Here are the offensive pictures from the book. One is a cutaway view, and although the picture isn't great, you can tell the other is a white sculptured sort of thing... neither one worth getting one's butt in an uproar... if you ask me.*
What you can't see on the white page is that the upper right corner of the page has three different creases in it. From being folded down so kids could find the pictures or show them to others easily, I guess. Sorry Teressa, sending you damaged goods. ;)
We've had a tremendous amount of fun with this topic at our house.
First, Lyssa decided that she'd ask me at random times during the day, "Mom? What's a penis?"
I always answer, "Nothing!" or "I'll tell you when you're older!!"
I told my physical therapist about the whole incident Friday. No, I don't know if that's an acceptable topic of conversation where you are but I felt okay discussing it, yes.
He's a married guy with three kids.
With a sense of humor and a quick wit.
I like him quite a bit.
So I told him about the 9 year old from my program and the phone call from the shocked mother.
And he said, "My five year old daughter knows what one is."
In our subsequent conversation, we agreed that when kids ask for information, you give it to them with straightforward terms and honesty, and don't make them feel weird about it. I told him how funny my family thought the whole incident was, and what Lyssa has done with the joke.
So after my appointment was over, I was standing at the reception desk signing a paper and chatting with the office staff.
And my therapist stuck his head out of his office.
"I have a question for you." he said.
"Yes?"
"What's a penis?"
Both of us cracked up while the receptionist rolled her eyes and then said, "I don't even want to know what brought that up."
But I explained anyway. I thought that might be a good idea.
;)
Braden* approached me at work Friday afternoon.
"Um. Did you take any books away from our library?" he asked.
"Why would I do that?" I asked him in return.
He said, "Well, some kids said there was this book with like, some weird pictures or something?"
And I said, "I have no idea what you're talking about."
And managed not to snort hysterically. But it was a near thing.
I guess I should feel bad. He only comes two days a week. And it looks like he missed seeing the pictures.
Maybe I should bring the book back?
Naw. It's headed out in the mail this next week to Teressa.
So, what IS a penis, Ami?
ReplyDelete;)
Those look like medical charts that are in doctors offices. Rolling eyes. Guess I will put something else on my to-do agenda, explain to KJ what a penis is and not make a big deal out of it...the kids probably didnt find the vagina pictures because you can't say that on the news. You can't say 'poo' or 'poop' either, well unless you're referring to winnie the pooh, but you can say penis all you want. Go figure.
ReplyDeleteThat's OK,now I will be able to find the offensive pictures easily.Maybe I will learn something.
ReplyDeleteWhy do some parents try and make something like that offensive.
ReplyDeleteHugs to ya girl! I hope all is well!
I'm happy for Teressa. You know? I would be laughing and joking about the incident too. What does that mother have to gain by not telling her daughter what a penis is? You are gonna get some weird hits from this post! You know that right?
ReplyDeleteHey, WHAT'S A PENIS?
Hugs!!
I think my mother time warped to your class.
ReplyDeleteDid she insist you not tell me about Kotex too while back in 1977?
Can't promise I'll be back to regular blogging right now. Momma is a real handful. Hopefully soon. But do hope to pop in a little more.
ReplyDeleteOMG! That's so funny! I don't know how I missed the original post. I had to go back and look at it.
ReplyDeleteIt's a good thing that lady doesn't have a SON.
Baby Boy was running around trying to attack anyone who would stand still with his penis.
I had to remind him that just because it's a normal natural apparatus and all boys have them . . . it doesn't mean you can just "whip it out" whenever you feel the inclination.
When he said, "WHY?" I had to answer, "Because, Mommy doesn't have time to go to jail right now."
HA!
Personally, I think everyone should get their panties out of a wad about the human body in general. But I know that many parents would have a problem with this so we might as well eliminate the potential for a problem.
ReplyDeleteSorry I missed this post earlier!
I am so excited to see 'porn' being enjoyed that is educational. Good 'porn' that teaches the parts of the body is hard to find!
ReplyDeleteSo.funny...I.remember.those.books...and.the.dictionary...we.used.the.dictionary.quite.a.bit.lol.
ReplyDelete