So I visited the orthopedic doctor this morning.
I scheduled the appointment because my knee is bothering me more as the pain in my shoulder slacks off. Waking me up at night, blah blah blah.
I wanted to have it checked out and see if perhaps I could do another round of PT for it.
The lady at the front desk asked me if I was there for my knee or my shoulder this morning, and I said, "The knee."
The person who escorted me to an exam room asked me if I had brought shorts with me.
Of course I had. I don't like the demeaning/dehumanizing experience of having to wear paper clothing. I avoid it if at all possible.
So I changed into my shorts and the doctor came in and asked me how my shoulder was doing.
I told him.
He asked me to take off my sweatshirt and let him see it. Remember me saying that in case he wanted to see it I'd be ready?
I was. Tank top on underneath the sweatshirt.
We discussed range of motion, the little catch that happens halfway through raising or lowering it, and the fact that I don't need medication for it anymore.
He said he wants me to do another month of rehab. Then they'll schedule me an examination to recheck everything (another MRI... just what everyone needs, huh?) and analyze my range of motion and how well I'm doing.
So we talked about my shoulder.
Then, I said, "But that's not why I'm here."
"Yeah, it is." he said. "I can't treat both things at the same time."
Turns out, he doesn't even have a copy of the IME that was done, or a letter from the insurer that gives an indication of what they have officially accepted responsibility for. He has no copy of what the insurer has decided my diagnosis is, which strikes me as a stupid way to run a railroad.
Seems that if they want what's best for the patient (and obviously they don't) the insurer would sort of, hm, partner with the people treating me.
I'm attempting to rectify that by getting copies of the IME and official letters to be sent to my doctor, but my claims adjuster isn't great at returning phone calls. I just got her voice mail (Hi, this is Chris, it's Thursday, April 1st. I'll be in the office all day and will return your phone call. Leave me a detailed message...) and left her a message.
Then I emailed her.
I hope she calls or emails me back fairly soon.
I got a letter accepting responsibility for the knee injury sometime during my haze phase immediately post shoulder surgery, but my doctor did not get a copy.
Navigating through the worker's compensation insurer for a couple of relatively straightfoward injuries/claims has been a real pain in the ass, and of course it's not over yet. I wish it were.
Anyway, that's where I am. Knee's just gonna have to hurt for awhile longer. At least 10 weeks, since I'm determined to finish out the school year.
Evidently my shoulder is doing well, though. The doctor seems happy with my progress, although he once again exhorted me to 'push that shoulder'. He thinks it should hurt, and that if it isn't hurting me much, I'm not doing enough.
I don't think he's ever had shoulder surgery.
It's good to know they're on top of things, there at your Dr.'s office. Snort.
ReplyDeleteWon't it be nice when both your shoulder and knee are supposed to hurt, not like now, when 1 of them is hurting "on accident."
Sigh.
Way to go Health care~ ...not .Hope they get it saorted out soon . As for pushing your shoulder till it hurts ,listen to your PT and your Shoulder.
ReplyDeleteYour PT knows more than the doctor about the shoulder rehab. Obviously he must never had shoulder surgery. Just like the male OB's have never had a baby. They should get a grapefruit shoved up their ass and then see how it feels. "You will feel a little discomfort" Yeah, sure, how about YOU popping out this 9lb 4 oz baby with the hard head!
ReplyDeleteOh great! :( I hope you hear from your claims adjuster or get the copies of the paperwork you need soon. :::hugs:::
ReplyDeleteI'm just wincing here with memories of being a Paralegal and dealing with workers comp, doctors, IMEs and more... I really feel for you!!!
ReplyDeleteYou need a doctor that can multi-task. You were there for your knee! I don't know how you keep from screaming at them.
ReplyDeleteHugs!!
I've got a lot of catching up to do, as usual. I've been lame on my computer reading. I don't know what you in an uproar in the next post, but I hope your day gets better.
ReplyDeletePete Egoscue: Pain Free
ReplyDeleteExtraordinary. Get it out of the library and give it one week.