Followers

Thursday, October 01, 2009

Yes, I'm an educator

I bring in lots of books for my program.

We read every day, and kids are happier reading if they have lots of books to choose from. I occasionally pick up a title or two at Goodwill, and as I've said before, Tami has generously donated a boatload of books, both to my old and new programs. ( I wish I'd been able to bring some of the Magic Tree House and Boxcar Children series books with me when I left my old site, but I didn't think it was cool to take them, ya know? The kids there would have missed them.)

One of the titles I picked up at Goodwill is a DK book called The Ultimate Visual Dictionary. It's a great book... and you can look up just about anything in it.

Have I actually read it? No. Should I have
at least looked through the index before putting it out for the kids to read? Evidently.

I got a phone call from an irate mother on Wednesday morning. Evidently she had to spend a few minutes explaining to her nine year old daughter what a penis is and was NOT happy about it.

It seems that one of the younger girls was showing people pictures in that book Tuesday afternoon and thought she needed to make sure everyone knew there was a picture of a penis in it. I saw some kids looking at it together, but kids often share stuff in the books and I didn't think anything of it.


So now I'm wondering if her daughter actually knew there was a difference between boys and girls before the penis incident.

I mean, I get wanting to protect your child, but if she's worried now that her daughter knows what a penis is, I can't imagine how pissed off she'll be later when she realizes that her child is going to learn all sorts of things in school that are not on her mother-approved list of things to know.

I'm sure I don't want to bring up the subject to any kids... that will just make the whole mess spread like dust. I don't know which kids looked at the book and which ones did not. Better to ignore the incident, at least as far as the kids are concerned, and dump the book.

But I had that book at my old site for ages. Either no one ever noticed the "dirty pictures", or no one found it weird or funny or awkward. Not sure.

You know, if you've been reading here long, that I subscribe to the 'tell kids what they want to know when they want to know it and use scientific or correct terms' school of thought, and I feel that making something dirty or shocking out of it causes hangups in kids. But of course, she's not my kid, and I won't undermine a parent. I certainly didn't disagree with Mom, merely said I'd check into it and thanked her for calling.

I pulled it from the bookcase right after angry mom called, and will happily donate it to a homeschooling family. Anyone want it? It's really a terrific book. They're not cheap unless you're lucky enough to find one at Goodwill or a yard sale.

I'll send it to you free of charge and I'll cover the postage... first commenter who wants it, it's yours.

It's a big book. There are other terribly offensive things in it. In a cursory glance through the index, I found that one can view several different types of vagina as well, from giraffe to chimpanzee.

Caveat Emptor.




11 comments:

  1. Hey Ami if you are serious about the book I'll gladly take it.I am like you and believe children should be taught the scientific names for everything. Heck when I had surgery in May my daughter knew everything that was coming out and why.I told her because she asked for details.Around here we try not to make a big shocking thing about body parts and other items people try to hide from children.If a kid asks I tell;unless it's not my child and then I only tell the basics and do not get into the nitty gritty.If we don't tell them I guarantee another child will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at "penis".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:53 AM

    I have that book. I had it in my classroom as a teacher. No one ever said anything. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids also know the proper terms for things and I get really specific sometimes and teach them words like "patella" and "olecranon" just so I can hear them try to pronounce them.

    Even though Charlotte knows she has a vagina, she still insists on calling her bits "front bum" and "back bum". I have no idea where she picked that up. She saw a picture of a new mommy dog and her pups in the paper a couple of days ago and she knew the puppies came out of the "Mommy dog's bum"

    If my kids really want to be shocked all they have to do is find my Mosby's Medical Dictionary from nursing school. Not only is there a picture of a penis in it, there are several pictures of penises covered in all manner of STDs.(and vaginas too)

    (I'm sorry I missed out on the free book! I love dictionaries!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want the book but I'm probably too late.

    Now, I'm pretty sure that you're not dealing with pre-school children, right? Am I wrong about that? I think her daughter should know what one is and what it looks like in case a boy asks her if she wants one! He he he! I can't believe that the mother hasn't had any sort of talk with her about the differences between a boy and a girl? Seriously? I want to know the age of the girl we're talking about. Please email me!

    Thanks and hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellen4:49 PM

    Uh, sorry, but a nine year old girl in public school most certainly has already learned about the differences between male and female anatomy, and your DK book only provided a clear(er) visual for her. I think it's highly amusing that the mom thinks her daughter has heretofore been sheltered from such worldly notions.

    My guess is that the mom has some anxiety about discussing sexuality with her kid, and the kid has picked up on this as a forbidden topic. Maybe she decided to mention the picture as a way to see if mom was over herself yet, but sadly, that's not the case, and lucky Ami gets to deal with the fallout.

    They sure don't pay you enough to deal with this kind of crap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't hate me! I have an award for you!

    Hugs!!

    Nevermind about emailing me. I just saw Ellen's comment about the girl's age.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goes to show you just never know what pushes people's buttons. What I want to know is, when the mom called-- did she call it a "penis" or make a name up for it :-)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:43 PM

    Playing devil's advocate here, but there is a for a child to know that a boy has a penis and a girl has a vagina and actually seeing one. The mom may not have any hangups over teaching her child about sexuality but instead feels like it's her right to choose whether or not she wants her daughter to see a picture of a penis and not the school's.

    I totally get that you didn't take the book out at circle time and show the kids the pictures, Ami. :) But an attentive parent might not see that at first glance and instead just be frustrated that an opportunity was taken from her. That it wasn't the school systems place to show her daughter.

    Just another view. :)

    And the little boy in the commercial is ADORABLE!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:44 PM

    That should have read "there is a difference for a child to know..." Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhhhhhhh. Got it.

    Well, if her daughter is NINE and still doesn't know what a penis is, this mother has way bigger problems than this book to deal with! Nine?

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?