Followers

Saturday, March 06, 2010

Individuality is FINE... as long as we all do it together.

When Matt was in 1st grade, each little person in his class colored an apple tree for a display for the upcoming Parent Night.

Matt colored the apples on his tree in different colors. Some were green, some red, some had a bit of yellow.

When I talked to him this morning about it, he recalled that he was trying to duplicate the colors and varieties he'd seen in the grocery store.

He also colored the foliage with several different colors of green, and made the trunk with shades of brown.

His teacher was not happy. First, she (as he says) got in his face, leading with her big chin mole and blasting out coffee breath. She grabbed his box of 96 crayons* and found three crayons for him. Red, green and brown. She slapped them down on his table so hard that she broke one.

Then, she took his box of crayons, told him he could have them back later, and got him a new apple tree picture. She threatened him with, "Your picture will not hang up for parent night if you don't do it right."

She took his crayons and unfinished picture back to her desk.

She got the attention of the rest of the class. Held up Matt's picture, and said, "This is what you DO NOT DO."

Sat down and crumpled up his work and tossed it into the recycle bin.

So he did it her way. He was not happy with his finished project, either. He'd spent so much time trying to be creative with his first attempt that he did not have time to make the second attempt up to his usual standards. When we attended the event, he was embarrassed and apologetic that his picture 'wasn't as good' as the other ones.

I guess he learned a lesson or two from the incident.

*At parent night, she berated me for buying him the large box of crayons for school when the supply list specifically said 24 crayons. "Too many colors," she said, tsk tsk-ing. "It's confusing for the children."

So Matt will be 23 years old in a few months. I find it interesting and not in a good way, that he still remembers a 17 year old incident so vividly.

I recalled that little episode this week after witnessing an incident at the school.

My program is set up in the cafeteria. The kids get out of school at 2:30, and for me to be ready for them, I arrive early to set up the room.

On Thursday, the Kindergarten class was painting on the cafeteria floor. The teacher rolls out long sheets of paper and the kids put their projects on it and paint.

They all look so cute in the big t-shirts they're wearing over their clothing while they paint.

I walked in while the teacher was telling a small boy, "No, we do not paint the kitty pink. Cats are brown and black and white and gray. Sometimes tan."

She then involved the rest of the class. "Are kitties pink?"
"Noooo!" they all chorused.

She turned back to the little boy.

And he said, "But it's a maginary cat!"

She smiled.

"We are not using our imaginations right now. We are painting."

Sometimes I forget that I'm working in a public school.

15 comments:

  1. That is just sad to me! Learning is supposed to be FUN! Maybe she doesn't know where she put her maginary cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me really happy that I homeschool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:01 PM

    Have you ever read The Art Lesson by Tomi DePaola? It's wonderful and addresses the crayon story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that is so unnecessarily restricting. Seriously, what harm could painting your cat pink do? Tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:11 PM

    It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. OMG, not a PINK cat! Nooo! :::shaking head:::

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, no, no, no! That's horrible! I'm thankful that, so far, none of my children have had teachers like this. I have one child whose teacher is a pain in the butt.... But the first 3 who have been through kindergarten, first and second have all had wonderful teachers who loved to see the children's creative sides. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All great reasons to homeschool our kids, huh? Why can't kids color apples their normal colors and why can't kittens be pink?

    I hope the little boy paining the pink cat doesn't fail painting class.

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:59 PM

    Makes me think of John Candy in Uncle Buck, "Here's a quarter. Go downtown and have a rat gnaw that thing of your face."

    I cannot believe these stories! But, with kids in public school in Beaverton,one who had his science teacher yell at him that she was going to "rip his face off" last week, I believe it. Now we are headed for the blessed option schools.
    Pink cats! What's next? Legalizing gay marriage? (This after his social studies teacher said in front of the class that he "looked like the gay kid from Glee".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:02 PM

    p.s. I have been following you forever, but due to privacy I had to make my blog private. It was only pictures anyway. I never have anything good to say.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our oldest had a few teachers like that over the years. I remember a couple I had myself. It's as though these teachers don't realize that, if they can have a good impact on a kid for the rest of their lives they can just as easily have a bad impact on them that can haunt them. It's just sad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These two stories are AWFUL!!! Fortunatley, much of public education is not like this.

    I have such issues with "art projects" where everyone's is supposed to turn out the same. I encourage my students to be creative and try different things.

    This post is a great reminder for all of us, though! I wish every teacher could read it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love putting out a bunch of supplies and telling kids that the only rule is not to waste them.

    It's amazing to see what they come up with.

    And my kids are so excited to take home the things they've created. Makes it worth cleaning up the mess.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Matt does not remember much of his abusive time in school. I think he is trying to block it, actually. At nearly 22, he feels as though a lot of his childhood is gone from his memory. Luckily he has found something he loves (economics) and will graduate from college in May. Sure wish I could take those years back and homeschool him from the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. awww .... it is so hard to remember this sometimes when totally surrounded by it. My daughter is in kindergarten and we do a lot of work at home and I have to bite my tongue (literally) so I do not tell her what to colour!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everything I hate about school in one convenient post! My 15-year-old went to school thru 1t grade and he STILL talks about "incidents".....such formative years.

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?