, too.
Because our storage is limited, I have many large rubbermaid containers that stack on our roll around carts when I put everything away in the mornings in the back room.
I'm not sure how it really started, but at least once a week, the kids build a restaurant.
They use the plastic bins with lids as tables, and put fabric on them for tablecloths. We have a lot of different types of fabric squares with finished edges in our dramatic play area, perfect size for all kinds of uses. Either beanbag chairs or the little folding ones get placed around the tables. I brought in a computer keyboard that no longer worked, found some plastic trays at Goodwill, and we have a huge assortment of plastic food and dishes. I brought in some telephones, Tami donated a couple, too, and the kids love them. Tami also found some restaurant credit card folders in black vinyl, and they love those. I save the plastic credit cards that come in the offers I get here at home, and put them out, too.
So on Monday, Steve* was the restaurant owner. Amy* called him for "a reservation for three at 8 PM sharp."
They conducted this conversation by cell phone. Standing two feet apart, looking at each other as they talked. :)
Amy went and collected Amanda* and Hannah* and they walked to the restaurant's 'entrance', where they were greeted by Steve at the counter.
He got a haughty look on his face. "Do you have a reservation?" he asked.
Amy looked at him condescendingly.
"Of course we have a reservation. It's for Amy at 8 PM SHARP!"
He shuffled through some papers. Frowned. Tapped at the keyboard for a few seconds. Frowned again. Then, "Sorry. I don't have a reservation for you."
"Are you serious?" she asked. "I talked to you personally!!"
He tapped at the computer some more. Looked thoughtful. Held up a finger. "I'll be right back," he said. "Just let me check on something."
He walked away, waited a beat or two, then came back, a broad, generous smile on his face. "You are in luck!" he said. "We had a cancellation!"
So Amy and her friends were seated at one of the tables. She wasn't happy with the arrangement ("I said I wanted COMFORTABLE chairs!" she groused.) and Steve got them different chairs for their table.
Then he took their orders.
We have a lot of plastic food, from sushi to steak to asparagus and spaghetti. There's even some bread, cheese, and fruit in the mix.
So the three girls ordered just about everything there was. He came to me a few times for help with spelling, and sort of winged it for the rest.
He read their order back to them ("Spaghetti for you, steak for you, and sushi for the little lady.")
Then, he went to the 'kitchen' area, where Dustin* was waiting, chef's hat on his head, large spatula in his hand.
Steve read the order to him, and laid the paper on the counter. And Dustin just stood there, looking at him.
So Steve said, "Get cookin'!"
And Dustin said, "I no speak English."
Steve wasn't deterred for long. He laughed a little, then went to Amy and said, "I'm sorry, our cook doesn't speak English."
She looked annoyed. Said, "Let me go talk to him."
Amy got up from her table and walked to the 'kitchen'. And proceeded to read her order to the cook in a loud and exact voice, carefully pronouncing each syllable.
"There." she said. "Now we'll get some dinner!"
I guess the loudness helped, because Dustin began immediately rattling pots and pans and throwing food onto trays.
He dinged the bell and Steve came to get the food. He brought it to the table, and the next set of demands started.
Amy had the spaghetti. He sat the plate in front of her, and she said, "I want Parmesan. Freshly grated Parmesan."
Steve went back to the kitchen and got a little grater and a big piece of plastic cheese and brought it to her. "How much would you like, Ma'am?"
"Just keep grating it until I smile, Chachi." she said, with a perfectly straight face.
Then Amanda said disdainfully, "This milkshake tastes like crap."
Hannah pretended to taste her sushi. "This tastes like RAW FISH!" she exclaimed, tossing it to the floor. "I want to see the manager!"
Steve said, "I am the manager!"
As he said that, his dad came in the back door to pick him up. He didn't want to leave, starting to argue a bit. Hannah's dad came in then, and about 30 seconds later, Amy's dad.
So the game was over, and it was time to clean up.
I don't always get to closely observe everything they're up to because things are so busy, but I was glad to catch most of the game today.
I.Love. My. Job.
I love reading about your job!
ReplyDeleteOh My Gawd! I wouldn't have been able to keep a straight face. ;0) How old did you say these kids are??? Little adults. ;0) Reading to "the end" was like "waking up from a good dream", it ended too quickly. sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh (((hugs)))Pat
ReplyDeletebwah ha ha ha ha
ReplyDeleteOMG! THAT WAS GREAT!!!! definately a good job!
ReplyDeleteThat is SO awesome!!! Hilarious!!!
ReplyDeleteI want to play with these kids! Awesome!
ReplyDeleteAlthough, I do wonder just what kind of restaurant experience these kids have had! ( :
Sounds like these kids have experience with eating out!
ReplyDeleteThis is hysterical. Wonder if some of their parents are those picky restaurant people you see sometimes? :)
ReplyDeleteKeilee STILL loves playing restaurant. :) You really should publish a book about some of your kid stories. You have a gift of writing about them that makes me feel like I am really there!
I no speak English.
ReplyDeleteSo. Frickin'. funny.
Now... I'd like to schedule my reservation with the comfy chairs, for about 8 pm tonight. I'd like the salmon, with asparagus spears on the side, and ice cream for desert.
Mkay. Thanks.
That is hysterical! LOL
ReplyDeleteHahahahahaha omg that is so funny, such smart kids!
ReplyDelete