Followers

Monday, December 01, 2008

Barky

I've been sick for a month.

Not the 'lie down and alternate between wondering if the bug is going to kill me or wishing I could just die and get it over with' kind of sick, but just sort of punky, as my Gramie Fern used to say.

I've had a cough that just won't quit.
One morning a couple weeks ago I coughed so hard and so long I barfed on my bathrobe.
I won't tell you how many times I peed a little because I was coughing so hard, but I kept running out of clean underwear.

There have been several nights in the last few weeks that I have ended up getting out of bed and taking cough syrup so I can stop coughing myself out of sleep.

I cough and cough and cough, and in the words of my doctor, "It's not a productive cough."

Now the cough syrup is nice because I sleep like a brick when I take it, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you what a terrible idea it is to take Codeine all the time. I take a quarter to a half dose, just enough to calm the cough, but still.

Back in August, I took Lyssa to see Dr. Dirtball.
She came home from camp sick, remember? I waited a week, thinking she might get better on her own, but after eight days of it, I took her in.

Dr. Dirtball said that what she usually does is treat for a bacterial infection if the person isn't getting noticeably better after a week. She prescribed and Lyssa got better practically overnight.

Not too long after, I caught whatever it was Lyssa had and took my own trip to the doctor. She prescribed the same antibiotic for me that she had for Lyssa and added the bonus cough syrup.

For some reason (can't remember why) I didn't end up getting the prescription filled right away, and started getting better on my own. So a week or so later, I did get it filled, but it's been in the cupboard since then.

Saturday morning, while I was sitting at the kitchen table painting ornaments and coughing, I had a Eureka! moment.
I realized I've been sick for an entire month. That is considerably more than eight days. (Amazing how I figured that out, huh?)
So I pulled the Amoxicillin out of the cupboard.

It's Sunday as I write this (you don't get to read it until Monday at the earliest... don't you love the internet?) and things are FINALLY breaking up.

I won't go into great detail, (re-reading # 5 in yesterday's post will explain a bit) but I'm feeling better!
Enough that I really notice it.
Yay.

But. While I'm trying to sleep, I have nose whistles and throat noises. This weird wheezy thing that wakes me up like 20 times a night. I do hope it means I'm better. I don't want to have to go see Dr. Dirtball.

2 comments:

  1. Dr. dirtball haha... Umm, when the Dr. give you medicine hun you need to take IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Momma's Dr had to do a blood check to see what infection medicine would work on her bacteria infection.

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?